Forum Regular

Angry Yamaha HTR-5560 problem

I am having a problem with my Yamaha HTR-5560. When I try and turn it on it immediatley shuts itself off. The warranty is now over, so sending it back to Yamaha is not the solution. I have looked inside the receiver and checked if the fuse was burnt out but that was not the case.

Before this happened I did have a message that said check speaker wires, which I did and saw nothing wrong.

Has anyone else had this problem. If so, what did you do to fix this. I will probably take it in to some repair shop to see what it would cost to fix it but I want to get an idea of the problem first.

Thanks in advance.

a hell of an engineer
    You don't need to post the same message in multiple forums.

Try disconnecting all connections from the back of the receiver except the power cord. Then, try turning it on again. Does the same problem occur?

Forum Regular
    I tried that. No luck.

I loved my reciever. Anyother other suggestions?

a hell of an engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by bigred8
    I tried that. No luck.

I loved my reciever. Anyother other suggestions?
    It's acting like there is a short circuit on one of the speaker outputs. Unplug the receiver, open it up and look at where the amplifier circuit connects to the speaker outputs on the inside. Are there any loose connections, stray wire strands, staples, paper clips, etc. shorting any of the speaker terminals to the case or to each other?

Forum Regular
    I just want to give you guys and update of what happened to my amplifier. I took it in the repair shop and they said that two transistors on the center speaker amp where blown and had to be replaced. I replaced them and now my amplifier works GREAT! Thanks for all your posts.

However, I am afraid to plug in my center speaker just in case it will blow the transistors again. Is there anyway that I can check if my center speaker is operating correctly so that this won't happen again?

I am afraid to plug in my center speaker just in case it will blow the transistors again. Is there anyway that I can check if my center speaker is operating correctly so that this won't happen again?
    In all probability, there's nothing wrong with your center channel. I've never had a driver develop a short circuit in many years of speaker ownership. If there's any problem, it's usually in the wiring.

If you want to be sure, check the resistance using an ohmmeter. Take a reading on the leads that you'd normally connect to the Yamaha.

If you don't have a meter, an easy check is to take a 1.5-volt battery (AAA, AA, etc.) and touch a speaker lead to each side of the battery. You should hear a scratchy noise out of the speaker's tweeter. If you don't hear it, then you've likely got a short in the wiring. Then you should try the same thing with different wires connected to the speaker.
    Click here to see my system.

Forum Regular
    I used my ohmmeter and I heard some scratchy sound come out from the speaker and the needle moved all the way to the other side. I guess that means everything is okay?

Is there anything else I can do to check this?

I used my ohmmeter and I heard some scratchy sound come out from the speaker and the needle moved all the way to the other side. I guess that means everything is okay?

Is there anything else I can do to check this?
    Well the needle shouldn't have moved ALL the way to the other side, but I assume this is because you may not have properly zeroed the meter.

First, make sure the meter's multiplier is on the "X 1" (times one) setting. Then touch the meter's leads to each other and turn the dial until the needle is directly over the "0" number. That indicates a short circuit (what you are doing when you touch the leads together). Now when you measure the speaker leads, you should get a reading that is closer to the impedance of your speakers (6 ohms, 8 ohms, etc.).

Just the fact that you got the scratchy noise indicates that there's not a short in the wiring.

Measure your speaker, but it's probably fine to reconnect it to the receiver. Transistors occasionally will commit suicide on their own.
    Click here to see my system.

AR Newbie Registered Member

Same problem here.

Hi bigred8,
    I have a yamaha rx-v992 and I am experiencing the same problem. I power up the unit and immediately it shuts off... Did you replace the transistors yourself or did the repair shop do it for you (if so, how much did they charge you). If you replaced them yourself, can you give me an idea as to which board was the faulty one?

Thanks in advance.

Thread Information