Forum Regular

tube amp questions

I want to build a 2 channel system. I have limited knowledge but I know that I want tube equipment. Tube amps seem to be either single ended or push pull ( is that right? ).
    I keep reading about the amazing qualities of SET but that it limits speaker choice considerably. For a beginner which would you suggest, single ended or push pull? Speaker preferences at this point seem to be either Klipsch LaScalla II or Tannoy Turnberry HE, but I have yet to decide and I'm open to suggestions. I listen to a bit of everything except classical but as I get older its more Chet Atkins and less Led Zepplin. My room is about 450 sq ft but it is broken up into alcoves that will provide smaller listening areas. My budget for the entire system is around 12K.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag
    I want to build a 2 channel system. I have limited knowledge but I know that I want tube equipment. Tube amps seem to be either single ended or push pull ( is that right? ).
    I keep reading about the amazing qualities of SET but that it limits speaker choice considerably. For a beginner which would you suggest, single ended or push pull? Speaker preferences at this point seem to be either Klipsch LaScalla II or Tannoy Turnberry HE, but I have yet to decide and I'm open to suggestions. I listen to a bit of everything except classical but as I get older its more Chet Atkins and less Led Zepplin. My room is about 450 sq ft but it is broken up into alcoves that will provide smaller listening areas. My budget for the entire system is around 12K.

Thanks
    SET (single ended triode) is not an exclusively tube thing. There are single ended solid state amplifiers. Pas Labs has several single ended solid state amps. Classic SET's are restricted with speaker choice because they don't have very much power (10 or 12 Watts max).
    Before you buy anything you should go and listen to some speakers driven by SET's and by conventional push pull amps. If you are set on Klipsch then a SET may be all you need. Above all listen before you buy. Your budget will allow you a very wide choice of gear, so don't restrict yourself before doing a lot of listening.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Suspended
    I personally use Conrad Johnson tube gear and can give it a high recommendation. CJ has a very good performance to dollar ratio. You should also check out Audio Note or Cary for good SET. You would definitely have a wider selection of speakers to choose from going with Push Pull/Ultralinear. I have an Audio Note DAC that is incredible and he same DAC is supposed to be in their $2.5k CD player. This would be a great source.

Thread Information