Forum Regular

Suggestions for 150W/Channel Ampliers

Does anyone know of companies which market 150 watt per channel, 8 ohms, ampliers?

I'm looking for 2, 4 or 8 channel *power* amplifiers (no volume/level controls, tuner or preamplifier/integrated circuitry) that fit EIA standard 19" rack mounts, 1 to 3 rack spaces high, i.e., 1.75" to 5.25" in height.

I've Google, Froogled, etc. without success. I've found several models that come close (Crown, ATI, AudioSource, Russound), but still no exact match(es) -- along with scores of totally unrelated products that invariably show up near the top of search results from retail outlets.

All suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

HorseSoldier

Forum Regular
    Im actually looking at an amp for myself that i think fits the bill. Check out Nad C272, 2ch power amp, 150w/ch, discrete.

Check this link:

http://www.nadelectronics.com/hifi_a...72_framset.htm

Wayne

Adcom, Rotel, Parasound, Bryston, NAD.

Forum Regular
    Denon,Sony..
    Pioneer VSX-AX3 Receiver
    Pioneer Dv-668 Dvd(Ecosse Composer MKII inter.)
    Infocus Screenplay 4805(AR Pro II Component)
    B&W 602 S3 Fronts(Monster THX)
    B&W CLR 60 Center
    B&W CDM-SNT Surr.
    Denon PMA-1500 MK II int. amp.
    Definitive Tech SuperCube II SW
    H/K HD970(Ecosse Composer MKII inter.)
    Marantz CD5001(AR PRO II inter.)
    Marantz PM-17MKII M
    Kef IQ3(Ecosse Cs2.3 wire)
    H/K HD970(Ecosse Composer MKII inter.)

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HorseSoldier
    Does anyone know of companies which market 150 watt per channel, 8 ohms, ampliers?

I'm looking for 2, 4 or 8 channel *power* amplifiers (no volume/level controls, tuner or preamplifier/integrated circuitry) that fit EIA standard 19" rack mounts, 1 to 3 rack spaces high, i.e., 1.75" to 5.25" in height.

I've Google, Froogled, etc. without success. I've found several models that come close (Crown, ATI, AudioSource, Russound), but still no exact match(es) -- along with scores of totally unrelated products that invariably show up near the top of search results from retail outlets.

All suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

HorseSoldier
    I can understand not wanting the other stuff but why EXACTLY 150W and no level controls ? What about 200W ? You're seriously limiting your choices by requiring no level controls AND rack mounting. Most amps for the consumer market are non-rack mount so you're further restricting your choices to pro amps. Also look at manufacturers QSC, Peavey and Gem Sound for rack mount amps, although certain models may have level controls. Good luck with your search.

Forum Regular
    I already have a Crown SL2 preamp and Yamaha DSP1 and DSR100 for surround sound. Any volume/level controls on a new power amp would seem redundant/unnecessary. So far, I've been well served by my Carver M-1.0t and SAE 200W/channel power amps, and the two Adcom 100W/channel stereo amplifiers used for surround media -- all rack mountable and without volume/level controls. 150W/channel seemed to be the happy medium, well suited for my existing speakers.

All my existing audio/video equipment -- admittedly old but still functional -- is housed in Middle Atlantic 19-inch rack cabinets which have served well for decades. They are easily placed in well ventilated closets in the various apartments I've lived in over the years. Of course, video monitors/TVs/speakers are positioned in living and other rooms.

I was really just looking/hoping to simplify entire audio amplifier setup with a bit more uniformity without spending a lot. My ideal would be a low-profile, 150W/channel, 8-channel amplifier. But after wading through scores of web sites and bs Google search results, I'm now just plain frustrated/disgusted.

I'm guessing I should be happy with what I already have. "Life on a budget..."

HorseSoldier

AR Newbie Registered Member

Marantz MM9000 150W power amp

This is a great amp and a great deal. I paid $550 on Audigon and I've seen them regularly on ebay and Audigon from $500-$750.00. Runs cool and does a great job on HT and stereo.

150 watts (into 8 ohms) x 5 channel power output
    Oversized high-capacity toroidal transformer
    Premium quality internal components
    THX Ultra® certified
    Individual input level control
    3 auto power on/off options – via DC trigger, video-sense connections, or via wireless remote control
    D-BUS remote connection
    Peak level indicators
    Heavy-duty banana plug-compatible speaker terminals
    AC convenience outlet
    Continuous power output (RMS) into 8 ohms
    (<.03% THD, 20 Hz - 20 kHz)
    Front left and right channels 150 + 150 W
    Center channel 150 W
    Surround channels 150 + 150 W
    Input sensitivity 100 mV/1 W Output
    Input impedance 20 k˝
    Frequency response (-1 dB) 5 Hz to 100 kHz
    Signal to noise ratio 95 dB
    Power requirements 120 V, 60 Hz, 400 W
    Dimensions W/H/D 17 5⁄16 ” x 6 5⁄16 ” x 7 4⁄5 ”
    Weight 44.1 lbs. 20 kg.

Forum Regular
    Look for used amps and cross-reference by reading reviews when one meets your budget. Using this concept, I eventually purchased a used B&K ST-202+ for $325.00, rated at 200x2, and it ROCKS! My budget was actually $500, but nothing at the time came close. With that said, keep an eye out for the B&K ST line of amps, great value and some are rack-mountable.

Terraform

Thread Information