OWNED BY A GREYHOUND PAOGORMAN2001's Avatar

Adcom GFA 5500 Vs. Nad C272

Has anyone owned these two amps who can comment upon the differences beside the power output? I have a chance to pick the Adcom used for a second system and already have the C272. Any comments would be appreciated. The amp will be used in conjunction with B&W 805S's

Thanks-Pogo
    NAD M3 INTEGRATED

REGA APOLLO CDP

B&W 805S SPEAKERS

BOSTON ACOUSTICS PV700 200 WATT POWERERD SUB

Neither

Quote Originally Posted by PAOGORMAN2001
    Has anyone owned these two amps who can comment upon the differences beside the power output? I have a chance to pick the Adcom used for a second system and already have the C272. Any comments would be appreciated. The amp will be used in conjunction with B&W 805S's

Thanks-Pogo
    Pogo, quite honestly to complement the fairly high-end 805S', I would be looking for a better amp than either of these. If you can manage a grand, I would recommend a pair of Monarchy SM-70 Pro's like I've got. Yes, maybe I'm biased at this point, but I had listen to a variety of amps including the NAD C270 and the Adcom 555II, and the Monarchys beat the heck out of them.
    Last edited by Feanor; 03-02-2008 at 06:50 PM.

Suspended
    I haven't heard the c272 but if you already own it and it does the job, why spend money unless an upgrade.

I do have a gfa-5500 that drive my Dynaudio Audience 60's and I'm really pleased with it. The 5500 is a powerful 200 wpc, frequency response is fairly balanced with a strong bass response, the amp tends to lean toward a dark sound, this could be a result of using MOSFET's. I just have the gtp-450 for a preamp but using a Conrad Johnson solid state DAC. The system is impressive to me for the price range. If you aren't happy with the 272's job give the 5500 a shot. There are better amps but for used around $500.00 or less, it's a steal. I did have the 5400 which was replaced by the 5500 and there is quite a bit of difference there.

What associated gear will in the system?

AR Newbie Registered Member
    I have not had the chance to listen to a good NAD. I have listened to Rotel. The Rotel was beautiful, but did not have power comparable to my GFA 5500, so not fair to compare. AND...I see a lot of folks rate the Adcom GFA 5500 based on their experience with the much more common GFA 545 or GFA 555. This is a grievous injustice to the 5500. I listened to both side by side and the 5500 is a fantastic AMP for what it costs ($400 - $500 used). Watch the prices and you will see that even though the 555 has the same nominal power (200W) it goes for 25% to 33% less. The 5500 is NOT just a re-numbered 555, but a completely different design. Power supply, mosfets, etc., etc. I would gladly pay double for a 5500 over a 555 myself.

CAVE:

Technic SLQL1 Turntable
    Adcom 5500 Amp
    Adcom 555II Pre-Amp
    Marantz CC870 CD Player
    Monster Power HTS2600 Power Center
    PSB Stratus Gold
    Celestion Ditton 66
    GARAGE
    Sony C69ES
    Carver The Receiver
    Klipsch Heresy