Forum Regular

What Do People Think Of Musical Fidelity Amps?

Hi all Music Lovers and Hifi enthusiasts,

What do you think of the sound quality of MF amplifiers ?
    Have you demoed one, owned one in the past, or have just bought one recently?
    Are they capable of playing more upbeat music eg Hip Hop, R'n'B and Dance?

Let me know your own opinions.

Yas

Being able to play or sound better on a particular type or kind of music is usually speaker related and not amplifier related. For example Maggys (Magneplanars) are not usually considered suitable for head banging music or very loud RnR. I don't necessarily agree with this but lots of people feel this way.
    If a given amp was better on one type of music I would be inclined to think it was defective.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Forum Regular
    Hi Joe,

The reason I am asking this question is, that I have a Arcam CD72 CDP, MF A5cr Pre & Pwr amplifiers and Kef Ref 1:2 Floorstanding spks. Problem is with this particular kind of music it just sound too damn smooth and boomy. Is the fault my speakers or my source?
    Almost forgot cables are Nordost Red Dawn interconnects and VDH Cleartrack Biamped.

Cheers
    Yas

I'll second Joe's comment....

I've found that speakers tend to make the greatest difference in reagrds to which types of music sound good....

However, I will also say that the best setup I've heard so far for more modern musical tastes, such as what you listen to: was a Musical Fidelity XT100 Integratred amp and X-RAY V8 CD Player with a pair of Monitor Audio Gold GS20 Loudspeakers....

Try some different speakers. I have no recommendations as I use ESL's. I'm sure there are others who could recommend some.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Thread Information