it's about the music

What do you guys think about Exposure¿?

i finally found a shop that i liked, and after buying a phono preamp and a pair of these f'ucking sweet Grado SR80s that i'm currently listening too (and subsequently bringing out every imperfection in one of my well-loved records... AURGH) i am pretty certain i will end up buying my first REAL system from them. HOWEVER, one of the things i'm not soo keen about is that they seem to be quite interested in pushing exposure's stuff. Now is this because exposure is really worth it or because they just get a very juicy commission?
    has anyone had/have an exposure 2010S amp? how's the sound on these things?
    how do they fare againt the comparable rotels or nads or musical fidelitys?
    Cheers!
    I remember the days when I thought 128kbps sounded great and had never spent more than 10 bucks on cables...

It's just a hobby
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaboom
    has anyone had/have an exposure 2010S amp? how's the sound on these things?
    how do they fare againt the comparable rotels or nads or musical fidelitys?
    Cheers!
    The Exposure 2010 sounds smooth, what rotels or nads are you thinking of?

it's about the music
    well from nad and rotel i've only heard the RA01 and the 320BEE, but i do know those are a couple of steps lower in the price range than the 2010S, so i was asking about those at more or less the same price level. i do know that the musical fidelity X150 is around this level too (althought i think its butt-ugly)
    I remember the days when I thought 128kbps sounded great and had never spent more than 10 bucks on cables...

It's just a hobby
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaboom
    well from nad and rotel i've only heard the RA01 and the 320BEE, but i do know those are a couple of steps lower in the price range than the 2010S, so i was asking about those at more or less the same price level. i do know that the musical fidelity X150 is around this level too (althought i think its butt-ugly)
    I used to own a RA 971MK2 and a RB971? may moons ago as well as an Exposure 18, the Exposure definitely had a smoother top end than the Rotels but I preferred the timing or should we say musical flow of the Rotels, there was a definite difference there. I am not a fan of the NAD at all, none of the models I have heard has impresssed me, they have sounded from average to bad depending on speaker and setup, The Exposures have a smooth topend, compare its musical flow against the Rotels before deciding.
    Last edited by theaudiohobby; 04-11-2005 at 03:10 AM. Reason: grammatical corrections.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Good stuff doesn't need to be pushed -- then again they really could love the gear and can't help raving about it -- the skeptic I am I assume the former first unless something really shows me it's the latter.

Current Rotel is better than it was -- I'd buy it over Bryston or NAD or Musical Fidelity for that matter. Rotel isn't the best looking and as always all of this may be a different case depending on the other equipment -- namely the speakers. NAD always seems to be about the grunt (braun) over smoothness. Yet I still like NAD so go figure I still have the partier in me.

If you have easy to drive speakers consider a number of tube amps -- Jolida or Antique Sound Labs etc and see how they do for you...Some of these newer tubes have phenomenal grip on the bottom end even with less sensitive designs -- the AQ1003DT has a decidedly non tubey sound but a smooth treble firmly intact At $1k it's a terrific start into Tube amps -- built very well (very heavy) and has remote control and subwoofer output and looks neat to boot. Plus it is pure class A -- worth a listen anyway -- my dealer carries lots of pretty good solid State gear ------ MF, Rotel, NAD, Cambridge Audio, Arcam, Anthem, Creek, Linn, Bryston, McIntosh, Sugden, YBA/Audio Refinement, Magnum Dynalab, Naim Audio, Rega, Sim Audio, Sonic Frontiers,.

The Aq1003DT to me hangs in with anything from any of the above that I have heard - if your speakers don;t go under 3ohms and are say 86db (actual not just published) then I'd listen. The Jolida 302b has a distinctly more valve kinda sound which yu might prefer.

http://www.divertech.com/antiquesl.html#INTEGRATED

Forum Regular

Exposure.

Hi Fi Choice tends to "Oooh and Aaah" over the Exposure amplifiers and CD players. I have heard Exposure electronics on a pair of ProAc Tablette Refrence 8 Signatures and the combination sounded exceptionally good. I remember a very refined and smooth sound.

Sure the dealer pushes Exposure because he carries it. Anyone in his situation would. Audio dealers can't carry every brand and model because hi-fi manufacturers keep such a tight leash on distribution. Thus, dealers promote equipment that they sell even though it may be comparable to equipment which they aren't able to sell. I suspect that this is the case with your Exposure equipment. It is a brand with a respectable reputation, and if you like their sound they have obviously done something right. Don't let the dealer fool you into anything outrageous, but if you like what you hear in the exposure I think it is safe to go that route.

I would recommend that you go out and hear some other brands like NAD, Rotel, Music Fidelity, Rega, Music Hall, Creek, Audio Refinement, Naim, Marantz, Jolida, Linn, Adcom, and so on. In comparison, you may find that you prefer one of these brands over the Exposure. In the end you may or may not agree with the Exposure dealer about the product's performance. But, either way you shouldn't simply take his word for it.
    -Shwamdoo

Thread Information