Forum Regular

What does channel separation and output devices per channel mean?

I am looking for an integrated amp. I read their specifications and don't understand the readings:

channel separation in db

output devices per channel

do these things have an effect on audio sound.

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andy13
    I am looking for an integrated amp. I read their specifications and don't understand the readings:

channel separation in db

output devices per channel

do these things have an effect on audio sound.
    Channel separation refers to the ratio of the difference of the sound information between the channels. This ratio is usually expressed in decibels. A higher decibel figure usually means greater difference (and more spacious and holographic sound if you will). A lower decibel figure results in the opposite (going in the direction of monaural sound). Most modern components have very good specs for channel separation so that is not a real concern. Output devices per channel refers to the number of transistors used by the amplifier manufacturer in the output stage of each channel. In theory, by using a great number of output devices, there is less stress on each one, which decreases the likelihood of failure. This is especially the case with amplifiers rated to deliver high current into low-impedance speaker loads. What is important is that you get an amp that will adequately drive the speakers you presently have, to levels at which you normally listen. An amp rated to drive at least 4 ohm loads on a continuous basis is good place to start.
    Last edited by Glen B; 01-20-2005 at 08:19 PM.

Thread Information