Forum Regular

Question What does it sound like when an amplifier is wearing out?

The reason I ask:

I just bought a Regina Belle CD. She sings soul with a sort of a disco accompaniment. On my main system, this disc - only this disc, not others - makes distorted noises. Sort of a crackling and spitting. The distortion is fairly mild, but enough to ruin my enjoyment.

But when I play it through my headphones or my computer speakers, it sounds clean. So the problem is in my hardware. I'm surprised, because this doesn't seem like very demanding material.

My best guess so far is that that the power supply in my receiver is worn. This happened to my old integrated amp years ago. So long ago, that the symptoms aren't fresh in my mind.

Does anybody have any thoughts? Why just this one disc? Could the problem be in my speakers?

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoho
    The reason I ask:

I just bought a Regina Belle CD. She sings soul with a sort of a disco accompaniment. On my main system, this disc - only this disc, not others - makes distorted noises. Sort of a crackling and spitting. The distortion is fairly mild, but enough to ruin my enjoyment.

But when I play it through my headphones or my computer speakers, it sounds clean. So the problem is in my hardware. I'm surprised, because this doesn't seem like very demanding material.

My best guess so far is that that the power supply in my receiver is worn. This happened to my old integrated amp years ago. So long ago, that the symptoms aren't fresh in my mind.

Does anybody have any thoughts? Why just this one disc? Could the problem be in my speakers?
    To me it sounds like more of a problem with this particular CD playing in your CD player than your amp, or speakers. If it doesn't happen on any of your other CD's I woudn't worry.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Forum Regular

Lightbulb Same experience on New Amp !

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    To me it sounds like more of a problem with this particular CD playing in your CD player than your amp, or speakers. If it doesn't happen on any of your other CD's I woudn't worry.
    Actually, I agree with Geoffcin. This is most likely to be a problem with the CD player or the CD itself. Unlikely that the amp is at fault. I have the same problem with just 1 CD - and thats the TATU album -'200km/h in the wrong lane'. A popular rock sort of thing - but it just screws the happiness out of my speakers at a volume level that would be reffered to as 'average' when much heavier rock and trance at really high volumes doesnt affect the sound quality in that way - thats making the LF drivers flutter in a useless manner.

I vote for the CD / CD player incompatibility to some minor extents!
    Wonder where you fall when you "Fall From Grace"

Thread Information