Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

What Best 4 ohm rated amp capable of 110 wpc Continuous Power for less then $1000.00?

What's the best 4 ohm rated amp capable of 110 wpc Continuous Power for less then $1000.00? I don't believe I come across one yet. Anyone has any suggestion? I want one that is specifically rate to drive 4 ohm speaker not capable of, thanks.

Power amp or Integrated?

Quote Originally Posted by m500
    What's the best 4 ohm rated amp capable of 110 wpc Continuous Power for less then $1000.00? I don't believe I come across one yet. Anyone has any suggestion? I want one that is specifically rate to drive 4 ohm speaker not capable of, thanks.
    We'll need to know this to make recommendations. Presumably you mean solid state vs. tube?

Forum Regular
    Solid state. I don't think there is a tube that fit my budget and specs.

Pat
    Forum Regular
    The portal Panache is 100 watts and I've thought about it for myself. If you don't mind used check out www.audiogoncom they have many to look at and may give you some ideas.

Why would you specify exactly "110watts" and not 100 or 150?
    Have a good day.....Sez' Pat
    Denon 685 Receiver & 2900 Player, Sonographe 120 Amp, Klipsch RF7 Speakers, 2039+ svs Sub, 10gauge solid core copper cables

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat
    The portal Panache is 100 watts and I've thought about it for myself. If you don't mind used check out www.audiogoncom they have many to look at and may give you some ideas.

Why would you specify exactly "110watts" and not 100 or 150?

110 watts is just what my Speaker specifically need to drive it, anything over 110watts will do.

Pat
    Forum Regular
    ..........so what brand of speakers are they?

Over at AG there are a few new ones they sell too.....lot's of choices over there. I just find it odd that you think there is a minimum rating that would be required to drive a set of speakers. Now I can understand a person saying he wanted X amount of power just to have that on hand.

My RF-7's are rated for a lot more than the 120 watts I'm feeding them, I just can't get real, real loud without clipping and distortion setting in.
    Denon 685 Receiver & 2900 Player, Sonographe 120 Amp, Klipsch RF7 Speakers, 2039+ svs Sub, 10gauge solid core copper cables

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat
    ..........so what brand of speakers are they?

Over at AG there are a few new ones they sell too.....lot's of choices over there.

The speaker I have is the MB Quart QLS830. They are rated 4 ohm. The required power is minimum of 110w to drive it.

Pat
    Forum Regular
    sure...I've heard of that brand before. Let me know if you would like a Bluebook price on anything, I am a member over at AG and I can access prices.

For under a grand, Jolida and NAD come immediately to mind. Should be able to get these for around $600-800 new if you shop around, both put out well over 100wpc into 4ohm, can drive difficult speakers, and sound great...

Jolida JD 1501RC hybrid integrated (tube preamp, with 100wpc amp) $750 list
    http://www.jolida.com/catalogue/models/jd1501rc.shtml

NAD C372 150wpc (340wpc 4ohm dynamic power) $899 list
    http://www.nadelectronics.com/hifi_a...72_framset.htm
    Dynaudio Audience 60
    Audio Refinement Complete Integrated
    Sony DVP-NC685V CD/SACD/DVD
    Audioquest Viper Interconnect
    14AWG OFC Speaker cable

"hey dreaming it up accounts for half the fun - and time"

Forum Regular
    I use a Jolida 1501 RC to drive Magnaplane MMGs (4 ohms). This is an awesome combination with plenty of power. The Jolida 1501 is rated at 100w/ch into 8 ohms, 150w/ch into 4 ohms. It has a massive toroidal transformer with plenty of current to drive demanding speakers.. The unit weighs 33 lbs! The Jolida is a hybrid integrated amp with a tubed preamp and MOSFET amplifier section. The advantage is that you can roll tubes to experiment with the sound.

Recommended!

Pat
    Forum Regular
    www.audioadvisor.com They have a lot to choose from too. Check out the Parasound A-23...125 watts @ 8 ohms and 200 watts @ 4 ohms. Of course I would like to try tubes and anything like that might be fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Pat
    Forum Regular
    Wally has the previously mentioned Jolida #1501 on sale for $590.00 at www.underwoodhifi.com/specials.html

This is fun shopping around
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What Best 4 ohm rated amp capable of 110 wpc Continuous Power for less then 00.00?-underwoodhifi.gif  

Forum Regular
    psonic,
    Between the 2 brand which 1 has better reliability and sound quality? I had NAD but Jolida in Silver match well with all my other silver component.

