Forum Regular

Amplifiers - Basic Stuff i need to wrap my head around

You'll have to excuse this general and low-level question but i need to know some stuff about amplifiers so that i can decide if i need to get one.

A)First of all, Do you think it helps to have an amplifier to process all audio signals before delivering them to the speakers?I mean is the difference noticeable when it comes to amp or no amp?

B)What are the gains of having an amp?Louder volume,less noise distortion,greater base and treble?Are the above statements true?

C)So how does it work?I mean how can you get more bass,less noise and louder volume without distorting the source?

I wonder why software equalizers fail to provide results when supposedly amp handle this kind of work,why is it that they're superior to this?

D)Finally,pre-amp vs amp vs power-amp?Why so many stages of hardware?Are they all needed individually? I hear that a preamp shapes the sound and drives it to the poweramp that drives it to the speakers and a system combining the two together is an integrated amp.This is whai i get so far.

Again i apologize for these questions, but i need someone to take me back to the basics.

Quote Originally Posted by therock003
    You'll have to excuse this general and low-level question but i need to know some stuff about amplifiers so that i can decide if i need to get one.
    Welcome to AR. I think you'll find this will be a valuable resource for useful information.

A)First of all, Do you think it helps to have an amplifier to process all audio signals before delivering them to the speakers?I mean is the difference noticeable when it comes to amp or no amp?
    I think some of the terminology has led you astray. At any system's fundamental level, there is always a power amplifier. In the beginning, there is a source. Most of them including tuners, tape decks, CD players, digital juke boxes deliver a nominal 2 volt output. And there are outliers that have either slightly less or more output (my CDP delivers 4 volts), but none of them are capable of driving a loudspeaker. Output from phonograph cartridges requires a separate amplification stage to both increase the level of the signal and shape it as well. Also, there is a preamplifier that usually comes between the source and the amplifier. They have the control logic (volume, balance, source selection) and also provide some gain as well. Now is where the amplifier fits in. They take the "line level" output and amplify it by a factor of about 800 times or so in order to drive the speaker (29 db gain). The confusing part is that amplifiers can be found broadly in three different categories: power amp, integrated amp and receiver. They differ in the additional capabilities each one possesses. Starting at the most complex, a receiver is a power amp, preamp and tuner in one chassis. An integrated amp combines the preamp and power amp in one box. Power amps do that function alone.

B)What are the gains of having an amp?Louder volume,less noise distortion,greater base and treble?Are the above statements true?
    Regarding the benefits of a better amp, all of the above can be true. There are vast differences in the qualitative performance of audio gear.

C)So how does it work?I mean how can you get more bass,less noise and louder volume without distorting the source?
    The answer to the first question is quite complex. There are different design strategies and qualitative differences found in the various components that comprise an amplifier. The modest $300 NAD 325BEE integrated provides good sound within its power range. On the other hand, the best amp I've heard is a pair of $40k VTL Siegfried mono amps. They are high powered and offer a degree of clarity way beyond that of the NAD.

I wonder why software equalizers fail to provide results when supposedly amp handle this kind of work,why is it that they're superior to this?
    Hmmm. Not sure of the exact question here. Amps simply increase the level of the source. Understand that the quality of sources varies widely. You cannot *fix* what is lost in the beginning.

rw

Forum Regular
    I see, so the basic functions of ampliifiers is to amp signal in order to drive it to loudspeakers.

Well i am actually more interested in the DSP part since i do not have nor do i intend to purchase loupspeakers or sound system in the near future.

Mostly i require a setup were the sound is processed from the source and it becomes more clear louder and i would also like to have equalizer properties. But not on a software level.

Most Preferably i need good and deep bass since i prefer hip-hop and dance.

Will an amp get me there?If so i wont hold back, I may as well give 1000-1500 Euros for an AMP if the results are aesthetically pleasing.

So all in all would you say that higher end models give more power to greater loudspeakers rather than having better DSPs?

For example will this Harman Kardon be an overkill for me for low-level speakers and headphone use?

http://images.e-shop.gr/images/PER/BIG/PER.502576.jpg
    http://images.e-shop.gr/images/PER/A...R.502576_1.jpg

So all in all would you say that higher end models give more power to greater loudspeakers rather than having better DSPs?
    Yes. The addition of digital signal processing can only effect what is there and equalization to provide more bass requires power. It cannot restore what was lost or never captured.

For example will this Harman Kardon be an overkill for me for low-level speakers and headphone use?
    What are you using presently?

rw

Forum Regular
    For the computer i use 2.1 yamaha speakers. Dont know exact model cause they came with my desktop computer back in 2001 and i frequently use headphones. Sennheiser and a pair of shure s530. The later though retail at 599 USD they are the most high end IEMs.

As far as pre-amp power amp i have none.I do have a sony hi-fi though but it fairly old and i dont tend to use it all. IT doesnt even have spdif support.

This is the one.

http://www.sony.com.au/catalog/product.jsp?id=MHCEX9AV

If you are looking for tricked out sound you might give something like this a spin. If that ends up making you nauseous, come back and we'll set you up with some good speakers.

Suspended
    One other suggestion, just for headphone listening, would be to look into a headphone amplifier. Many receivers just tap off the preamp section for headphone jack. A dedicated headphone amp will have far superior sound. And, if you have expensive Sennheisers you will appreciate the difference. I have the HD-600's and drive them with the Musical Fidelity X-can. The only thing I don't know of any that include DSP. DSP could be done at the source though if listening to computer. Benchmark makes a preamp with built in Headphone amp and USB digital to analog converter. This could be an option to allow for excellent headphone listening and connect a power amp to drive some speakers. This unit is a bit expensive but when you consider you are getting a high quality DAC/headphone amp/preamp in one box it's actually a pretty good value and way to go. Ajani uses the next level down, the same unit less the preamp, to drive his AKG's and he seems to be very happy with it. This may be more than you were looking to do but I think it might be an ear opening experience for you.

I believe www.amusicdirect.com carry the Benchmark and offer a 30 return window if not happy.

Thread Information