AR Elite Member

Yamaha RX-V2400 as pre/pro?

Has anyone had experience using the Yamaha RX-V2400 as a pre/pro? How does it color the sound, if at all? I was wondering if anyone has used it before in that capacity.

Forum Regular

Question

Quote Originally Posted by musicguy04
    Has anyone had experience using the Yamaha RX-V2400 as a pre/pro? How does it color the sound, if at all? I was wondering if anyone has used it before in that capacity.
    I have the same question
    I would like to use my two mono power amps (Marantz Esotec MA-5) to drive the front speakers and let the Yamaha drive the other speakers. But before buying it I would like to know how it will work in terms of sound quality

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I use the RX-V1400 as a pre/pro. I almost bought some Anthem HT processor unit from my Paradigm dealer last year, and looked at some Rotel stuff too, but in the end I couldn't beat the value a decent A/V receiver offers.
    At first I used a Parasound amp for the front mains, then 2 Adcom's...I have 7 speakers connected, the receiver drives the 2 rear speakers in my setup...it has no problems at all.
    I don't notice any colorations or anything like that. This Yamaha unit is NOT bright sounding at all. Very neutral. It has a surprising amount of power and doesn't sound half bad on its own too.
    I use it occasionally for 2-channel stereo too, it's not bad, but I use a Rotel integrated in another room as my main system. When I finally get around to buying a DVD-A/SACD player I'll have some decisions to make.
    Just curious...why the RX-V2400 over the 1400?

Forum Regular

You won't find any better for a lot more money

Have a couple of friends doing just that. Much better processing/switching than pre/pros at 4x the price. Put the money into the amps and speakers.
    Space

The preceding comments have not been subjected to double blind testing, and so must just be taken as casual observations and not given the weight of actual scientific data to be used to prove a case in a court of law or scientific journal. The comments represent my humble opinion which will range in the readers perspective to vary from Gospel to heresy. So let it be.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by spacedeckman
    Have a couple of friends doing just that. Much better processing/switching than pre/pros at 4x the price. Put the money into the amps and speakers.
    Yes this is what I want to do put the money into amps but still keep my two Marants mono amps

Therefore I think I will probably test and choose between Arcam and Rotel which have the most musical and high quality A/V amps for HT
    I will check which one will better fit with my two Marantz mono amps (front speakers)
    What do you think ?

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Mario53:
    I like Rotel and Arcam, they make some good products.
    I really think you should do yourself a favor. Put the Yamaha on your short list too. When I was shopping a year ago, I was ready to buy either Rotel or Anthem for the high quality sound.
    The Yamaha's pre/pro section is amazing, I dare say as good as the Rotel and Anthem...with power amps added you could accomplish the same goal, only cheaper.
    It wouldn't cost you much to at least try it.
    I ended up buying a nice Rotel integrated to dedicate for 2-channel stereo, and the Yamaha receiver for HT and still saved some money.

Forum Regular

Buy the Arcam amp...I won't stop you...Amazing piece

of gear.

Also really like the Parasound Halo stuff.

Again, using the Yamaha, you open up a huge budget for amplfiers when compared to the "real" preamp processors. I will admit though, that Arcam A8 is a "showstopper", but if it isn't in your cards today, you are on the right path. At present, I would have to do the same thing.
    Space

The preceding comments have not been subjected to double blind testing, and so must just be taken as casual observations and not given the weight of actual scientific data to be used to prove a case in a court of law or scientific journal. The comments represent my humble opinion which will range in the readers perspective to vary from Gospel to heresy. So let it be.

Thread Information