Forum Regular

Question Are NAD amps any good?

I posted a message earlier about the yamaha receiver. I'm going to try swapping the left and right channels in the pre-out main in, and that'll determine if it's the amp or the pre-amp (I think). So if it's in the amp, the actual left speaker would still sound weak, but if it's the pre-amp, the right speaker would sound weak.

If it's the amp, are NAD amps any good? What do you think of the C272? I want a good overall sound. Something that'll be better than the Yamaha's amps, drive my current Polk speakers well, but be very well matched for the Definitive Tech speakers I'll eventually get. I'm new to separates, but I like the versatility and the improved sound quality. Is there any particular amp you recommend (2 channel at least 100wpc under $1000)?

Also, if the pre-amp is bad, but the amp in the Yamaha RX-V2095, what do you guys recommend? I'm pretty lost if that'd be the case.

I appreciate the help.
    Thanks!

RGA
    Forum Regular
    It is difficult to say how a particular speaker will do with a particular power amp - sometimes there can be a startling improvement and other times almost none or just plain no difference. Get them to give you the amp over a weekend to let you try it out.

Power amplifiers are the strength of NAD and the C272 I believe has been popular for many years. Power supplies in receivers are so bad that I would bet you would notice a good improvement - but speakers have a say here --- and i can't be sure - so best is to try out the stores demo model and if you like it buy it if not return it.

Forum Regular
    Sound like rec. is shot, why bother. Find an adcom dealer the gfa5400 power amp is 125wpc and lists for $600. The gfp710 Pre amp, lists for $600. Thats list ,you can negotiate at least both for $1000. I would think even less. The adcom power amps are really nice, good work horses, that sound really good. The gfa 5400 is the replacement for the gfa 545,and 545II. I own the original 545 and its a really good amp,Its 19 years old and works as good as the day I got it. I also own a Adcom gfa 555II and the same(15 yrs old). From reviews I've read Adcom has improved these amps alot (sound). The adcom pre amp is a entry level pre amp that should sound much better than a reciever. This pre amp has an on board phono section for mm or mc catridges(this could be a plus if interested in Turntables still). I also have an old adcom Pre amp very reliable and sounds good. All adcom pre amps can be switched from having tone conrols and the like or can be switched out, to be more like the pure approach of a striaght line pre amp (still not as pure).You would need to listen and see if you like them . Your ears need to be the judge, but its an idea for $1000. Adcom has no lights bells and whistles like you find on receivers today. Just what you need .Well thats it for my adcom commercial.

Forum Regular
    Hey just realized you'll need a tuner. I dont use one myself and always forget about it( I hate radio). I have an HK tuner ,I keep it in the closet though. Any way Adcom and many other have tuner pre amp combos that have become quite popular. Try some of these. Sorry I dont Know prices of these. Probably entry level out there for $500 though. If you don't like radio, forget the tuner.

The Collector
    I have used both NAD and the old Proton stuff and they are great amps. A lot of power for the money and some of the best sounding amps in their price range. i would take them over the adcoms anyday

Forum Regular
    A older NAD 214 amp is good if you can find it. Try there integrated amps too. Other good value amps to try are Audiosource one and two, Rotel 980, B&K ST140. Good value preamps try Creek 42, B&K Pro 10 or Superphon Revelation I and II.

I have a 150wpc NAD 2600A from the old monitor series. Very powerful and open amp, quite natural uncolored sound also. This is my second NAD amp, I can say they are very musical, and have a depth of soundstage and can image like the big boys. They will also usually drive ANY speaker you throw at it. However there are many great amps under $1000 so I would go encourage you to go out and audition all you can. FWIW, I also like Rotel, B&K and ATI. I don't know how efficient your speakers are but maybe you'd even wanna try a Class A or tube amplifier. Point is get out and listen and see what you like.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by pelly3s
    I have used both NAD and the old Proton stuff and they are great amps. A lot of power for the money and some of the best sounding amps in their price range. i would take them over the adcoms anyday

Proton, come on, get real, these were cheap power houses with huge power meters. (lights ,bells + whistles). These came out at the same time of the big Adcom gfa555 Stereophile magazine craze. I can't tell you about NAD though, never seen one, let alone hear one. I've read reviews and comparisons in stereophile wich weren't to favorable.

Why jerry rig a rec. to an amp, if you can replace the entire thing with a pre amp and an amp or posibly a pre amp tuner combo if you need a tuner. The adcom will out perform any reciever. Dont know of many others at comparable prices. I think theres a B+K at tweeters store for around $600 but dont know about a pre. or pre-tuner combo for same price. Ive also read some less than favorable reviews on B+K as well as Adcom too. Need to listen to these systems and decide for yourself. We need to remember the goal here is to replace or add to a rec. for $1000 or less. Another suggestion would be ebay or a stereo trading post. A solid state amp is pretty hard to kill . May be able to get some great deals on power amps of all types. In my area we have two stores that sell and trade stereo equip. I picked up a pair of $1200 speakers for $300 (2years old) mint cond.

The Collector
    Some of the older Proton receivers were the same as the NAD's for example the D-940 or the D-540. Plus I discovered it is 1 ohm stable

NAD amps are quite good, particularly when compared with others in their price class. In spite of what you might have read, I've seen mostly good things written about them in Stereophile.

