Forum Regular

Which of these Pre-amplifiers should I get?

I'm currently considering the final item of my Stereo System, a pre-amplifier. My system is currently comprised by a pair of Dynaudio Audience 120, a Rotel RB-1070 Amplifier, a Rotel RCD-02 CD Player, and a JBL S120PII Subwoofer.

My possible choices of preamp are the McCormack TLC-1 and the Rotel RC-1070. While the Rotel maybe a better match for my system, the McCormack is an acclaimed preamp, and it would come faster and cheaper for me, as I'd have to import the Rotel (living in Brazil). So, should I go with the used McCormack, or get a Rotel from US?

Please post your thoughts on this,

thanks

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by jmabe
    I'm currently considering the final item of my Stereo System, a pre-amplifier. My system is currently comprised by a pair of Dynaudio Audience 120, a Rotel RB-1070 Amplifier, a Rotel RCD-02 CD Player, and a JBL S120PII Subwoofer.

My possible choices of preamp are the McCormack TLC-1 and the Rotel RC-1070. While the Rotel maybe a better match for my system, the McCormack is an acclaimed preamp, and it would come faster and cheaper for me, as I'd have to import the Rotel (living in Brazil). So, should I go with the used McCormack, or get a Rotel from US?

Please post your thoughts on this,

thanks
    I'm not a fan of Rotel preamps which is why I don't much care for their integrateds. Their power amps however are one of the best bang for buck products available.

No one sells McCormack here so can't help you.

I don't know the price range you're in. But one preamp I have often considered is the Sugden Bijou HeadMaster Headphone Preamplifier/Amplifier. It goes for 1kUS. which might be steep for you I don't know.

It was originally going to be a niche product as a high end headphone amp. Which is was. But it was so good that they converted to also serve as a great little headphone amp. It has gotten raves by pretty much everyone and is built like a tank. Comes with a remote.

Check it out. http://www.onhifi.com/product/sugden_bijou.htm

Forum Regular

take the used McCormack

If you buy it right, try it out and don't like it, you should be able to resell it and get your money back. What's wrong with that? I don't know about Rotel preamps but they don't seem to be so highly acclaimed that I would ship one in from out of country to see if I like it, especially new, you'll take a beating in the resale if you don't like it.
    Bill

Suspended

Take the McCormack

My local Rotel dealer has admitted that Rotel's preamps are not their strong point. McCormack is a step up from Rotel anything in my opinion.

Thread Information