Sophisticated Red Neck manlystanley's Avatar

So, I take it it was a bad idea?

A while ago on this board I wrote a message saying that I was planning on getting a Emotiva preamp to replace my dying Adcom preamp. I got back various responses that all seemed to say that it was a pretty bad idea. So, I'm thinking about plan B. My timeframe for doing this September, so I'm in no rush and have time to look around, unless some manna from heaven drops in my lap......

Anyways, following up on blackraven's advice I looked at the site: http://www.avahifi.com/index.php?opt...=72&Itemid=202

Great stuff, but, as always I don't know if I want to pay that much. But, who knows maybe my bonus this year will be big.....

Can someone tell me why an Emotiva preamp with my setup is not the best idea? That would help me understand what I should be looking for.

As always, thanks for the pointers.

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Last edited by manlystanley; 05-17-2010 at 09:46 AM.
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

Family Room: Denon avr-687, Denon CD player, Klipsch RB-5II

Suspended
    Sorry I can't help but I am just as clueless as to why a matching brand pre would not match with it's own amp. I will be following the answers to this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    Sorry I can't help but I am just as clueless as to why a matching brand pre would not match with it's own amp. I will be following the answers to this one.

Hello Hyfi,
    I think the main jest of the comments was that getting a Emotiva preamp would at best be a lateral move (with the addition of two channels that fully work). I think there point is that a tube, hybred, or even passive would provide a better sound.

BR also pointed me to a VA T& preamp for 795, but I was to late to get it.

I wanted to make sure that I understood there points. In particular, since I have warmer speakers now, would a tube preamp really add much??

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

Quote Originally Posted by manlystanley
    A while ago on this board I wrote a message saying that I was planning on getting a Emotiva preamp to replace my dying Adcom preamp. I got back various responses that all seemed to say that it was a pretty bad idea. So, I'm thinking about plan B. My timeframe for doing this September, so I'm in no rush and have time to look around, unless some manna from heaven drops in my lap......

Anyways, following up on blackraven's advice I looked at the site: http://www.avahifi.com/index.php?opt...=72&Itemid=202

Great stuff, but, as always I don't know if I want to pay that much. But, who knows maybe my bonus this year will be big.....

Can someone tell me why an Emotiva preamp with my setup is not the best idea? That would help me understand what I should be looking for.

As always, thanks for the pointers.

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Dunno, Stan, it doesn't sound like a bad idea to me. I don't recall the nature of the objections to the Emotiva preamp unless it was the "tubes are better" line of argument.

For a new preamp, the Emotiva looks like great value. That is, given Emotiva's good general reputation: I haven't head the pre myself.

Why not just do what seems good to you?

Ajani
    I don't think the Emotiva pre is a bad idea... The USP-1 has received very positive feedback from owners and the few reviews of it have been very good...

Considering Emotiva's return policy, I'd suggest just trying it and returning it if you don't like it...

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by manlystanley
    Hello Hyfi,
    I think the main jest of the comments was that getting a Emotiva preamp would at best be a lateral move (with the addition of two channels that fully work). I think there point is that a tube, hybred, or even passive would provide a better sound.

BR also pointed me to a VA T& preamp for 795, but I was to late to get it.

I wanted to make sure that I understood there points. In particular, since I have warmer speakers now, would a tube preamp really add much??

Best Regards,
    Stan
    I am a fan of tubed pre-amps. My pre has low gain, high gain, and passive. I think it sounds better in low gain than passive in my system. I guess if you go passive, it will really depend on source, amp and speakers as to how it will ultimately sound.

I have been running tube pre with SS amps for about 12 years and I like the combo a lot. My current amp is hybrid, tube in and ss out.

??

I don't know why it would be a bad idea??? Emo make pretty darn good stuff, it would be on the top of my list if I were looking for an affordable pre. I have read only positive review on it myself.
    HT system:
    Marantz SR7001 receiver
    Emotiva UPA-2 Amplifier
    Adcom GDV-870 DVD-A/CD player
    Yamaha S1800 DVD/SACD player
    Panasonic DMP-BD60K blu Ray player
    PSB Image series speakes s/s
    Dayton RSS210HF 8" reference sub
    Hitachi 46" HD projector screen

The trick to taking advice from forums like these is to know "who actually is in the know", who is full of BS and who are newbies trying to impress others with their limited knowledge.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    The trick to taking advice from forums like these is to know "who actually is in the know", who is full of BS and who are newbies trying to impress others with their limited knowledge.
    lol. You refering to anyone in particular?

Stan the thing about tubes is that you can fine tune the sound with tube rolling. I've been truly amazed at how different tubes sound. Some add air and transparency, some add bass, others add better high end or bass. Others add midrange. I've been tube rolling recently and went from 6N1P tubes to 6CG7's with various brands and found that a pair of NOS Mazda tubes placed in my DAC add depth,warmth and bass and a pair of NOS RCA clear tops in my Pre Amp add air, resolution and eveness to the sound. I have a pair of Electro Harmonix that adds tremendous air and sound stage but are too bright.

My point is that you can easily change the sound with changing tubes without having to change the preamp.

By the way Stan, AVA gear would be easy to resell as it does not last long on the used market.
    Last edited by blackraven; 05-17-2010 at 03:47 PM.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Stan...Could you point us to the preamp discussion? Something doesn't seem right. Maybe someone was misunderstood?

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    Stan...Could you point us to the preamp discussion? Something doesn't seem right. Maybe someone was misunderstood?
    Does anyone run balanced cables?

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    Thanks. It seems like the Emo preamp is a consensus good idea.

Sounds good. Everyone, thanks for your help.

Best Regards,
    Stan

Stan, check your messages.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers