Tubemagic D1 ordered

I just ordered the Maverick Audio Tubemagic D1 Pre/DAC with tube upgrade for my son. At first he will use it as a DAC with my old Technics SU7600 integrated amp from 1976 (its still a great amp and blows away the cheap Pioneer AVR he was using). Eventually I am going to buy him a class audio CDA-258 digital amp and he will use it as a preamp as well. I am going to upgrade the opamps in the preamp and DAC sections as have been recommended in other forums. I'll give a review on it and will try it in my main system as well.

http://www.mav-audio.com/
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    I just ordered the Maverick Audio Tubemagic D1 Pre/DAC with tube upgrade for my son. At first he will use it as a DAC with my old Technics SU7600 integrated amp from 1976 (its still a great amp and blows away the cheap Pioneer AVR he was using). Eventually I am going to buy him a class audio CDA-258 digital amp and he will use it as a preamp as well. I am going to upgrade the opamps in the preamp and DAC sections as have been recommended in other forums. I'll give a review on it and will try it in my main system as well.

Keep us posted on the sound and build....I've seen them over at audiocircle and wondered about them. Price seems right.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Sounds like the D1 has a whole lot going for it, especially at the price. Rolling tubes and opamps is fun, fairly cheap, and can result in really improvement.

Analog outputs apparently consist of "Analog Output" and "Tube Preamp Output"; are both volume controlled?

Yes, I believe that they are both volume controlled. I think there is a way to by pass the volume control if I remember correctly. The SS output according to user reviews is just ok. Its the tube side that shines especially with the tube and op amp upgrades. I think the recommended op amps are about $10 from Digikey. You can use the Burr Brown opao627's but the dual channel versions are near impossible to find.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Yes, I believe that they are both volume controlled. I think there is a way to by pass the volume control if I remember correctly. The SS output according to user reviews is just ok. Its the tube side that shines especially with the tube and op amp upgrades. I think the recommended op amps are about $10 from Digikey. You can use the Burr Brown opao627's but the dual channel versions are near impossible to find.
    Nope, HERE are some.

I would like to know if those 0627's are counterfit at that price. I guess I will have to order a pair and find out. Thanks for the tip!
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

I would like to know if those 0627's are counterfit at that price. I guess I will have to order a pair and find out. Thanks for the tip!
    Like any tube or opamp swap, it's the results that count. However given that the OPA627 is a relatively expensive opamp, counterfeiting is certainly possible.

However if you're concerned about counterfeit, you can also get stacked OPA627's from Parts ConneXion, HERE. The higher price might inspire your confidence.

If they'll fit in the Maverick, an other option is the Burson discrete transistor opamp replacement, also available from PCX, HERE.

Last edited by Feanor; 06-29-2011 at 03:03 AM.

I've looked into those stacked 0627's but they won't fit in the case. I'll see how these recommended LT1364CN8 amd LM4562NA replacement OA's sound and then consider the 0627's.

AR Newbie Registered Member samanthabg498's Avatar

Is your girl or boy looking for some of these cowboy coloring pages as well?

First of all I must say Hi there everybody

First post on that forum hopefully not the very last

I was wondering if your young children might be acting strange recently Each of the children are looking for those Rodeo Coloring Books all of the sudden and I do not know why
    I mean, there's no new cowboy or any rodeo film or a show on tv right ? So exactly what is the big deal ? Anybody had any luck tracking down some coloring books absolutely free?? All I'm able to find is just site who sells cowboy-coloring-books wikispaces com]Rodeo Coloring Pages but I mean it isn't free

Any thoughts?? The kids are craving for more
    So I found it! No more looking around... For all the other worried parents check this out: Cowboy Coloring Pages

Sounds like your son is going to get the hookup when it comes to learning and listening to descent quality audio which is something I think a lot of younger people in todays world are missing. I am a full time university student and some times will have some of my younger friends over to study and they all want to hear my system and they walk away stunned at what music can really sound like through a quality system and it makes them rethink their own system and since then I have helped several start to put together a starter system of their own.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Quote Originally Posted by harley .guy07 View Post
    Sounds like your son is going to get the hookup when it comes to learning and listening to descent quality audio which is something I think a lot of younger people in todays world are missing. I am a full time university student and some times will have some of my younger friends over to study and they all want to hear my system and they walk away stunned at what music can really sound like through a quality system and it makes them rethink their own system and since then I have helped several start to put together a starter system of their own.
    My son really started to get hooked a few months ago. He and I sit and listen to music on my system for a couple of hours a week. A few years back I bought him a cheap Pioneer AVR and multidisc sony dvd player which he rarely listened too. I recently hooked up my 35 year old technics integrated amp for him and he can't stop listening to music now. He really has a varied taste in music too. He likes all genre's except hip-hop.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

It's here!

The Maverick Tube Magic DAC/Pre arrived here from China, 1 week after I placed the order. It came well packaged and came with the tube upgrade.

It feels solid and well made except for the volume knob which seems a little cheap, but for $199 I was not expecting much. The unit has good weight to it. It has multiple inputs- optical, digital coax, usb and analog. It has tube analog out and solid state out's along with a headphone out. It also has a direct button for bypassing the volume control for when you are using it as a DAC only.

I hooked it up to a Sony DVD/SACD multi disk player and a Technic's SU-7600 integrated amp that I bought in 1976. The speakers used where Monitor Audio S1's and B&W 602's. I was pleasantly surprised when I finally got to hear it. It had good bass and depth to the music. There was some air and transparency. The high end could have used a little better detail. Mid range could have been a little smoother on vocals though. After a few hours of play time I upgraded the opamps as per recommendations from other owners. It cost me $10 for the opamps from Digikey. The upgrade really improved the sound. Bass was tightend up and had more punch, treble had more resolution but was slightly pushed back and the midrange smoothed out. There was also a bit more air.

I tried all the inputs and they work as advertised. The one minor down side is that the solid state analog out is not very good. It's harsh sounding, although I did not try it with the opamp upgrade. I don't ever plan on using the SS out. I will be hooking it up to my reference system later today and will give an update on the sound.

Over all it was well worth the money for a cheap system upgrade or if you need a usb DAC.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP