Thread: Why have a pre?

Forum Regular

Why have a pre?

There are many preamplifiers out there. Why purchase one, if you have a nice enough amp? Buy a volume control or a passive pre and save $. Or, invest in a Vintage McIntosh amp.

Just my opinion.
    I must be wrong. Yes, I must.

It is true that you can directly connect say your DVD player to an amp for playback. The purpose of a preprocessor is to allow you to connect multiple types of equipment for use as a switching device. (CD, DVD, TUNER, SAT, TAPE, etc.). Otherwise each time you wanted to switch a piece of gear you would have to unplug the current device and then connect the new device to your amp. Preprocessors also have added features such as pre-amplification (getting the signal up to a set standard), tone controls, matrix decoding of surround encoded materials, video up/down conversion, etc. That is why the receiver is so popular. It combines the amp/preprocessor/tuner together into one unit. The motivational drive to buy separates is that if one component breaks or you want a later version then you just replace that one piece. Amps can last for many decades, so many people buy a good quality amp then just replace the other pieces of the system. Hope this helps.

Forum Regular
    Some people also report that their preamps improves the sound a bit.
    Im not sure in what field and how, but it does happen.

Quote Originally Posted by brigrizzme
    There are many preamplifiers out there. Why purchase one, if you have a nice enough amp? Buy a volume control or a passive pre and save $.
    There are a number of matching issues. Passives are far more cable sensitive and require low capacitance runs which is difficult with long interconnects. If not, there can be a noticeable high end rolloff. Gain (as in having enough) is another potential issue. Naturally, if you have a phono source then you need both the phono EQ and a bunch of gain.

Having said that, I use passives on my two audio systems and use a preamp in one only for the phono source. I use short and very low cap cables. On the garage system, I cannot fully drive the power amp with the CDP. I don't consider that a problem because it plays loudly enough. That would not do, however, for my main system.

I find them to be of great benefit when the system is properly matched.

rw

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

it's all about control

Quote Originally Posted by brigrizzme
    There are many preamplifiers out there. Why purchase one, if you have a nice enough amp? Buy a volume control or a passive pre and save $. Or, invest in a Vintage McIntosh amp.

Just my opinion.
    I must be wrong. Yes, I must.
    While I'm a purist at heart, a powered preamp is sometime required, as all of your sources may not have the required gain. A pre that allows you to switch from powered to passive is a good choice.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Thread Information