Question Denon AVR-2105 vs Pioneer VSX-815

Hi All,
    Been shopping around & I'm down to these 2 models and was wondering if anyone had thoughts on which is better. I'll be using it mostly for music CDs but do also play alot of DVDs. My speakers are 4 Paradigm Atoms and a Paradigm cc-130. I cant spend more than $400. Thanks!

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DanGinCT
    Hi All,
    Been shopping around & I'm down to these 2 models and was wondering if anyone had thoughts on which is better. I'll be using it mostly for music CDs but do also play alot of DVDs. My speakers are 4 Paradigm Atoms and a Paradigm cc-130. I cant spend more than $400. Thanks!

Dan
    Well it kinda depends on you. When I was shopping for an AVR, I broke down what I wanted and started from there. If either of those units meets your needs and gives a little flexibility, then either one should be fine. Try to spend a little time with each unit if possible.

I picked up the Onkyo 603 at CC for only $329. It has On screen display, auto setup, learning remote with macros, plenty of inputs, video switching and alot of other features I probably will never use.

You should have plenty of options at that $400 price point. Have fun!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DanGinCT
    Hi All,

Dan
    I have heard a lot of good things about the Pioneer lately. But you can't really go wrong with a Denon either. As LJ said, try to put some listening time in with both. Read over their features and pick the one that has the ones you want and sounds best to you.
    The auto set-up is a great feature though. Unless you are ready to do all the set up checking yourself, I'd pick one with the auto.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Always thought that was a pretty good buy,the 2105 for what you get.
    Look & Listen

Just a thought, you may be able to bump up to the Pioneer 1015. If I'm not mistaken, Kex said J&R was offering it for under $400.

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4031462

Forum Regular
    both r great and best A/V receiver makers in the market

forget Sony,Onkyo,Yamaha etc

Buy Pioneer, cheaper than Denon and has THX logo at low price models
    Pioneer VSX-AX3 Receiver
    Pioneer Dv-668 Dvd(Ecosse Composer MKII inter.)
    Infocus Screenplay 4805(AR Pro II Component)
    B&W 602 S3 Fronts(Monster THX)
    B&W CLR 60 Center
    B&W CDM-SNT Surr.
    Denon PMA-1500 MK II int. amp.
    Definitive Tech SuperCube II SW
    H/K HD970(Ecosse Composer MKII inter.)
    Marantz CD5001(AR PRO II inter.)
    Marantz PM-17MKII M
    Kef IQ3(Ecosse Cs2.3 wire)

Also Yamaha has their 5860 on sale for $399 right now.
    That is $100 off regular retail.

Quote Originally Posted by abulgan
    forget.......,Onkyo,Yamaha etc
    I'm curious......why should Onkyo and Yamaha be forgot?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    I'm curious......why should Onkyo and Yamaha be forgot?
    He also said go with pioneer cause its THX ceritified, so yeah......

THX certification means about 3/4 of nothing.

Forum Regular
    cause Onkyo and Yamaha making bad receivers especially Onkyo(also expensive than Pioneer)Yamaha sounds better than Onkyo but it sounds hard ,
    u can go by Sony with ES series but they r above 1500 usd

so Pioneer would be perfect choice

my friend THX means everything ok?u don't have to use THX mode,but means it has been tested and reached a high quality level,Pioneer and Denon,getting awards every-year for best receiver,i don't have a THX system,but 4 me A receiver has to be THX approved

Onkyo,Pioneer,Yamaha,Lexicon,Denon,JBl must be fool then ,searching for THX approve
    Pioneer VSX-AX3 Receiver
    Pioneer Dv-668 Dvd(Ecosse Composer MKII inter.)
    Infocus Screenplay 4805(AR Pro II Component)
    B&W 602 S3 Fronts(Monster THX)
    B&W CLR 60 Center
    B&W CDM-SNT Surr.
    Denon PMA-1500 MK II int. amp.
    Definitive Tech SuperCube II SW
    Marantz CD5001(AR PRO II inter.)
    Marantz PM-17MKII M
    Kef IQ3(Ecosse Cs2.3 wire)

cause Onkyo and Yamaha making bad receivers especially Onkyo(also expensive than Pioneer)Yamaha sounds better than Onkyo but it sounds hard ,
    So I take it my Onkyo is gonna blow up soon and all the Yamaha owners are screwed as well. Phew!.....I'm glad I got that extended warranty. The words Yamaha and reliable has been put together so many times on this and other boards I'm suprised by your comments.

Well we have all been doing this wrong then, haven't we....

my friend THX means everything ok?u don't have to use THX mode,but means it has been tested and reached a high quality level,Pioneer and Denon,getting awards every-year for best receiver,i don't have a THX system,but 4 me A receiver has to be THX approved

Onkyo,Pioneer,Yamaha,Lexicon,Denon,JBl must be fool then ,searching for THX approve
    THX is kinda like fools gold. Looks nice and some even thinks its something really neat.
    Look & Listen

Long long ago, but not so far away, what you say about THX was correct. But those days have past. The companies mentioned above chase THX certs so that uninformed consumers will think that they are getting something special and pay more money for it. They are not fools. No more so than Bose is. They are chasing the dollar. Welcome to business 101.
    Pioneer is still a good choice. But no more so than Yamaha, Onkyo or Denon. They all make good units for a fair price.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    As an owner of an 815 my vote is there based on features and value. You do need to listen to both. If you really feel compelled to spend the whole $400 then you may want to look at the 1015 which has a few more features than the 815 and can often be found cheaper than Denon. BB runs deals on both the 815 and 1015 from time to time on their website.

I stand by PIONEER when it comes to lower price. Denon makes great high end stuff, but their lower end is ..well, not as good as the Pioneer.

Thats BS. They both have good stuff from low to high,come on.
    Look & Listen

Thread Information