TSH
    Forum Regular

Using NAD C352 As a Power Amp with NAD T743

Wondering if I can use my NAD integrated C352 to power my fronts and let my NAD T743 receiver power all other channels? Any one know how I would go about connecting the C352 to the T743 to accomplish this? Thanks!

No problem

Quote Originally Posted by TSH
    Wondering if I can use my NAD integrated C352 to power my fronts and let my NAD T743 receiver power all other channels? Any one know how I would go about connecting the C352 to the T743 to accomplish this? Thanks!
    Couldn't be easier, TSH. Remove the Pre-Out2 to Main-In jumpers on the C352 and connect the latter to the Pre-out Front Left/Rights on the T743: you're in business. Of course you might have to adust the relative volume settings for the front channels.

While Feanor provided the answer as to how, the question is why? The power difference between the two is marginal: 80 watts RMS vs. 50 watts RMS. That is about 2db which is audible, but not significant. It seems a waste to use both amps as one for such marginal improvement. If you're not using the 352, perhaps you could sell it to buy a higher output power amp.

rw

TSH
    Forum Regular
    Thanks for the "how", Feanor. That is pretty simple, but I just did not want to risk blowing anything.

As for the "why", I suppose there are a couple reasons. I was told that the amplifier quality on the C352 was better than what was in the T743. Given that I will be using this for both home theatre duty and 2 channel, I assumed that meant I would get better sound quality for two channel if I drove the fronts with a 'better' amp AND that I would get better home theatre performance by giving more power to the center and surrounds if I off-loaded the fronts to another amp. As for whether this is true and whether I can tell the difference, that is to be determined.

Have I got this all wrong?

As for whether this is true and whether I can tell the difference, that is to be determined...Have I got this all wrong?
    Sorry if I sounded like I was raining on your parade. By all means, I would try it. Since I've owned the 320BEE and presently have a T763, I'm not convinced you are going to hear much in the way of qualitative differences between the two. That is another way of saying that the audio quality of their receivers is quite good within a given power range.

rw

Ajani
    Thanks for the "how", Feanor. That is pretty simple, but I just did not want to risk blowing anything.

As for the "why", I suppose there are a couple reasons. I was told that the amplifier quality on the C352 was better than what was in the T743. Given that I will be using this for both home theatre duty and 2 channel, I assumed that meant I would get better sound quality for two channel if I drove the fronts with a 'better' amp AND that I would get better home theatre performance by giving more power to the center and surrounds if I off-loaded the fronts to another amp. As for whether this is true and whether I can tell the difference, that is to be determined.

Have I got this all wrong?
    You've got the theory correct... but like E-Stat, I suspect you won't hear much difference by using the 352 as an amp... BUT, since you already have both components lying around, then it won't hurt to try....

TSH
    Forum Regular
    Understood. Worth a try, and if there is no difference, I have a component to sell, or hold on to for some potential future use. Will hook it up on the weekend and see what happens...Thanks all.

TSH
    Forum Regular

Volume Question C352 vs. T743

My current configuration is as follows:

NAD C542 CDP and turntable connected to C352 integrated.

Cable box and DVD player connected to T743 receiver.

Front speakers connected to C352; Center and Surrounds connected to T743.

T743 Front L/R audio pre-outs connected to Aux line-in on C352. This allows me to play two channel only through the C352 but use the same fronts when watching a movie or concert DVD.

My question is: on the C352 when listening to a CD, the volume knob is typically at the 8 o'clock or 9 o'clock position and it is plenty loud for my needs. However, when watching a movie or concert disc with the receiver, I have to set the C352 volume knob at the 12 o'clock or 1 o'clock position in order to get comparable volume from the fronts. Why is that?

Thanks.

Why is that?
    Relative gain differs greatly not only among difference sources, but with different examples of the software as well. Frequently, line level sources such as tuners and CDPs don't need any more amplification before the power amp. When I used to run the CDP in my main music system through the preamp, I was likewise getting maximum output around 9:00. That is less than optimum for two reasons: most attenuators work best from the 11 to 2:00 range and there is excess gain in the chain. It is for that reason I now pass the CDP through attenuators having no (superfluous) gain stage directly to the amplifiers. I get more usable range with the controls and the sound is better eliminating the line stage. I use the preamp solely for phono duty where the gain is necessary.

Similarly, you will find variances among CDs or cable sources. You can find plenty of examples of CDs that follow the current trend of compressing the dynamics which run at higher average levels. All my Telarc recordings, for example, are both wide in dynamic range and lower in average gain. Similarly, regular cable channels are typically louder than movie channels. Not to mention the case where the gain is increased just for commercials. I find a reciprocal relationship here. In general, the lower level sources offer more wider and more natural dynamics.

rw

TSH
    Forum Regular
    Thanks for the response. I am just surprised that the differences are that great.

Get a Niles audio SAS-1 to switch between amps for the front channel speakers. I use this set up to switch between my Adcom AVR for HT use and my Parasound amp for 2ch audio.
    Its basically and amp switcher for 1 set of speakers.

http://www.nilesaudio.com/product.ph...rdcdID=FG00230

If at least one amp has a 12volt trigger output that puts out a minimum of 100mA then you could use the SPK-1 which is cheaper

http://www.nilesaudio.com/product.ph...rdcdID=FG00240

I have both and I bought the SAS-1 used on Ebay for $10, it lists for $150 and the SPK-1 sells for about $100
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

TSH
    Forum Regular
    Thanks for the suggestion. I didnt even know something like that existed.

Thread Information