Forum Regular

What is the best pre-amplifier among these...

I'm currently shopping for a pre-amplifier to pair with my Mccormack DNA 0.5 with Dynaudios 120. I stumbled upon a few options, with these prices in Brazil...

Quad 99 - $800
    Mccormack TLC-1 - $500
    Adcom GFP-750 - $1000
    Jeff Rowland Consonance - $1500
    Rotel RC-1090 - $1400

Which of these do you think I would be better with?

Forum Regular

McCormack looks like the deal

I have not owned any of these but I'd put Rotel and Adcom below the others on the list. At least I've heard Rotels and Adcoms. Not that they are bad but the others have higher reputations. Check the specs and compare them this way if you can. Specs won't tell you everything but they shouldn't lie either. I like the idea of matching name to name in amp and preamp combos when possible. They were made to be together and are most likely to be compatible. Just my 2c.
    Bill

Forum Regular Mwalsdor_cscc_edu's Avatar

Question

Is a tube pre-amp an option? McCormick+DynaAudio combo is pretty revealing stuff. Do you find your system fatiguing at all? What exactly are you looking to accomplish with the pre-amp?

MikE

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by jmabe
    I'm currently shopping for a pre-amplifier to pair with my Mccormack DNA 0.5 with Dynaudios 120. I stumbled upon a few options, with these prices in Brazil...

Quad 99 - $800
    Mccormack TLC-1 - $500
    Adcom GFP-750 - $1000
    Rotel RC-1090 - $1400

I own the McCormack DNA 0.5 Deluxe Edition amp paired with the McCormack Micro Line Drive, which I use passively. For the money I'd say the McCormack TLC-1. I not sold on the build quality of the Adcom. For over all performance I'd have to say the Rowland. Really though, the best way to find out is to some how demo each of the units within your system. That is the best way, but propably the hardest. Good luck!

Forum Regular

Quad 99 - $800
    Mccormack TLC-1 - $500
    Adcom GFP-750 - $1000
    Rotel RC-1090 - $1400

You would be best off with the Mccormack TLC-1

Forum Regular

Mccormack TLC-1

It's gone, I lost my chance to buy it for $500, now only for $700.

Anyway, my other choices are:

Audio Research LS3
    Sunfire Symphonic Reference (would have to import)
    Quad 99 - $800
    Adcom GFP-750 - $1000
    Rotel RC-1090 - $1400

AR Newbie Registered Member

Best Pre-amp...

Have you considered the McCormack RLD-1? I like its sound quite abit in my system.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Your in luck, My friend is selling his immaculate Classe` DR-5 preamp.
    This unit was $1995 new, and sounds as good as the day it was sold. Looks that was too. The only reason he's selling is because he's just got an Audio Research LS-25. Let me know if your interested.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Forum Regular

Not so lucky...

I live in Brazil, I'd easily buy your friends amp, if just I had the means for it. I'm working only over options available locally, at the moment.

Forum Regular

$700 McCormack

What's wrong with that? I wouldn't pay $1000 for an Adcom and certainly not $1400 for a Rotel. I paid $375 for a used Parasound PLD2000 (near 2k new) and I'd guess that it's as good or better than Adcom or Rotel but somewhere in their league. The Rowland is probably the best but should be at $1500. I still like the idea of the matching McCormack.
    Bill

AR Newbie Registered Member

Quad 99 - $800
    Mccormack TLC-1 - $500
    Adcom GFP-750 - $1000
    Rotel RC-1090 - $1400

In my humble opinion, if you dont mind doing a little soldering work your self, you shold try the preamplifier and RIAA-stage of Niels Larsen. The preamplifier with attenuator (NLE 19 and NLE 11) will cost you dkr. 3000 (app. 400$) and the RIAA dkr. 4000 (app. 500$). I use it myself, and I guess its worth the double in value - the danish reviews are very, very positive). Try www.audio-link.dk/NLE.htm. Its in danish, but you might be able to understand the most important information Otherwise, contact me (jens.mortensen@kabelnettet.dk).

Best regards
    Jens

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Well for what it's worth the Adcom received a class A rating from Stereophile and is supposedly a world class preamp. But then I've read from many that it didn't deserve that rating. Stil I would consider it.

I have never been fond of of Rotels preamps, love their bang for buck power amps.

Sugden and Audio Note make some top class preamps as well and both fit around this budget

www.hifi.com.sg/products/preamp/audionote/m1.htm
    http://www.jesugden.co.uk/

Also

The M2(the higher end model) without a phono stage is under 1kGBP. Recommended by the blind listening panel at Hi-Fi Choice...Good luck http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_read.asp?ID=1380

Stereophile/Listener review (Art Dudley reviewed(s) fr both mags: http://audiophile.hypermart.net/art.htm#m2

DMK
    Forum Regular

My friend...

Quote Originally Posted by jbangelfish
    What's wrong with that? I wouldn't pay $1000 for an Adcom and certainly not $1400 for a Rotel. I paid $375 for a used Parasound PLD2000 (near 2k new) and I'd guess that it's as good or better than Adcom or Rotel but somewhere in their league. The Rowland is probably the best but should be at $1500. I still like the idea of the matching McCormack.
    Bill
    Your PLD2000 at $375 is the deal of the century. It's a GREAT preamp and I'd take it over the either the Rotel or the Adcom and although the stakes are a little higher with the Audio Research preamp mentioned, I'd still take the P'sound at that price first!

Sheesh! How come I never find deals like that... grumble, grumble, *****, moan...

Forum Regular

Well, I'm glad someone thinks so

I'm very happy with it, it's very quiet, you don't kow it's there and that's the way it should be. Lack of a phono stage made me buy a separate but that worked out well with the Cary. I have no idea why it went so cheap but I watched ebay for awhile until I found it. You don't see many of them and I'm not sure why. I'd pick it over Adcom or Rotel also as their preamp reviews are spotty. Deal of the century? Man, I'm gettin that warm and fuzzy feeling. Love that used stuff.
    Bill

DMK
    Forum Regular

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by jbangelfish
    I'm very happy with it, it's very quiet, you don't kow it's there and that's the way it should be.
    It certainly seemed to impose no sonic signature when I heard it. It's the second finest solid state pre I've ever heard after the Klyne model (forget which one) but OTOH, I don't have a whole lot of experience with SS preamps at that level, being a tube guy. The lesser P'sounds weren't nearly as good but this one raised the bar rather high, IMHO. If I were a SS guy, I'd jump at the chance to own that pre, especially at the price you paid. Sadly, the secondary market is largely based on what's popular rather than what's good which is probably why you got it so cheap. That unit went out of production a few years ago and has not been replaced to my knowledge.

300A

Might consider..

When I listened to the SAS Audio Labs 25 watter amp, it was matched with their 10A line preamp. It was simply amazing sound, and they seem to be blowing away the competition, from what their website reviews say. They don't have dealers though, so you would have to order direct from them.

Thread Information