Forum Regular

What amp for Kef Cadenza?

Hi, I've recently got into wanting a decent sound and I need a little help.

I currently have a nice pair of recently acquired 1974 Kef Cadenzas with new resonators, but I'm driving them with a very low-end newish Sony amp, so I don't think they're getting what they deserve. I'm using chunky Gale speaker cable and Cambridge Audio red interconnects.

I'm looking to spend around £50 (a bit tight, I know!) on a half-decent second hand amp, age no object - there's just so many of them! What ones would you recommend?

I mainly listen to rock/soft rock and acoustic music played from a Yamaha CD player - it won't be used for HT at all. The room is about 3m by 5m, and unfortunately since it's a terraced house I can't listen to it very loud. Thanks for the help in advance.

Forum Regular
    Here are the specs for the Kef Cadenza. They appear to be rather insensitive, 96 dB with 15 watts works out to be about 83 dB with 1 watt, and with since they haven't recommended a big amplifier, you wouldn't want to play them excessively loud.

http://www.kef.com/history/1970/cadenza.asp

They don't give the size of the woofer but I imagine it's 8 inches. The crossover to the tweeter is 3500 Hz, which is rather high by todays standards, and it means that the off axis dispersion between about 1000-3000 Hz would not be very good. Definitely a listening window speaker. But with careful placement on stands and away from side walls, some of the old Kefs can sound very good in the listening window.

I imagine your Sony receiver has enough power for you.
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the help. The Sony is 30w per channel, but the midrange is a bit muddy and the bass is lacking compared with other amps - I tested the speakers with the significantly more expensive Cambridge Audio one downstairs, and there is a huge difference.

I was hoping for better sound quality rather than more power, and I'm guessing this Sony isn't top of the range!

you could try to look for an old marantz, or an old kenwood or so
    if you're lucky you might find some very good stuff for a few pounds...
    your budget begs for vintage...

Good luck,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304