White noise, why?

Printable View

• 10-21-2007, 10:36 PM
    Tetsuro
    White noise, why?
    Mine amplifier has a pronounced white noise on the headphone out at low volume level and very high volume level (at medium level it's ok).

Is that normal?

Thanks.
  • 10-22-2007, 03:11 AM
    noddin0ff
    no. (depending on the amp...)
  • 10-22-2007, 05:19 AM
    Tetsuro
    Quote:

Originally Posted by noddin0ff
    no. (depending on the amp...)

So do you think mine amp is damaged or just bad quality?

It is this: http://www.magicsound.it/shop/produc...oducts_id=3656
  • 10-22-2007, 06:31 AM
    noddin0ff
    Well, it could be your source as well. Or the design of the amp. I'm not an amp expert and can't read italian. Sorry. I have a headphone amp/dac. If it's not receiving a signal, it makes no noise regardless of volume. But if the signal source had some white noise, like my old cassette tape deck did, it would amplify that. I also suspect that an analog amp might make noise where a digital one might not. But, I'll defer to the amp experts here.
  • 10-22-2007, 06:45 AM
    Tetsuro
    Quote:

Originally Posted by noddin0ff
    Well, it could be your source as well. Or the design of the amp. I'm not an amp expert and can't read italian. Sorry. I have a headphone amp/dac. If it's not receiving a signal, it makes no noise regardless of volume. But if the signal source had some white noise, like my old cassette tape deck did, it would amplify that. I also suspect that an analog amp might make noise where a digital one might not. But, I'll defer to the amp experts here.

It does it even with no signal... could it be the headphone?
  • 10-22-2007, 07:29 AM
    noddin0ff
    plug in a different set of headphones and see...