Thread: Blow Fuse

Forum Regular

Blown Fuse

I blew a fuse last weekend in my Rotel Amp. I opened it up and found the blown fuse, now I am going to change it but I want to make sure I buy the right replacement. The fuse says "T4L 250V" on it. I'm assuming this means I need a 4.0 amp, 250 Volt fuse? I'm also assuming this is likely a fast-acting fuse? Thanks in advance!

Ryan Woods
    Last edited by ryewoods; 07-18-2004 at 08:16 AM.

Forum Regular
    I checked the websites of two fuse manufacturers Bussman and Littlefuse and couldn't find a cross reference to T4L series. I have no idea if it is fast blow or slow blow. Assuming that this is a glass fuse like an AGC-3, slow blow fuses usually have a small coil of wire while the fast blow fuses are often a much thiner wire with a slight twist to them. Rather than try to remember, I'd contact Rotel's service department for a cross reference to a generic type or a model number for a large manufacturer.

Of much more concern than replacing the fuse is finding out WHY it blew in the first place. If you already know, then that's ok assuming you have fixed the problem. If you don't know, there is every likelihood that it will blow again or that the problem causing the blown fuse will wind up causing other damage not protected by the fuse.

Good Luck

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the reply. I actually talked to someone at the Rotel forum and found out that it's a 4 amp, slow blow fuse (the T stands for timed release or something along those lines). I'm pretty sure I know how it blew. I'm completing a pair of speakers and had one hooked up to the right A terminal, and one hooked up the right B terminal. They have slightly different crossovers, so I was A/B'ing them to see which I preferred. It blew during that experiement...I won't be doing that again.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by ryewoods
    Thanks for the reply. I actually talked to someone at the Rotel forum and found out that it's a 4 amp, slow blow fuse (the T stands for timed release or something along those lines). I'm pretty sure I know how it blew. I'm completing a pair of speakers and had one hooked up to the right A terminal, and one hooked up the right B terminal. They have slightly different crossovers, so I was A/B'ing them to see which I preferred. It blew during that experiement...I won't be doing that again.
    LOL...I smoked an old H/K integrated during some A/B tests with 6 ohm and 4 ohm speakers once when I was in high school...you should start a thread re: abuse stories.

Thread Information