Forum Regular
    ECMJazz,
    How do you like your Jolida 1501 RC?
    How long as it be in operation?
    Pros & Cons?

Forum Regular
    Pat,
    Parasound's spec is awesome but I'm trying to cut down the cost by just buying 1 integrated Amp instead of Pre-amp and an amp. But I'll keep my option open to see if there is a good pre-amp to work with parasound to be under $1000.

They are both powerful but with a slightly different presentation. The Jolida is more musical and liquid while the NAD is a little bit dry, but forceful and in your face, forward presentation that is great with rock or heavier music. Not that the Jolida cannot rock you with bass, it can and will; they just present music slightly different, probably due to the Tube preamp in it. I think the Jolida is the best high power integrated amp under $1000. You would have to be fine with no tone controls, the Jolida, like many HiFi amps, has none. Personally I'd would go with the Jolida as you can change tubes to get different sounds and it costs only $590. These sell used on Audiogon for 500+, so I dont see how you can go wrong. It's a wonderful amp, one of the best I've owned, as stated b4 its 32lbs and all metal, built more like a Musical Fidelity or Audio Refinement than NAD. It comes with an 18 month warranty also.

Here's the internal's, you can see how beefy everything is -
    http://miarroba.com/foros/ver.php?foroid=357538&temaid=2213209

a publication review:
    http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...26lr%3Dlang_en
    Dynaudio Audience 60
    Audio Refinement Complete Integrated
    Sony DVP-NC685V CD/SACD/DVD
    Audioquest Viper Interconnect
    14AWG OFC Speaker cable

"hey dreaming it up accounts for half the fun - and time"

Forum Regular
    psonic,
    I sort of like to be able to keep the bass and treble control but the fact it has Tube pre-amp really send my andrelin pumping. I always wanted to get a Tube component for that added warmth to the sound in vocal.

Since I'm going to try to route the speaker output into my Sub first and then to the speakers would I really need the bass control as I can tune the by pass and bass volume on my sub?

Also, I can't find any reference to Jolida amp regarding its power in 4 ohm rating. Its only reference the 8 ohm rating. How do you come up with 200w pwc in 4 ohm? Thanks.

Forum Regular
    ECMJazz,
    Pros & Cons?

I love the Jolida! One caveot is that you must replace the stock Chinese tubes with something better. I used Sovtek 12AX7LPS tubes. Some like EI tubes, some like the new GrooveTube. I was told by my dealer that the Jolida puts out 150 watts/ch into 4ohms but could find no reference other than that. You could call the Jolida factory and ask. I've only had my 1501RC for a week.

BTW: There are no tone or balance controls. I ordered my 1501RC with a preamp out, called a "Variable" out (for a subwoofer), and a "Fixed" out. I have no Tape1, Tape 2 loop (don't need). Therefore, I have only 4 "Source" buttons, Tuner, CD, Video, and Aux, one "Standby" button, and a Volume control. There's an on-off switch on the back of the unit.

One negative is that the plastic remote is cheesey, IMO.

Forum Regular
    ECMJazz,
    Pros & Cons?

I want to say one more thing about the configuration if you order. I find a preamp-out to be more usefull than 2 Tape loops, YMMV. If you need a bigger amp in the future, you could always use the Jolida as just a preamp. If you like the tube sound, a tube preamp never goes obsolete, something to think about.

The presentation is really quite good. Soundstage and imaging is excellent. With the Sovtek 12AX7LPS tubes, the highs are a little brighter and more forward than the stock Chinese tubes. I like that! The mid seems smoother and less grainy as well. The bass is really strong and punchy. The vocals are astoundingly real.

