Class D Audio power supply upgrade

For the heck of it I decided to try an upgrade on my Class D Audio SDS-258 amp. I'm replacing the standard, Class D Audio "Heavy Duty" linear supply, HERE, with Connexelectronic's linear supply, HERE.

Here's the "before" picture with the CDA power supply ...

And here's the two power supplies side by side ...

The CDA has 6x 4,700 uF capcitors, the Connexelectronic has 6x 10,000 which more than doubles the capacitance.

I don't have an "after" picture yet. The new PS is working fine, though I haven't decided yet whether it has made very much difference.
    Last edited by Feanor; 10-18-2012 at 09:12 AM.

Which power transformer do you have? I hear the larger ones offered by Class D Audio improve dynamics and bass.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    Which power transformer do you have? I hear the larger ones offered by Class D Audio improve dynamics and bass.
    I have the standard transformer for the SDS-258 kit. I'm not sure of the the power capacity, maybe 400VA. The VAC output is +/- 47 volts. Of course, the new power supply puts out the same rail voltages as the old, about +/- 64 VDC according to my mulitmeter.

The supposed advantage of higher capacitance is greater instantaneous power and dynamics, not higher sustained power which depends on the rail voltages. So far I'm not convinced that I'm hearing this, but then again I rarely listen a very high volumes where it would presumably make the most difference.

Transformers are pretty expensive to buy -- and expensive to ship on account of the weight, so I wasn't thinking of replacing the current one at this time.

RFI/EMI filter

At the same time I ordered the power supply from Connexelectonic, I also ordered an IEC power connector with integrated RFI/EMI filter, fuse holder, and on/off switch. See HERE.

I haven't installed this yet because it will be a fussier operation, requiring me to cut the metal back panel to size.

Class D amps, by many reports, are more susceptible than most to degradation due to RFI/EMI, so this filter might help. On the other hand my power Belkin power filter already has isolated outlets with RFI/EMI filters, and I use a shielded power cord to the amp, so the new connector might make no difference. Once installed, though, it will make for a tidier interior for the amp

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    For the heck of it I decided to try an upgrade on my Class D Audio SDS-258 amp. I'm replacing the standard, Class D Audio "Heavy Duty" linear supply...
    It's a shame you didn't have the room to add the new one and parallel them together.

When I replaced the Mallory electrolytics in the Threshold a couple of years ago, I had a bit of a height clearance issue with the new higher value caps. Just to be sure, I added some teflon washers between the chassis and top plate.

I have been loving my amp and really haven't thought of any upgrades to it but it does look like it could help adding capacitance for dynamics but like you said you don't listen very loud so you might never notice the difference unless you run into a song or a part of a song that is very dynamic and really push your speakers.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Quote Originally Posted by harley .guy07 View Post
    I have been loving my amp and really haven't thought of any upgrades to it but it does look like it could help adding capacitance for dynamics but like you said you don't listen very loud so you might never notice the difference unless you run into a song or a part of a song that is very dynamic and really push your speakers.
    True, I still don't think I'm hearing any real difference.

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat View Post
    It's a shame you didn't have the room to add the new one and parallel them together.

When I replaced the Mallory electrolytics in the Threshold a couple of years ago, I had a bit of a height clearance issue with the new higher value caps. Just to be sure, I added some teflon washers between the chassis and top plate.
    Interestingly I once asked Tom at Class D Audio whether he though two of their "Heavy Duty" power supplies, paralleled, would be any improvement; he said No.

The upgrade for the larger power transformer is about $75 according to Tom.

I am still thinking about buying one of the 600 wpc Class D audio amps to replace my Parasound A21. It's too bad they don't have a 30 day return policy.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    The upgrade for the larger power transformer is about $75 according to Tom.

I am still thinking about buying one of the 600 wpc Class D audio amps to replace my Parasound A21. It's too bad they don't have a 30 day return policy.
    The A21 is a pretty nice amp but then the SDS amps are pretty nice too.

I think you have a CDA amp, how does it compare with the A21? If my recollection is right, you said you preferred the A21 for tonal balance, but that the CDA had less grain. It seems likely that the SDS will be tonally more like the CDA but a bit more refined. Does Tom have any opinion on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    Interestingly I once asked Tom at Class D Audio whether he though two of their "Heavy Duty" power supplies, paralleled, would be any improvement; he said No.
    Now you can call him back and tell him he's right!

Perhaps now you can go in the other direction with the old one. Remove a bank of caps at a time until you hear a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat View Post
    Now you can call him back and tell him he's right!

Perhaps now you can go in the other direction with the old one. Remove a bank of caps at a time until you hear a difference.

In fact CDA recommends a single "Heavy Duty" to run multiple amp modules.

Thread Information