• 06-14-2004, 06:25 PM
    JeffBrecklin
    will my sony reciever be under powered
    Hi i was wondering if my sony reciever will be way under powered. Right now it is hooked up to smaller advents. It is rated at 120 watts total system power ate 4 ohms. The model number is STR--AV460.

thanks jeff
  • 06-14-2004, 08:56 PM
    This Guy
    Geez this is getting annoying. Does it power ur speaks to a volume that you would like without much distortion or clipping? Only you can tell us that, and you didn't tell us which specific model of Advents they are so how should we know?
  • 06-14-2004, 09:37 PM
    aurobot
    actually, the smaller advent is a specific model, a two-way design from the early 70s. they're an eight-ohm design and jeff's rcvr is rated, i'm guessing, 46 watts nominal per channel. that's about right for an older advent speaker. their efficiency is similar to older bostons, middle to upper 80s db per watt at one meter. of course it depends on what you want to do with them. you won't rattle any windows with them (well, maybe a little). my guess is your ears will get tired of the sony after a while and you'll be craving a used, pretty cheap denon or yamaha integrated which will make the advents sound SO much better. better yet, a rotel or luxman (these will be more expensive but still cheap, and vastly superior to new junk that you'll pay four times for and will sound far worse). keep an eye peeled.
  • 06-15-2004, 11:56 AM
    This Guy
    Ooh, haha sorry my bad. Yeah the older speakers didn't handle a whole lot of power. About 50 watts RMS was not uncommon for a three way with a 10-12" woofer. But it really doesn't matter how much they handle, when you start hearing them distort, just turn it down and never go that loud again.
  • 06-15-2004, 01:16 PM
    JeffBrecklin
    thanks
    Thanks for you help guys.