One negative-positive, is that I have detected a little bloom on really strong vibes. I played an ECM recording of Gary Burton, the vibe player. The sound of the vibe notes resonate a long time and decay slowly. With the Jolida, the decay seems to last a really long time which is pleasing. But like I said, there is a little bloom on strong vibe notes that some listeners may not like. This is a characteristic of tubes, though, and may chane as those tubes are broken-in. There may be other blooming on other strong instruments but I haven't detected it yet. Overall, the unit gives the impression that it is well manufactured, heavily constructed and 100w/ch is too conservative.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ECMJazz
    I love the Jolida! One caveot is that you must replace the stock Chinese tubes with something better. I used Sovtek 12AX7LPS tubes. Some like EI tubes, some like the new GrooveTube. I was told by my dealer that the Jolida puts out 150 watts/ch into 4ohms but could find no reference other than that. You could call the Jolida factory and ask. I've only had my 1501RC for a week.

BTW: There are no tone or balance controls. I ordered my 1501RC with a preamp out, called a "Variable" out (for a subwoofer), and a "Fixed" out. I have no Tape1, Tape 2 loop (don't need). Therefore, I have only 4 "Source" buttons, Tuner, CD, Video, and Aux, one "Standby" button, and a Volume control. There's an on-off switch on the back of the unit.

One negative is that the plastic remote is cheesey, IMO.

I'm a bit confused here. Are you implying that 1501RC can be custom configure when I order them from JOLIDA direct?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ECMJazz
    I want to say one more thing about the configuration if you order. I find a preamp-out to be more usefull than 2 Tape loops, YMMV. If you need a bigger amp in the future, you could always use the Jolida as just a preamp. If you like the tube sound, a tube preamp never goes obsolete, something to think about.

The presentation is really quite good. Soundstage and imaging is excellent. With the Sovtek 12AX7LPS tubes, the highs are a little brighter and more forward than the stock Chinese tubes. I like that! The mid seems smoother and less grainy as well. The bass is really strong and punchy. The vocals are astoundingly real.

One negative-positive, is that I have detected a little bloom on really strong vibes. I played an ECM recording of Gary Burton, the vibe player. The sound of the vibe notes resonate a long time and decay slowly. With the Jolida, the decay seems to last a really long time which is pleasing. But like I said, there is a little bloom on strong vibe notes that some listeners may not like. This is a characteristic of tubes, though, and may chane as those tubes are broken-in. There may be other blooming on other strong instruments but I haven't detected it yet. Overall, the unit gives the impression that it is well manufactured, heavily constructed and 100w/ch is too conservative.

How hard is it to change out the tube? and how much it'll cost? I never own a tube product before, so I'm very curious to find out before I make any decision.

Forum Regular
    I'm a bit confused here. Are you implying that 1501RC can be custom configure when I order them from JOLIDA direct?

Interesting question! It depends on the dealer, I think. I ordered from Underwood HiFi. Underwoodwally said the 1501RC comes with a subout. He didn't elaborate. When I recieved the unit, it came with 4 inputs, Tuner, CD, Video and Aux, plus a "Variable" and "Fixed" preamp out.

The cheaper unit is the 1501A, which is not the remote controled version, can be ordered with a preamp out for and additional $100, which brings it to the same price as the 1501RC. Normally, the 1501A comes with the 4 inputs, plus 2 tape loops, Tape1 and Tape2 but no preamp out.

I placed my order with Underwood HiFi but unit was shipped from DIRECTLY from the Jolida factory direct to me.

Forum Regular
    How hard is it to change out the tube? and how much it'll cost? I never own a tube product before, so I'm very curious to find out before I make any decision.
    It's easy to change tubes. Open the case by unscrewing 7 screws, twist and push each of the 2 tube shields, and gently rock out the old tubes. Line up the pins on the new tubes with the sockets and gently rock-in the new tubes.

New tubes currently manufactured sell from $6 ea to $20 ea. I bought 4 Sovtek 12AX7LPS on ebay for $25 includ. shipping. These are better than the stock Chinese tubes.

New old stock tubes (NOS) are collector items and can be very expensive, up to $100 or more. These are tubes manufactured in the '50's, '60's etc that were never used, "new". Only serious tube heads shell out big bucks for NOS tubes.

Good luck!

AR Newbie Registered Member

Smile buy a used Acurus A250

400 watts per/channel @4 ohms, Built like a battleship. Sounds amazing

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by jygeqq
    400 watts per/channel @4 ohms, Built like a battleship. Sounds amazing

Got a URL for it? I like to check it out, thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information