Forum Regular
    NAD amps are good...period.
    manek.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Hmm, a bit of a strange flame war here..
    I find NAD and Adcom are incredibly similar in sound...some would say bright, or harsh or technically correct or whatever description you prefer. They sound different than Rotels that's for sure. I really loved my NAD 317 integrated, and 2400 amp. I've also owned an Adcom 535 and two 5400's.
    I prefer Adcom, to me they have a bit more punch or more headroom or whatever, and I've never had a problem with Adcom. Both my Nad's had issues that were fixed under warranty...but I still loved them.
    I think you couldn't go wrong with either. Both are definitely not WARM sounding like my Rotel RB-1080, but they are a bit more detailed, or neutral if you prefer...they can be fatiguing if there's lots of treble in the recording or the recording is done poorly. Warm is the last adjective I'd use for NAD or Adcom though. But that's okay, treble is good, and some warm sounding amps can lack treble.

But yeah, don't be knocking NAD. I can't imagine an Adcom sounding much different, or any better if similarly priced. I'd be surprised if Stereophile preferred on over the other or gave either a bad write-up.

A few years ago, (98 or 99 or so) Stereopile did a comparison of tha NAD 218 vs. a Rotel RB-99, both driving a pair of Maggie 1'6's. They both came out quite well but some of the observations were that the Rotel had a bit of an edge on crispness and the NAD had a slight edge on deep, low bass.

So, both came out quite well, and only a slight degree of difference was noted but, then again, this IS Stereopile and whatever they say subjectively should be taken with a grain of salt or two. They did say that if they were in the decision maker's seat, they would probably go for the NAD for those speakers.

Either would do a grand job driving those particular speakers. I went for the Rotel simply because I got hold of a well priced demo at that time. Otherwise I would have preferred to go wit hthe NAD if for no other reason than the rest of the system was NAD and had been working well for several years and was replacing a pwefectly working (but now severely underpowered for the circumstances) NAD 214.

Forum Regular

get the NAD

get the NAD 3150 and the 2150 very good amps th 3150 is 300 A whatever that means they are both 300 A i think i means amps but please dont think that im stooped im new at audio they both have switches on clipping and they both have switches for normal 8 homs and high output 8 homs the reason i say get these amps is because my dad has them hoocked up to his old SA--2 reciver and hooked up with monster cables hooked up to JBL--L112 sounds very good with foundation shaking bass and all the clarity that you would ever want i dont know if these amps are still availible but i think you could get 250 dollars for both new but its up to you.

hoped i helped

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Sweet Jebus, that was one ass kicking sentence, Jeff.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Sweet Jebus, that was one ass kicking sentence, Jeff.

He ran out of money, $$$, for a period or two.
    mtrycrafts

NAD 372 vs. Crown Amps.

Hi

I've got a NAD372 im very happy with it, looks good. sounds great. i listen to dnb and hiphop and downtempo. i use mission m34 speakers.

if would actually consider get a crown amplifier. either xls series or 402 or 404 ( i think those model numbers are correct), they will sound even better and probably be a bit cheaper, downside is that you need some kind of pre-amp or something, altho tho crowns do have a gain control which is very useful. the crowns have fans but these can be changed to quiter fans or unplugged, or you can put an inline resister in so they run quiter

AR Newbie Registered Member
    NAD amps are really ok if you want to hear a lot of detail, clarity and a nice bass.Personally I find NAD most of the time quite harsh. I prefer amps like the Rotel 1062,m with a less pure but more warm and relaxed sound. It's all a mater of taste.... If it's your taste, NAD is always good value for money.

Forum Regular
    Audition as many amps as you can or would want to, and amke up your own mind.
    When looking for opinions on a site like this one is exactly what youare going to get from most, opinions. Use these opinions as a starting point and enjoy your auditioning.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by swampcat
    Sound like rec. is shot, why bother. Find an adcom dealer the gfa5400 power amp is 125wpc and lists for $600. The gfp710 Pre amp, lists for $600. Thats list ,you can negotiate at least both for $1000. I would think even less. The adcom power amps are really nice, good work horses, that sound really good. The gfa 5400 is the replacement for the gfa 545,and 545II. I own the original 545 and its a really good amp,Its 19 years old and works as good as the day I got it. I also own a Adcom gfa 555II and the same(15 yrs old). From reviews I've read Adcom has improved these amps alot (sound). The adcom pre amp is a entry level pre amp that should sound much better than a reciever. This pre amp has an on board phono section for mm or mc catridges(this could be a plus if interested in Turntables still). I also have an old adcom Pre amp very reliable and sounds good. All adcom pre amps can be switched from having tone conrols and the like or can be switched out, to be more like the pure approach of a striaght line pre amp (still not as pure).You would need to listen and see if you like them . Your ears need to be the judge, but its an idea for $1000. Adcom has no lights bells and whistles like you find on receivers today. Just what you need .Well thats it for my adcom commercial.
    I agreed with you 100%, definitely Adcom. I have Nad 372 with my Dyna Audience 70 and now I added Adcom 555II, no question the improvement is almost 100%. Nad can not go even near to Adcom, when it is question to drive a very high power speaker.

Go for Adcom you will not regret it.

Good luck,
    bappy
    unquote

Thread Information