AR Newbie Registered Member

What's it called?

I am looking for what I would describe as a "mixer".

I use a Bose Wave Radio as my audio for a small studio apt in NYC. It's adequate to my needs. It has an auxiliary 1/8" input. I am currently using an old NAD "mixer" as the source for the Bose radio. The NAD mixer has inputs for CD, Video, Phono, and Tuner. The only problem I have is that it doesn't have IR remote, so I can't control it with my Logitech Harmony remote.

I would like to replace the NAD with a similar unit that has IR remote. I haven't been able to come up with a name for what I'm looking for so that I can conduct a search. What is it that I'm looking for? It's not an amplifier or tuner, and "mixer" (which is what it actually is) turns up nothing but recording and DJ stuff. So what do I call it? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bill

I think the term you're searching for is a "preamp"

although, for cost reasons, you might be bettter served by purchasing a stereo receiver with a remote control which would replace both the Bose system and your current "mixer". They can be had for as little as $100 or less.

Oh, you'll need speakers too, but they don't have to cost a fortune.

AR Newbie Registered Member

That's what I'm trying to avoid...

My place is tiny and every inch of space is precious. Besides, the sound from the Bose radio is more than adequate for my needs and provides me with a tuner and alarm clock as well. Everything has to do double duty.

I will search for a preamp, but I haven't had much luck so far. Can you make any suggestions for a preamp/mixer?

Bill

Well, here's another thought.

Wal-Mart sells. in their "audio" department, simple switch boxes for +/- $20 that switch up to four audio/video inputs and send them to one output, which you can feed to your Bose.

I picked one up made by Philips a few months ago for that aforementioned $20 plus the governer's .cut

It doesn't have a phono preamp, which your NAD most likely has, but that's a totally different issue. For that you're talking additional $$.

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

I was just...

...about to say that but markw beat me to it...there are also devices mostly designed for multi-room distribution that can switch sources via current sensing...but a remote for the switch itself???...But I do have a question or three...

What does your remote currently control?

What is your tuner? The Bose wave radio has one built-in no? And a remote?

This NAD "mixer" (BTW do you have a model#) has a footprint, a stereo receiver is probably similar in dimensions...

You could make do with a source switcher but as mark pointed out you will need an outboard phono preamp to apply the required boost (to raise it to line level) and correct playback EQ (so it doesn't sound like cr@p)...of course if you are looking for volume and tone controls a passive switch isn't the way to go...

jimHJJ(...try to be a bit more specific re: your intent and the gear you wish to interconnect...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Thread Information