Forum Regular

Tube sound better than SS???

Hello guys,

I want to have good reasons to spend some money on tube amps. Why tube amps are better than SS??? It is real that tube sound is unique and every time I have listened to tube equipments, they sound awesome. Is there any reason for this??? I am sure until I don't left SS forever, my dream system will be a fantasy.
    Last edited by dvjorge; 01-14-2010 at 07:36 PM.

You can't really say that tube sound is better than solid state. Its a matter of personal preference. Tubes in general present a warmer sound among other things. I've heard some solid state gear that I would choose over tubes. You can also get a tube like sound with certain solid state gear or hybrid gear. You should go to a high end store and listen for your self.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    That's the problem!!! I have done that many times and every time I listen to a tube system, I have to say Wao!!!!!!!!!!. Why I can not say the same when I listen to hi -end SS ??? I am not the only one, every person in the show room agree. I can not explain how a 3k tube system kill a 20k SS system. I am not fanatic of any of them but it is a simple fact.
    Last edited by dvjorge; 01-14-2010 at 07:38 PM.

Well I have heard plenty of SS systems that would keep up with about any Tube system so I believe it is pure preference and possibly a little of the fact that every person hears a little different so maybe the warmth and sound that tubes gives is just what your perception of what is good sound and it works for you. Nothing wrong with that its just your perception and there are plenty out there.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

I really like the slam and speed of a high end SS amp. But I love the warmth and sound of tubes. I therefore use a SS amp, Hybrid tube preamp and DAC and get the best of both worlds.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    I play my bass through a tube amp, which IMO is unrivaled in areas of tone and depth. It gets a little stickier in the audio world. I have just purchased my first tube amp, a Golden Tube SE-40 and am having it refurb'd. I am hoping it will deliver the goods I am expecting. I lean on the thicker and warmer side of things...

Poppa I understand what you are saying but I play bass too and my bass head is a 700 watt SS head and I love the clean tight slam and control that the SS amp gives me. And my Cabs have 4 paper cone 10" speakers and another cab has a paper cone 15. I get my good tone with the quality of the paper cones which are the most natural sounding in my opinion. I have tried tube heads and they are just not me. That what I was saying about perception and every persons idea of good sound. You and me are both audiophiles and bass players and love good sound and have good equipment to give us that sound it is just that our perception or opinion of what is good sound is slightly different and adding to the fact that every persons hearing is different there are a lot of variables there. I guess thats why there so damn many brands of amplifiers and speakers and Bass heads and cabs around. If everyone wanted the same thing then there would only have to be one company making all of this stuff.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

Chicago IL
    Tube amps are good but the only thing that bothers me is the little bzzzzzz sound! With the SS amps you won't hear that, however the passion for tube amps will never die in me

There is not an answer here which one is better and which is not. It is just how you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    I play my bass through a tube amp, which IMO is unrivaled in areas of tone and depth. It gets a little stickier in the audio world. I have just purchased my first tube amp, a Golden Tube SE-40 and am having it refurb'd. I am hoping it will deliver the goods I am expecting. I lean on the thicker and warmer side of things...
    How's that refurb proceeding, PC?

I'm looking forward to hearing it.

Quote Originally Posted by dvjorge
    Hello guys,

I want to have good reasons to spend some money on tube amps. Why tube amps are better than SS??? It is real that tube sound is unique and every time I have listened to tube equipments, they sound awesome. Is there any reason for this??? I am sure until I don't left SS forever, my dream system will be a fantasy.
    Dunno, but I can attest that there is a world of difference among s/s amps. E.g. the several I've had in the last decade:
    1. Phase Linear 400 (w. Holman s/s preamp)
    2. NAD C270 (w. the Holman)
    3. Bel Canto eVo2i (integrated; also used with the Holman and Adcom GFP-750 s/s preamp)
    4. Adcom GFA-555II (w. Adcom GFP-750)
    5. Monarchy SM-70 Pro (w. Adcom GFP-750 and Sonic Frontiers Line 1 all-tube preamp).

On the Cool to Warm continum it was:
    Phase Linear => Bel Canto => Monarchy => NAD => Adcom, except that the the NAD had the warmest (one might say least controlled) bass.
    On the Low to High Resolution/Transparency continum it was:
    Phase Linear => NAD/Adcom (tie) => Monarchy => Bel Canto; with the Monarchy and Bel extremely close.
    On the PRaT continum, less to more:
    NAD/Phase/Adcom (not much to choose) => Bel Canto => Monarchy.
    And the overall winner: Monarchy SM-70 Pro. I don't feel much urge to swap for a tube power amp.
    Last edited by Feanor; 01-15-2010 at 11:08 AM.

There are other ways to get that tube "like" sound. I found that the Marantz SA8001/8003 SACDP's gave a near tube like sound. It's that HDAM technology, it gives a very warm sound.

Dvjorge, if you like your amp, consider getting a tube preamp, it will be the cheaper way to go. You can always upgrade the amp later.

If you don't mind the 1970's look of stereo equipment, take a look at the Van Alstine web site. Frank VA custom makes every piece of equipment and sells out of his home. It keeps the cost down and his equipment is well respected. Its high end gear at midfi prices. Also look at his refurbished trade in gear. There are some good buys. Check it weekly. Also, check out his Audiocircles forum and read what people have to say about his gear. If your interested in used tube gear, give Frank VA a call or email and he can notify you when a piece comes in. The nice thing about buying his equipment is that he is always trying to find ways to upgrade and he offers these upgrades on equipment you have bought as they come along. In fact, I'm going to be sending in my 1 yr old DAC for a voltage amplifier upgrade that just came available.

I own his Hybrid tube preamp and hybrid DAC.

www.avahifi.com
    Last edited by blackraven; 01-15-2010 at 10:27 AM.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

nightflier
    At the risk of getting slammed...

Can I interest anyone in a class-d amp?

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier

I've always wanted to hear one. I may have to hop over to the Bel Canto dealer to give it a listen.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier

My Bel Canto was really pretty good; grain-free, fine highs and extremely transparent, but not at all warm.

Forum Regular
    I was reading an Audigon thread about the right combination between ss and tube gear. Many people agree that you get better sound quality using a ss preamp with tube amp. I thought the tube preamp is more important than the amp, but now I see many people think different. Not sure what combination benefit more the sound quality.

nightflier
    ...a tube preamp, and a class-d amp should do the trick - tube sound and oodles of power. My Candela works particularly well with the Spectron - about the only way to get the tube sound with Maggies.

But I'm also a big believer in synergy, and the only way around that hurdle is home auditions. Some of the best rated gear doesn't sound all that impressive when mated incorrectly.

I believe there are a lot of different combo's that will work it all depends on the synergy between different brands and quality of units of each type. I like SS amps in my system and bass playing for the clean and tight sound but can see the soul or warmth of tube sound from being a guitar player as well and knowing the difference. But there are also combinations of components that have the potential to give you the best of both worlds. But I strongly agree with Nightflier that home auditions and experiments with different combinations are very important to see what works for you and the sound you are trying to get.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

Thread Information