upgrading speakers, need more umpf

I am planning on upgrading my speakers to maggies. Will probably start small but eventually end up with the MG1.6's up front and MMGW/C everywhere else. This will probably be a strain on my poor Yammie. I'd like to add an amp to drive the fronts and leave the receiver to drive the surrounds, center, rears, presents, and the partridge in the pair tree. It looks like I can get a fair deal on a Parasound HCA-1500A Stereo Power Amplifier. Has anyone had any experience with these? One of the reviews I read on this site said that theirs was always being repaired. But I also remember a reviewer saying the same for my Yammie and Yamaha has a great track record.
    I was also looking at some Adcoms but the pricing is higher for comparable power. Any others I should look at? Krell, etc?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

You don't need mega-power

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    I am planning on upgrading my speakers to maggies. Will probably start small but eventually end up with the MG1.6's up front and MMGW/C everywhere else. This will probably be a strain on my poor Yammie. I'd like to add an amp to drive the fronts and leave the receiver to drive the surrounds, center, rears, presents, and the partridge in the pair tree. It looks like I can get a fair deal on a Parasound HCA-1500A Stereo Power Amplifier. Has anyone had any experience with these? One of the reviews I read on this site said that theirs was always being repaired. But I also remember a reviewer saying the same for my Yammie and Yamaha has a great track record.
    I was also looking at some Adcoms but the pricing is higher for comparable power. Any others I should look at? Krell, etc?
    But a good amp will certainly make the maggies sing better. Current is king with maggies, look for an amp that can swing a lot of current and you can't go wrong. My Musical Fidelity A3cr although rated nominally @ 230 watts into 4 ohms, it was able to pack enough current to smoke a couple of tweeter fuses when I got a little carried away.

While I'm not familiar with the HCA series, the Parasound Halo amps are highly regarded.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Thanks Geoffcin

Thanks for the info. The Parasound HCA-1500A does say that it's 205w for 8ohm and 315 for 4 ohm and 60 amps of peak current per channel. The Adcom GFA-5400 says it's good for 200 watts at 4 ohms. It says hi amp but doesn't give a number. This Adcom is actually a little less than the Parasound. To move up to the same power in the Adcom line would end up over $1k.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Best amp i know for the 1.6 is the Pathos Acoustics Classic one or Logos. Krell sounds bloodless and bright on Maggies. YBA and Unison is good too.

-Flo
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Bloodless?

Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    Best amp i know for the 1.6 is the Pathos Acoustics Classic one or Logos. Krell sounds bloodless and bright on Maggies. YBA and Unison is good too.

-Flo

Thank, I'll check out the Pathos Acoustics Classic one and Logos. Bloodless? I don't think I've ever heard this term. Bright I know. Is bloodless brighter than bright? Kinda like whiter than white?

Well bloodless means that it has no body. Imagine a Fat mama singing her heart out in a smoky jazz bar...if that sounds like a 16 year old stick singing with no body than thats bloodless :-)

PS: I own the pathos on the second system and had it on a 1.6 and 3.6
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

ok

Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    Well bloodless means that it has no body. Imagine a Fat mama singing her heart out in a smoky jazz bar...if that sounds like a 16 year old stick singing with no body than thats bloodless :-)

PS: I own the pathos on the second system and had it on a 1.6 and 3.6
    Kinda like the brighter than bright thought. Very thin with no body. I get it.
    What an image though. "A fat mama in a smoky jazz bar." Does the place smell of hemp? Maybe insents and coffee liqueur? She walks out and starts singing. What's this? Was she breathing helium in the back room? Maybe she's lip syncing for Britney Spears?

Thread Information