• 08-01-2011, 04:12 PM
    cyto
    Which volume control to use?
    I have my Denon CD changer hooked directly to the Yaqin integrated amp. I also have the pre outs from the Technics hooked up to the Yaqin, to use the tuner.

I was wondering what the "proper" method of volume control is when a pre amp is connected to an integrated. Turn the Yaqin up and control it with the Technics or use the volume control on the Yaqin and leave the Technics volume control alone?

So far I have been using the Yaqin volume control and leaving the Technics on 3 (scale of 10). I was thinking that if the Technics is turned up too high then too much signal may be going to the pre amp section of the Yaqin. It sounds fine, just curious.
  • 08-01-2011, 05:22 PM
    poppachubby
    You will want to have all sources turned right up to take advantage of their S/N. Use the integrated as your regular gain.
  • 08-01-2011, 05:58 PM
    cyto
    Quote:

Originally Posted by poppachubby View Post
    You will want to have all sources turned right up to take advantage of their S/N. Use the integrated as your regular gain.

Thanks. So a high level of signal going into the integrated tube amp is not an issue?
  • 08-01-2011, 09:50 PM
    harley .guy07
    I would use it as more of a gain and turn it up to a level that seems to suit the input. If you start to hear a hard sound or distortion then you are turning it up too loud going into the integrated.
  • 08-02-2011, 04:04 AM
    Hyfi
    Related setup-

I use my 2 ch system to drive the Fronts when using HT receiver for movies.

I turn the volume on the pre up to about 12oclock, then run the Audessy setup and control overall volume with the HT receiver.

I was always under the impression that you would want to use the Pre volume higher and input lower to utilize the gain stage of pre.
  • 08-02-2011, 09:40 AM
    02audionoob
    I'd adjust the Technics so it is approximately the same volume as the CD player.
  • 08-06-2011, 03:05 AM
    Poultrygeist
    I've always used the preamp to control the volume with the amp volume all the way up.
  • 08-07-2011, 06:42 AM
    mav52
    Quote:

I've always used the preamp to control the volume with the amp volume all the way up.
    :3::3: same here
  • 08-07-2011, 07:41 AM
    Feanor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Poultrygeist View Post

That's how I do it if the amp's volume control is just a passive attenuator, However where the downstream amp is an integrated that has a voltage gain stage, (like most preamps), I set the integrated's volume to a zero-gain setting (or approximation there of), then control the overall volume with the preamp as you say.
  • 08-07-2011, 08:04 AM
    02audionoob
    The OP's situation is a little different in that the receiver is in concept being used as a source (tuner) rather than a preamp. It seems to me the integrated needs to be the primary volume control because it also will be controlling the volume of the CD player.
  • 08-07-2011, 08:30 AM
    cyto
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 02audionoob View Post
    The OP's situation is a little different in that the receiver is in concept being used as a source (tuner) rather than a preamp. It seems to me the integrated needs to be the primary volume control because it also will be controlling the volume of the CD player.

That is what I was thinking but didn't quite know how to say it. I liked your suggestion of adjusting the Technics volume so the output is about the same level as the CD player. Means less fiddling, which is good because my wife turns it on to listen to the tuner.
  • 08-07-2011, 08:41 AM
    frenchmon
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cyto View Post
    That is what I was thinking but didn't quite know how to say it. I liked your suggestion of adjusting the Technics volume so the output is about the same level as the CD player. Means less fiddling, which is good because my wife turns it on to listen to the tuner.

Well thats the way I see it as well.

I have the Vincent which does not have phono stage as my main volume control for the TT. I've got the TT connected into the Rotel preamp which has a phone stage, and then ran the Rotel out into the Vincent...the source is the Rotel....no different than having a dedicated phono pre...it would be the source, or no different than a tuner being the source.
  • 08-07-2011, 08:58 AM
    Feanor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cyto View Post

Yep, I think that's the way to go.