Thread: What preamp?

Forum Regular

Question What preamp?

I just began to build a new audio systme recently and so far, I have the speakers ( KEF 104/2) and the power amp ( two Rotel BX-970 BX ).... As I like warm sound (english style) I am looking for a Preamp to drive the two amps.

What could you recommand for about 600 USD second hand?
    I'am mainly listening to jazz, Trip Hop and soul!

Thanks to help and if you know any shop on the net for good deals on cables ( I need them delivered in Denmark) let me know.

Good listening!

Calimucho2007
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What preamp?-rotel.jpg   What preamp?-kef-1042.jpg  

How about this??

Quote Originally Posted by calimucho2007
    I just began to build a new audio systme recently and so far, I have the speakers ( KEF 104/2) and the power amp ( two Rotel BX-970 BX ).... As I like warm sound (english style) I am looking for a Preamp to drive the two amps.

What could you recommand for about 600 USD second hand?
    I'am mainly listening to jazz, Trip Hop and soul!

Thanks to help and if you know any shop on the net for good deals on cables ( I need them delivered in Denmark) let me know.

Good listening!

Calimucho2007

This Rega Cursa 2000 might a good match for your Rotels; check it out ...If you're located in Denmark you will have to negociate with the seller about delivery. Some A'gon seller who say "US only" will change their mind if you make it clear that you will pay duties, taxes, and related costs.

(The seller has not affiliation to me, nor is this an endorsement of the specifc unit.)

Suspended
    From what you say, I'd recommend putting a tube preamp on your system. Shop carefully your preamp is an important link in your system. I browsed www.audiogon.com under tube preamps and saw some good deals on preamps in your price. I saw an Audio Research SP-9 & 12. The SP-9 seems to be a popular older piece. I saw a couple of Conrad Johnson's which I'd highly recommend. CJ is very musical and in my experience perform beyond what they are priced. I also saw a Cary slp-50 but I'm not familiar with that model. Any of these are high end preamps that would be great for your system and much better than going with a mid-fi pre from Rotel, NAD, Adcom etc. The draw back is some of them may not have remote ability. You may have to wwww.google.com search the model to check for reviews and features.

The Siltech cables made there in Denmark are some of the best I've used so far. You can buy cables on Audiogon as well. I have no experience with this site but check out www.usedcables.com. For warm sound try Audio Quest, Audio Note and certain Cardas. From what I understand Cardas makes series from warm to neutral. I use the Siltech on my tube gear and Transparent on solid state. If I didn't already have Transparent I might even have all Siltech. One thing to be aware of is Siltech has a warning on their website of fake cables being sold on the net with their name on them, so be very careful buying used. I'd also recommend staying with their MXT series. Some of their older series I didn't like much. I believe they were "ST" models. They lacked bass and he overall presentation was too light.

Tube gears are not for everyone, but just get it anyways. Just make sure to get one with tubes that are widely available.

jra

Forum Regular

Thanks for your informations§

Well, I feel like the quest of a preamp is a complicated one! Now, I have to make a choice between tube or transistor.... Not so easy! I'll give update as soon as I find some matching my needs;

Thanks again;

Calimucho2007

Suspended
    With Conrad Johnson you are pretty much guaranteed to have access to replacement tubes from them. I suggested tubes based on your original post. I think you will like what you hear.

Thread Information