Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Mr Peabody
  • 1 Post By bfalls
  • 1 Post By topspeed

Thread: ADVICE FOR BUYING: Onkyo TX-DS575X VS Yamaha HTR-2064

AR Newbie Registered Member

Question ADVICE FOR BUYING: Onkyo TX-DS575X VS Yamaha HTR-2064

I will be very grateful if someone who is well versed in AV receivers to help me decide which of these should I buy for nearly the same price. The Yamaha is 100 euros and the Onkyo is 85 euros.
    I couldn't find on the internet the year of manufacture of both of them but I can see that Yamaha is much newer with HDMI ports.
    Both of them are in excellent shape, maybe Yamaha slightly better because is newer.
    PLEASE HELP ME With this one.
    REGARDS and THANKS.

Suspended
    If you will be using the receiver for home theater the choice is easy, the Yamaha for HDMI connections. With that being said I couldn't find much info on that receiver, looks like it was sold as a HT package called IT96. In the beginning Yamaha was one of those companies who put HDMI on the receiver but it could only pass video but not audio which sort of defeated it's purpose. So do some research on this unit or ask questions from the seller.

If more for music or difficult speakers to drive, the Onkyo has a better amp section. It's conservatively rated a 70 watts x 5 channels.

What type of TV and sources do you have? The industry is beginning to offer 4k video, and even with 1080p Blu-ray a receiver with HDMI and to be able to decode DTS-MA & Dolby HD would be a must in my book. Many TV's are now phasing out those older analog video connections as well.
    BorkaaAAaa likes this.

Suspended
    I was able to find info on the Yamaha IT96 HTIB receiver. The specs don't really look that bad for a HTIB. It provides amp specs down to 2ohm loads. This to me means that it's components are capable of handling the higher current of the difficult loads. Not something I'm used to seeing on "boxed" systems. Its ratings into 8, 6, 4, 2,=ohms are 100W, 130W, 160W and 180W. I rarely believe everything I read, but I've had several Yamaha amps and receivers and never been disappointed. Not as musical as some receivers, but OK for the most part and very dynamic for HT.
    BorkaaAAaa likes this.

If the avr is mainly for music, I'm inclined to go with Mr. P lean towards the Onkyo, although there is certainly nothing wrong with Yamaha. If you're looking more towards home theater, the Yamaha is really your only choice between the two.

Here's the part you're not going to like: if this is for HT and you're at all interested in 4K sometime in the future, you're going to need a newer avr that has HDCP2.2 decoding, otherwise you won't be able to get a 4K picture. Everything from source to monitor will need to be 2.2 compliant for 4K to work now. Sucks, but that's the rules.
    BorkaaAAaa likes this.

Suspended
    Falls, is the 2064 a straight up A/V receiver, or, the heart of a HTIB? I'm wondering since HTIB typically come with speakers if the crossovers and other settings will be fixed opposed to variable that would make it compatible with any speaker. Also, HTIB, typically come with a passive sub opposed to powered. It it's not a true A/V receiver I'd pass on the Yamaha.

Also, Yamaha, and a few others, did some squirrelly stuff with HDMI in the beginning, borderline deceptive. In my opinion it took Onkyo to come out with the old tx603 to set the industry straight. Seems like after that year A/V receivers became full featured, with fully functioning features.

I have to say though I like the Marantz receiver better that replaced an Onkyo tx515 I was using in that room, the sound quality was better.

I agree with Mr P, I made the switch to Marantz a year and a half ago and I really like the way they are built and work not to mention they seem to sound smoother and have a much smoother high end than most receivers. Now I don't use my Marantz for anything music related unless I am just streaming audio while having guests over so it is only for media use as a home theater unit but the sound seems much better than the Yamaha that I had used for years. As far a reliability they are all fine units and will fit the bill and between the two go with the one with the newer inputs and processing if it is going to be your only unit you use for everything since it will process more

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

First to thank you mate
    The thing is that for now my resources are quite limited and because I am buying them used I would normally bet for the one that's more resilient and qualitative. I like Onkyo myself better cause I had stereo receiver Onkyo and was Awesome. It also has metal front panel so you can't damage it easily in difference to the Yamaha which is plastic. My only predilection towards Yamaha is that is very much newer.
    I saw it yesterday its in good condition just few scratches on the front panel.
    I will see the onkyo which is 20 $ cheaper by the way, but on the picture it looks very new and and quite well preserved.
    I have JBL TLX 710 floor-standing speakers, and I have three more samsung satelite speakers but I am not so prone for surround. Maybe some day when I will invest 2-3000 $ in it. And I do not have 4K TV just new 43" LG full HD.
    I also bumped when I searched the web 3-4 guys that had some problems with the same Yamaha avr.

Thank to all of you guys for your opinions

Here is another resource Yamaha *RX-V477 Handbook Free PDF Download for you to refer to. This buyer's guide is very useful. You can certainly check the year of manufacture. Please check Manuals & Guides Free PDF Download on Manualgo.com for all kinds of manuals should you have any questions about Yamaha and Onkyo.

Thread Information