Forum Regular

Should I get a Musical fidelity A3.2cr?

I found a really great deal on the A3.2cr amp/preamp pair and I have heard the pair before and loved them. My question is more would my current set up do justice to them? I have monitor audio silver 4i's which I have heard match very well with the MF's, but I would not have enough money to upgrade my cd player ( Cambridge audio D300se) or turntable (Music hall mmf 2.1) I really want the MF's but would hate to listen to them every day knowing that they will only be slightly better than what I have now until I upgrade my source components. ANY ADVICE PLEASE!!!!!!

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by sksfreund
    I found a really great deal on the A3.2cr amp/preamp pair and I have heard the pair before and loved them. My question is more would my current set up do justice to them? I have monitor audio silver 4i's which I have heard match very well with the MF's, but I would not have enough money to upgrade my cd player ( Cambridge audio D300se) or turntable (Music hall mmf 2.1) I really want the MF's but would hate to listen to them every day knowing that they will only be slightly better than what I have now until I upgrade my source components. ANY ADVICE PLEASE!!!!!!
    If you've heard them and you like them and you're getting a good deal, buy them. You can always upgrade your front ends later if you feel you need to.

Get them: you needn't rush to upgrade other stuff

If it's a great deal, go for it. You will enjoy the improvement they make used with your current equipment. I have always found that improvement in any component makes a difference. Or to put it another way, decent but relatively less expensive system components typically don't "mask" the improvement a better component makes.

Forum Regular
    I didn't get to hear them with my speakers, they were with a pair of dynaudio bookshelf speakers (very nice) so I hope what I was hearing wasnt the speakers, although I know some of it was. Everyone says that the CA d300se is a great player. I just hope I'm not dissapointed when I plug the MF's in, I hope there is a fairly noticable difference from my Cambridge Audio A300 integrated. Thats all.

My bet is ...

I just hope I'm not dissapointed when I plug the MF's in, I hope there is a fairly noticable difference from my Cambridge Audio A300 integrated. Thats all.
    You will hear a substantial improvement.

Let us know how it goes!

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

I also have a Musical Fidelity amp

They are great amps, worth every penny. Mine is hooked up to a set of Gallo Reference 3 speakers, but I've had it hooked up to maggies, and even my Cambridge Soundworks T500 with great results. I think you'll like what you hear.

AR Regular

Well, I bought just the MF amp in Nov

and B&W 703s, both at a huge discount. However, I kept my Rotel pre-amp and other equipment. The more I listen to my setup, the more I like it. Word of caution - for the first couple of weeks, I thought I had made a huge mistake because things sounded so hard and harsh. After that, they settled down and are now great. Listen to those who advocate allowing new equipment to burn in.

In the past, I always upgraded only one or two components at a time. Gives you plenty of time to get used to the new components - if you upgrade everything at once, you don't know which compenent (s) is/are making the bigest difference.

Also, bear in mind that just because something sounds different, it may not be an improvement.

Enjoy.

Thread Information