Sophisticated Red Neck manlystanley's Avatar

Waht do you guys think of this deal?

A local guy wants to sell his ADCOM (power amp) GFA-555 and (Pre amp) GTP-400 for $400. So I've got a couple of questions:

--Is that a good deal?
    --The GFA-555 only has two outputs, so I can't bi-amp. Is that a big loss?
    -- How old do you guys think this equipment is??

Thanks,
    Stan
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

Family Room: Denon avr-687, Denon CD player, Klipsch RB-5II

Suspended
    I'm not sure on age, you'd have to check a Google search or find some one with Bluebook access. My guess is at least 15 years. Even so that is a good deal. The 555 is a 200x2 amp and decent quality. I have pretty much the same thing but newer models and I was thinking of asking $600.00 for the set, 450/5500. Take a look at Audigon even though the 555 has some age and sells at a crazy low price, for what it is, it alone is usually $400.00give or take. You could probably use the gear until upgrade fever hits and get your money back out of them.

What I'm trying to say if the gear is good condition it's a fair price and if you decide to sell down the road you shouldn't have any trouble recooping your investment.

I sold a GFA-555 within the past year and I think I got around $325 for it...maybe it was $375...my memory is fading. I don't know much about the Tuner/Preamps but assuming $325 out of the $400 goes toward the GFA-555, $75 for the GTP-450 would be a nice deal. The GTP-450 seems like it ought to be worth more like $150.

Forum Regular
    The first year of production of the GPT-400 tuner / preamp was 1989. The GFA-555 power amp was first made in 1985. I think that Adcom changed the front face plate on the GFA-555 after a couple of years but I am not sure what year that was.
    Just a heads up, some of the old Adcom-555 power amps have a problem with leaking caps on 1 of the PCB boards. You may want to google this problem and look at the condition of caps on the one your buying.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Sweet deal Stan, if the condition is even 75% go for it. I would let the aesthetics slip a bit on this one...

I was seriously considering this deal, and then I got a bonus at work, so my sights have gone up to around $1000 for the pre/power. So, I gave the guy a low ball offer ($250) and he politely told me to go pound sand....

I'm now seriously thinking about the Emotiva USP-2 and XPA-2. I sent them a mail seeing if they had any special deals.

Thanks for all the pointers you guys have given me! As a question do you think the Emotiva is the best price/sound deal?

Thanks,
    Stan
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

Suspended
    Be sure if you get the Emo to let us know what you think of it. The USP crossover feature is a cool thing and built in phono stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    .....The USP crossover feature is a cool thing ........
    Kinda makes ya wonder why more manufacturers don't offer this.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Suspended
    Yeah, it would make for some easy biamping fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Be sure if you get the Emo to let us know what you think of it. The USP crossover feature is a cool thing and built in phono stage.
    Anyone live near Fairfax Va? We could have an "Evaluation Party"??

Thread Information