Question about bi-amping.

I have one Rotel amp RBH 1080 @ 200 per.

IF I get another one, will I hear any difference bi-amping a set of two way stand monitors?

When bi-amping would I just send one set of speakers to the low frequencies on one amp and another set to the high frequencies on the other amp?

Would both amps have to be the same or could I use different brands and wattage....say one amp @200 per and another @ 125 per channel?

And would I connect the amps to each other as in a daisy chain and then one amp to the preamp?

And what about the crossovers...would they need to be disconnected?

Just thinking....

frenchmon
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Chicago IL
    I use 2 amps too but I get the signal from the equalizer! I have for 2 outputs so I just connect them there and I have stereo signal to both amps!

There are many more ways to do it.

It's best to use two of the same two-channel amps. This assures the gain of both is the same, which is a issue.

You would use one anp for each speaker. one channel to the mid/high driver and the other to the bass driver. This is called "vertical" biamping. There is also something called "horizontial" biamping but others can go into more detail on this, or there's always google.

The simplest way (but not the best*) way to split the preamp output is to use a "Y" connector to split the preamp's channel into two and feed the signal to the two inputs of the one stereo amp.

Your speakers should have two sets of input terminals joined by a jumper. To bi-amp you will need to remove the jumper and connect one side of the amp to each of the speaker input terminals.

Now, the caveats:

Removing the jumper should remove all crossover components from the circuit. This should remove the crossover, which may or may not improve the sound.

* It's best to get an active crossover to insert after the preamp and before the power amps. This will allow you to adjust the crossover frequency and relative levels to suit your needs. without that, what you're doing is called "fool's bi-amping"

So Markw I think this diagram is what you are suggesting with the active crossover?

With the active crossover, does it matter if I have one set of post on the speakers? Or would I need two sets? I'd hate to bring in my Paradigm floor standers from the HT, but they have double post.

frenchmon

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

I also assume the active crossover would have to about the same crossover point as the speakers? Can you set the active crossover?

frenchmon

To biamp speakers, they need to have two sets of input terminals joined by a jumper. If they don't, then you cannot bi-amp those speakers.

You will need to remove the jumper and connect one side of the amp to each of the speaker input terminals.

Your block diagram looks correct. Which active crossover have you chosen?

I haven't yet. Just trying to think of ways to tweak out my system for the maxium sound I can get. I'd hate to get my speakers from the Home theater. I like the Canton stand monitors better but they have single post.

What do you have in mind for an active crossover?

frenchmon

Personally, I've never found the need to bi-amp but word on the street is that Rane makes good ones. They make adjustable ones that you can kerfutz with, but you may or may not find the end results an epiphany

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    Personally, I've never found the need to bi-amp but word on the street is that Rane makes good ones. They make adjustable ones that you can kerfutz with, but you may or may not find the end results an epiphany

So you think its a bunch of over hyped BS? Give me you best opinion.

frenchmon

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon
    So you think its a bunch of over hyped BS? Give me you best opinion.

frenchmon
    For home use, I tend to think so, but there are many people who are of a different opinion.

If you've got money to burn and time to kill, it might make a worthwhile experiment to find out what your ears tell you.

I do know that we used quad-amping when I did sound for church concerts in the late 90's and it worked wonderfully but then again, we also used laser aiming and automatic equalization to accomodate 4,000 close friends

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    For home use, I tend to think so, but there are many people who are of a different opinion.

If you've got money to burn and time to kill, it might make a worthwhile experiment to find out what your ears tell you.

I do know that we used quad-amping when I did sound for church concerts in the late 90's and it worked wonderfully but then again, we also used laser aiming and automatic equalization to accomodate 4,000 close friends
    Thanks markw. While I do have time to kill, I sure don't have the money to burn.

frenchmon

Thread Information