• 10-21-2006, 07:49 PM
    Morpheus77
    What kind of Amp do I need? Pre or Reg?
    I'm looking at getting an amp pretty soon, and was wondering what kind yall would recommend. I'm looking for something to drive some CV 10's that handle 150 watts. The 10's are 6 Ohms.However, I have some CV 15's (8 Ohms) that I would also like to use this amp on in the near future when I get out of this apartment. I don't really know the difference in pre-amps, and regular amps, so what do yall recommend?? My budget for now is probably around $400.00. I know that's not a lot of money, but I would like to get an amp thats bridgeable, and maybe in the future by another amp just like it, and have an amp to each 15. Is this doable? Thanks

Tommy
  • 10-21-2006, 11:40 PM
    canuckle
    You can't have an amp without a pre-amp. One processes the sound and the other cranks up the power. ;)
  • 10-22-2006, 01:12 AM
    Morpheus77
    Ok, now I'm really lost!!! Are you saying I need both? I just need the simpliest way to go. If I can do without one of the other, then that's the route I want to go. But please fill me in, and explain to me the benefits of having both, and the negatives of having both or one. Thanks.

Tommy
  • 10-22-2006, 04:43 AM
    SAEA501
    I gather from your post you are talking about adding a separate power amplifier to the outputs of you current receiver. Getting into a separate processor and power amp for $400 would be near impossible, even in the used market.You mention bridgeable power amps, there are many on the market, however your speakers are far from requiring that kind of power. I think your priorities are a little off at this point. You are looking for far more electronic performance than your speakers are capable of taking advantage of. Please don't misunderstand, I am certainly not saying your speakers are inferior. Speakers are very subjective, you buy and listen to what you like.

The benefit of moving into separates is more overall performance. Greater dynamics, attack, detail. The only real disadvantage would be the cost. A receiver, on the other hand, is a good, simple, less expensive start to building your system.

If you want move into separates I would suggest looking at a nice used power amp with the plan of buying a good processor in the future and then build from there.
  • 10-22-2006, 09:16 AM
    audio_dude
    ok, what YOU need is an integrated amp, maybe look on the second hand market for a rotel or something of that irk. and just becase your speakers can handle 150w, doesn't mean the need that, at that power they'd probably make you deaf...

ya, spend your budget on a nice integrated, you won't really get any sound improvement on using two separate amps... i'm thinking you were thinking that too, a regular amp has no buttons, dials, or anything, just a box, a make-it-louder box... the preamp has all the controls and inputs..
  • 10-22-2006, 11:31 AM
    Morpheus77
    Take a look at this website, this is kinda what I was looking for. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-iNmEKtN...0450&I=580M282 Just something basic. What do you think? Thanks

Tommy
  • 10-22-2006, 12:33 PM
    Dusty Chalk
    That's a little too basic -- you still need a volume control.

Take audio_dude's advice and look for "integrated" amps. It's basically a preamp and a power amp built into one chassis. And yes, if you go the preamp/power amp route, you will need both. So if you want simple, get an integrated. They can be very good.

EDIT: FYI, "pre-" means "before" -- a preamp is not an amp, it's the thing that goes before the amp.
  • 10-22-2006, 04:51 PM
    Morpheus77
    Ok, thanks for the advice. If I had to, I could spend more money, I just have to let the ole lady know before hand. I can usually get away with spending 3 or $400.00 with no repercussions, but anything after that, I get held accountable really quick if I spend without her knowing about it. Anyway, what kind of amps do you recommend in terms of name brand, and power outage? Remember my ultimate goal is to drive my 15's in the near future. Anyway websites yall recommend? Thanks

Tommy
  • 10-22-2006, 08:35 PM
    paul_pci
    If you're looking for a 2-channel amp to add to your receiver, then I think that Rotel's cheapest amp is about $400 and also Adcom is supposed to offer good budget amps, you could look into that.
  • 10-23-2006, 01:36 PM
    SAEA501
    Adcom does make a decent lower priced power amp. Built offshore but designed in the US. Rotel is very popular with a lot of people. I have always preferred the sonics of American designed and built amplifiers though. The power supplies are more robust and, depending on the design, they sound much stronger than their rated power.

Buying an integrated amplifier will accomplish nothing. You already own an integrated amp that just happens to have a tuner in it.......a receiver.