Tube Rectifier questions

Printable View

• 05-29-2009, 11:36 AM
    Hyfi
    Tube Rectifier questions
    When would you replace a Rectifier and how would you know it needs replacement. I have a Counterpoint NPS-400 and had it repaired by a reputable custom shop and was told that they do not effect the sound and either work or don't work.

Then I go onto Mike Es Alta Vista site (original owner of Counterpoint) and he has several levels of replacement rectifiers with notes on the different sound they produce.

I'm confused, do they or don't they effect the sound? How do you know when it's time to replace them?
  • 05-29-2009, 12:16 PM
    Feanor
    Hulluva good question
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyfi
    When would you replace a Rectifier and how would you know it needs replacement. I have a Counterpoint NPS-400 and had it repaired by a reputable custom shop and was told that they do not effect the sound and either work or don't work.

Then I go onto Mike Es Alta Vista site (original owner of Counterpoint) and he has several levels of replacement rectifiers with notes on the different sound they produce.

I'm confused, do they or don't they effect the sound? How do you know when it's time to replace them?

And why should a tube vs. a sold state rectifier matter? Lots of tube amps and preamps use sold state rectification, for example, my Sonic Frontiers, Van Alstine, and most or all ARC models. On the there hand many makers swear up, down, and sideways that tube rectification will sound better. Anybody recall the theories?
  • 05-29-2009, 12:39 PM
    Hyfi
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor
    And why should a tube vs. a sold state rectifier matter? Lots of tube amps and preamps use sold state rectification, for example, my Sonic Frontiers, Van Alstine, and most or all ARC models. On the there hand many makers swear up, down, and sideways that tube rectification will sound better. Anybody recall the theories?

Not sure where the Tube vs SS question comes from. You certainly can't swap out SS rectifiers like you can with tubes, but would you want to?

I'm just puzzled that someone who does nothing but repair and customize high end tube gear would tell me not to replace them if they are working while MikeE has sound characteristics noted with each series of replacements.

Do they effect the sound or do they perform other duties within the circuit? I guess it also depends on the individual circuitry also.