Suspended

Anyone hear Blue Circle amps

Adding the Audio Note 1.1x DAC to my system has got me re-thinking the type of sound I want to listen to. I have found tube gear that would be strong enough to drive my Dynaudio speakers carry a big price tag. I also have HT tied into my system which adds new problems. So I was kicking around either going with a tube preamp and SS power or a hybrid of some type which led me to the Blue Circle FtTH integrated. The FtTH is not cheap either but it would provide a SS power section and a processor bypass.

So any opinions on Blue Circle? Or any suggestion on other equipment to look at?

Some one also told me that mixing Audio Note with other gear could have mixed results depending on the gear. Any thoughts? Because I was thinking about getting an AN preamp and maybe using a SS power amp.

I personally found the 1.1x on the front end of my Krell to sound good but maybe I got lucky. I also listened, very briefly, to the 1.1x going into my Musical Fidelity X-Can and HD-600's. My first impression with this set up was not so favorable. The sound seemed a little dead and lack the depth I usually heard. I need to go back and run some more CD's through and let the X-Can warm some more. This did get me wondering about if I'd be better off just staying with what I have.

I like the AN DAC sound with my Krell but I was wondering if tubes would bring the sound stage more presence. And maybe the lack of presence is something inherent to AN.

Getting tubitis?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    So any opinions on Blue Circle? Or any suggestion on other equipment to look at?

Some one also told me that mixing Audio Note with other gear could have mixed results depending on the gear. Any thoughts? Because I was thinking about getting an AN preamp and maybe using a SS power amp.
    Those minimalist Blue Circle amps have never appealed to me -- haven't heard them, I'll admit.

In terms of "solution" I'm looking for better recordings, not better equipment and certainly not tubes. IMO, with tubes you "see the world though rose-colored glasses", i.e. pretty but not real.

However if I ever did get the an irresistable urge to experiment with tubes, this hybrid combo would be intriguing:
    Val Alstine Transendence Seven ECR tube/FET preamp
    http://www.avahifi.com/root/equipmen...e_seven_ec.htm

PS Audio GCA-100 digital power amp.
    http://www.psaudio.com/products/gca_...s_overview.asp
    The combo would be cheaper and more flexible than the Blue Circle; my gut feel is it would sound better too.

You present system sound very nice indeed. So I wonder what qualities are missing for you? Surely you're not just looking for a change?
    Last edited by Geoffcin; 10-16-2005 at 02:59 PM. Reason: fixed the quote code

Suspended
    Well, nothing is missing really. I wanted to experiment with tubes so I bought the 1.1x tube DAC. In comparison it made my Krell sound like it glares. This wasn't noticeable before when listening but when you compare the Audio Note is more natural sounding. Once I heard this difference it got me wanting to pursue that direction a little further to see if I could keep the integrity of the 1.1x sound but add some presence. An amazing thing about the AN is that it is not "rosie" at all, it just has a nice organic sound.

Thread Information