Forum Regular

Question Marantz PM 17 + CD 17

I've just bought a system which consists of Marantz PM 17 MK2 M and CD 17 MK3. I've bought this setup for (in my opinion), a great bargain of £760. The amp and cd is in used condition but they're only 3 months old and practically brand new. Unfortunatly, my equipment will arrive in mid-January. I didn't test it before the purchase. I just bought it as the price was, in my opinion, reasonable..

I have a pair of B&W DM601s3 to go with my new audio equipment. What is the general concensus on this amp and cd-player? What can I expect? Have I done a good purchase?

Please keep in mind that this is my FIRST hi-fi 2 channel equipment. I had a decent (at best), Denon AVR 1403 and used my DVD-900 as source.
    Last edited by iSteal; 12-31-2005 at 12:36 PM.

You have done very good for your first purchase. Marantz makes very good equipment and the 17 series is one of their best. Definetly a notch above Rotel, NAD and Cambridge in the same price area. Your weak link will now be the cables and B&W's. I would recommend going out to listen to some others speakers, keep your mind open for these Technologys

Planar Magnetic
    Ribbon speakers
    Electrostatic Speakers
    Horn speakers
    Single driver speakers

A speaker doesnt not have to follow the normal way (drivers in a box), have a good look around and follow your heart and not what the media and magazines tell you. Its a fun journey with many roads that can lead to Rome (audio nirvana).
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    You have done very good for your first purchase. Marantz makes very good equipment and the 17 series is one of their best. Definetly a notch above Rotel, NAD and Cambridge in the same price area. Your weak link will now be the cables and B&W's. I would recommend going out to listen to some others speakers, keep your mind open for these Technologys

Planar Magnetic
    Ribbon speakers
    Electrostatic Speakers
    Horn speakers
    Single driver speakers

A speaker doesnt not have to follow the normal way (drivers in a box), have a good look around and follow your heart and not what the media and magazines tell you. Its a fun journey with many roads that can lead to Rome (audio nirvana).
    Hello Florian

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated. I'm currently looking at Vienna Acoustics' Mozart Grand. I'm going to audition it next week. I really hope my amp is able to run this speaker (4 Ohms, 90db). Furthermore, do you know if there's a Marantz discussion board/community somewhere on the Internet?

Also are there any PM 17 owners (or previous owners), on the board? I got some questions about the temp. gauge.

Cheers.

Thread Information