Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by m500
    What's the best 4 ohm rated amp capable of 110 wpc Continuous Power for less then $1000.00? I don't believe I come across one yet. Anyone has any suggestion? I want one that is specifically rate to drive 4 ohm speaker not capable of, thanks.
    I have heard good things about Arcam

single channel 4Ω, 1khz 140w

LARGE

SPECIFICATIONS
    $899.00
    BROCHURE
    Last edited by BRANDONH; 12-02-2005 at 01:00 PM.
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

nightflier
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat
    www.audioadvisor.com They have a lot to choose from too. Check out the Parasound A-23...125 watts @ 8 ohms and 200 watts @ 4 ohms. Of course I would like to try tubes and anything like that might be fun.
    FYI: GG is blowing these out (open box) for $425.

Speaking of the MB Quart QLS830, that's the same speaker I have. I am currently driving them with a PS Audio HCA-2, but I have to say that they are really power-hungry speakers. I had a B&K ref3220 that was a better match to my ears. It was rated at 325 watts into 4 ohms and really made the Quarts come alive. If you have the time, see if you can find a B&K amp second hand. They are built like tanks and really don't shy away from difficult loads such as what the Quarts are asking for. The PS Audio is good too, but not like the B&K ref line.
    Last edited by nightflier; 12-02-2005 at 09:58 PM.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    FYI: GG is blowing these out (open box) for $425.

Speaking of the MB Quart QLS830, that's the same speaker I have. I am currently driving them with a PS Audio HCA-2, but I have to say that they are really power-hungry speakers. I had a B&K ref3220 that was a better match to my ears. It was rated at 325 watts into 4 ohms and really made the Quarts come alive. If you have the time, see if you can find a B&K amp second hand. They are built like tanks and really don't shy away from difficult loads such as what the Quarts are asking for. The PS Audio is good too, but not like the B&K ref line.

Are you referring to GoodGuys? Which location? Thanks.

Are you referring to GoodGuys? Which location? Thanks.
    I just looked up good Guys and they are closing all their stores in California:
    http://www.goodguys.com/default.htm
    List of stores:
    http://www.goodguys.com/canv.htm

What did you think or the Arcam?
    Are your speakers bi-ampable?
    notice thet the Arcam is set up for bi-amping.
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Forum Regular
    What is your listening style? Do you like to drive the speakers or are you more likely to chill and listen to refined detail? What about the styles of music you listen to, is there one or a few styles you listen to more often? How about the accoustics of the room itself, does it dampen bass or create boom areas where your speakers will be?

I would think these are important things to decide on so that you can select the amp most likely to match your listening style?

Forum Regular
    I listen to variety of musics but mostly Rock, R&B, Pop and vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grudge
    What is your listening style? Do you like to drive the speakers or are you more likely to chill and listen to refined detail? What about the styles of music you listen to, is there one or a few styles you listen to more often? How about the accoustics of the room itself, does it dampen bass or create boom areas where your speakers will be?

I would think these are important things to decide on so that you can select the amp most likely to match your listening style?

How about this one for $449 new.

Quote Originally Posted by 46minaudio
    The crown Ce1000 is a great unit but I think he would want one with RCA input jacks plus the fan on that unit can be a bit noisy for home environment.
    The Behringer A500 Reference Power Amp offers RCA input jacks and has 230 watts RMS @ 4 ohms stereo.
    and it is convection cooled so there will be no fan noise

LARGE FRONT VIEW
    LARGE REAR VIEW

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=248-749
    and for 179.99 is not a bad price.
    I like and use pro grade audio myself but do not think these audiophiles will even think of using pro equipment over audiophile grade.
    Last edited by BRANDONH; 12-22-2005 at 08:29 AM.
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by BRANDONH
    The crown Ce1000 is a great unit but I think he would want one with RCA input jacks plus the fan on that unit can be a bit noisy for home environment.
    The Behringer A500 Reference Power Amp offers RCA input jacks and has 230 watts RMS @ 4 ohms stereo.
    and it is convection cooled so there will be no fan noise

LARGE FRONT VIEW
    LARGE REAR VIEW

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=248-749
    and for 179.99 is not a bad price.
    I like and use pro grade audio myself but do not think these audiophiles will even think of using pro equipment over audiophile grade.

BRANDONH, the price is awesome but I need to find out hows the sound quality of it compare to NAD. Would this be a down grade in sound quality for power? Anyone used this unit, please provide comments, thank you.

BRANDONH, the price is awesome but I need to find out hows the sound quality of it compare to NAD. Would this be a down grade in sound quality for power? Anyone used this unit, please provide comments, thank you.
    I do not think you will suffer any degradation in sound quality.
    I think you will be plesently satisfied with the sound.
    This is a studio reference quality amp. And studio amps add little to no coloration to the music.
    Thats why its called an ultra-linear power amplifier.
    you can down load the pdf manual here:
    http://www.behringerdownload.de/A500/A500_ENG_Rev_A.pdf

here is their web site:
    http://www.behringer.com/A500/index.cfm?lang=ENG

And parts express offers a 45 day money back guarantee if you do not like it send it back:

Quote Originally Posted by Parts Express
    If for any reason you decide the part does not suit your application or just isn’t for you, simply return it in new, resalable condition within 45 days of the invoice date, postage paid, and we will immediately issue a credit or refund, whichever YOU prefer. Please read all Return FAQ's before returning products.
    Last edited by BRANDONH; 12-22-2005 at 01:11 PM.
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Interesting: pro amps

Quote Originally Posted by BRANDONH
    The Behringer A500 Reference Power Amp offers RCA input jacks and has 230 watts RMS @ 4 ohms stereo and it is convection cooled so there will be no fan noise
    I don't have personal experience with them, but I have little doubt that the better brands are at least the equal of entry level models from NAD, Rotel, Adcom, etc.. However they don't have enough snob appeal for high-end audiophiles!

These types will tend to same that pro amps are solid state-sounding, (i.e. grainy or sharp), or don't have enough resolution, or don't have good dynamics despite very high power ratings. But I'm skeptical that the better pro amps have these problems in any significant degree.

Nevertheless I'd be inclined to go with the Crown over the Behringer based on the formers long-established reputation. The lack of RCA inputs isn't a serious issue since there are XLR-RCA adaptors as well as hybrid cables. For these items, check out Markertek ...

If your still interested

What's the best 4 ohm rated amp capable of 110 wpc Continuous Power for less then $1000.00? I don't believe I come across one yet. Anyone has any suggestion? I want one that is specifically rate to drive 4 ohm speaker not capable of, thanks.
    This is a serious amp and for a good price I have two of them but before I had two I had one and you will not believe the sound this amp will produce.:

http://cgi.ebay.com/QSC-SRA-3622-STU...QQcmdZViewItem

my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information