Which Way To Go ?

Printable View

• 08-03-2004, 06:48 PM
    longballsd
    Which Way To Go ?
    First, my system (70% music/30%HT):

Yamaha RXV 995, Paradigm Studio 60v.2 mains (eventually to be upgraded to the Studio 100's and these moved to the surrounds), Paradigm Studio 20'sv.3 surrounds on stands, Paradigm CC 470v.3 center, Energy eXL s-10 sub (soon to be upgraded to the Paradigm PW2200), Toshiba 2715 (I know a piece of crap). Room size 20' X 30' with hardwood floors ( bad, I know) covered with a 12 x 12 area rug (which helps).

The Studio 60's are so "super clean" that I think something is wrong with them. I just feel like they should have more of a mid/bass response at times which they don't. I suppose it could be the floors but I don't think so. Shouldn't there be more "definition" at times in the mid/bass area? I feel that I should go WOW which only happens when I turn them up so load that there is ZERO distortion and just great clean sound. At lower volume is when they especially need more of the mid/bass response.

My thought is to "step up" to a 2 channel amp (and make the RXV995 a pre-amp) like a B&K Reference 2220 or 4420 or a Rotal RB 1080 in the 200w X 2 range that will "beef up" my Studio 60's. I've even thought of some older models like Nalamichi PA7, Yamaha 1000U or Yamaha M-80 because they're cheaper if my experiment doesn't work.

The other thought then is why not just go with a 5 channel amp in the 200w X 5 range and let my entire system get "kicked up a notch"? The other thought of a 2 channel amp was to make my 2 channel music system come to life which I enjoy most of the time.

What are the advantages of a 2 channel amp vs. a 5 channel amp and will the 5 channel amp accomplish my goal of making my "music" systme better?? Any input is appreciated. I'm really not sure which way to go.

Thanks,

Rick
  • 08-03-2004, 08:06 PM
    mtrycraft
    Quote:

Originally Posted by longballsd
    First, my system (70% music/30%HT):

Yamaha RXV 995, Paradigm Studio 60v.2 mains (eventually to be upgraded to the Studio 100's and these moved to the surrounds), Paradigm Studio 20'sv.3 surrounds on stands, Paradigm CC 470v.3 center, Energy eXL s-10 sub (soon to be upgraded to the Paradigm PW2200), Toshiba 2715 (I know a piece of crap). Room size 20' X 30' with hardwood floors ( bad, I know) covered with a 12 x 12 area rug (which helps).

The Studio 60's are so "super clean" that I think something is wrong with them. I just feel like they should have more of a mid/bass response at times which they don't. I suppose it could be the floors but I don't think so. Shouldn't there be more "definition" at times in the mid/bass area? I feel that I should go WOW which only happens when I turn them up so load that there is ZERO distortion and just great clean sound. At lower volume is when they especially need more of the mid/bass response.

My thought is to "step up" to a 2 channel amp (and make the RXV995 a pre-amp) like a B&K Reference 2220 or 4420 or a Rotal RB 1080 in the 200w X 2 range that will "beef up" my Studio 60's. I've even thought of some older models like Nalamichi PA7, Yamaha 1000U or Yamaha M-80 because they're cheaper if my experiment doesn't work.

The other thought then is why not just go with a 5 channel amp in the 200w X 5 range and let my entire system get "kicked up a notch"? The other thought of a 2 channel amp was to make my 2 channel music system come to life which I enjoy most of the time.

What are the advantages of a 2 channel amp vs. a 5 channel amp and will the 5 channel amp accomplish my goal of making my "music" systme better?? Any input is appreciated. I'm really not sure which way to go.

Thanks,

Rick

Don't make too much about the amp. Your speakers and room are the most important aspect. Just make sure your speaker is not a difficult load to drive and is sufficiently sensitive.
    You will be fine with a 5 channel amp.