Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar

Want to have separate 2 channel and HT

I got too much time to sit and think at work. Here is what I came up with, see if you guys can help me.

1. Want to move my Onkyo receiver, Anthem amp, Panasonic Blu-Ray player and Denon SACD player to make a dedicated HT system. Planning on useing my mains in both systems for now either with an AB switch or some kind of hookup.

2. Then set up a 2 channel setup on the other side of the room consisting of my Music Hall turntable with Pro-ject phono preamp, Rotel CD player, Headphone amp.

Now you see I need an amp of some type in the 2 channel setup. Would it be better to add a integrated amp (was thinking PrimaLuna or Rogue Audio) to run the 2 channel or
    leave the Anthem in the 2 channel setup and get a preamp. This would leave the Onkyo to handle all the duties in the HT setup. I'm probably overlooking something. I know a lot of you guys have two dedicated systems and this will be easy for you to figure out. But my poor head hurts.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Forum Regular
    A Niles DPS-1 allows me to have a 5.1 HT bedroom system and a two channel set up at the back of the same room by sharing just the rear speakers of the HT. I connect the AV receiver to the Niles and a high power T-amp along with the rear speakers. I can then switch between power sources ( two channel or 5.1 ) with a push of the button. The Niles is robust, will accept large gauge speaker wire and doesn't degrade the signal.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Since my Sony AV Pro is a gutless wonder, I have patched in a Marantz 1515 and Yamaha CDX-510U to my mains. The only trick is making sure NOT to run both amps simultaneously, but that's no biggy.

This is a temporary measure until I can come up with the scratch for a decent 5.1 Pro. You are looking at 2 seperate systems, which I also have. The thing is, they are in 2 seperate rooms. If it was in one room, I would integrate everything the best I could.

My feelings these days are....

...less is more.

As for your question...why would you need a pre if you were to use the Anthem? Surely the Onkyo can handle the BR and SACD units. I forget the way it's done, but some of the guys here, particularily JoeESP9 have an excellent method for system integration. I think you would only need a pre amp with some more modern abilities. Emotiva has what you would need I think.

Thanks PC. Less is also cheaper.
    I use the same speakers, electronic crossovers and power amps for the front of my MC (can't call it 5.1 no center channel) system as for 2 channel.

All 2 channel sources are connected to my preamp. For 2 channel music only the front speakers and amps (etc.) do anything. My processor can't degrade 2 channel sources because it's not used for them.

For any MC source I use my preamp in bypass mode. The front outs from my processor go straight through my preamp to the same power amps and speakers.
    Some preamps have a switch for bypass mode. My ARC SP-9 doesn't. I use one of the regular inputs with the volume control set for unity gain (I measured it with my Fluke). My processor then drives the front amps and speakers through my preamp and the rear speakers and amps directly. This way, for MC sources all control comes from the processor.

This is my "compromise" since I can afford and have space for only one good system. Technically I guess I have a 4.3 system. I don't have enough space for an ESL center. Anything else doesn't timbre match. The SPW-1 sub for my rears is actually two subs in one box. So maybe I have 4.4.

The Emotiva preamp would work very well in this kind of hookup.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Since my Sony AV Pro is a gutless wonder, I have patched in a Marantz 1515 and Yamaha CDX-510U to my mains. The only trick is making sure NOT to run both amps simultaneously, but that's no biggy.

This is a temporary measure until I can come up with the scratch for a decent 5.1 Pro. You are looking at 2 seperate systems, which I also have. The thing is, they are in 2 seperate rooms. If it was in one room, I would integrate everything the best I could.

...less is more.

As for your question...why would you need a pre if you were to use the Anthem? Surely the Onkyo can handle the BR and SACD units. I forget the way it's done, but some of the guys here, particularily JoeESP9 have an excellent method for system integration. I think you would only need a pre amp with some more modern abilities. Emotiva has what you would need I think.

Your setup looks cluttered to me, maybe you need to apply "less is more"???

...less is more.

The Anthem is only a power amp not an integrated. I still need something to process the signals from the sources right? I'm just not sure which is the best route to take, preamp or integrated.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    Your setup looks cluttered to me, maybe you need to apply "less is more"???
    Hahahaha, I didn't know what all the fuss was about, with you posting here. Is that supposed to provoke? If so you'll have to try harder. Otherwise thanks for the encouragement.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington
    The Anthem is only a power amp not an integrated. I still need something to process the signals from the sources right? I'm just not sure which is the best route to take, preamp or integrated.
    I see, I see. Is there a budget in this scenario Jackson?

I see, I see. Is there a budget in this scenario Jackson?
    I was thinking $2000, but I am always open to the used market. I was leaning heavily toward tubes in the 40 to 60 wpc range, if you think they will drive my speakers. I think Joe's idea would work if I understood it. Whew.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

Hi Jack..seeing that you have had your power amp connected to your receiver in a home theater configuration all this time....you may miss it if you buy a preamp to go with it in a two channel system. IF it where me, I would leave the Anthem in the home theater and get a very nice integrated that has out-puts to add an amp later down the road if you wanted more power. Remember...this new two channel is going to be your baby....for you only. If your family is like mine, they always have control over the home theater in our house, but the two channel is mine and no one is even interested in it. So if that sounds like your house, do it right. Build it one piece at a time if you have too. Our good friend Audiogon has some nice toys at a very good price if you watch it daily...but you should make a list of the amps you want. Building another system is fun indeed! I'm excited for you....keep us posted on what you do....and remember, pictures if you can. IF you like tubes...look in to Audio Research, Conrad Johnson, Belles, and PrimaLun and Rogue sounds good as well, but I've read a good few reports about some Rogue models being noisy....you may want to check with RGA about Rogue.....I think he has had some experience with them.

Cheers.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Joe's method is the best example of integration I know of. Again, you would need a modern preamp for that to work.

Tubes are an interesting proposition, giving you the best of both worlds. I think tubes are incredible for daily listening and reference, but SS is super fun for cranking up.

I'm kind of busy but I'll have a look at Agon.

I was thinking $2000, but I am always open to the used market. I was leaning heavily toward tubes in the 40 to 60 wpc range, if you think they will drive my speakers. I think Joe's idea would work if I understood it. Whew.
    Yes 60 watts will be plenty. I have a buddy who has a 25 watt vintage McIntosh tube amp that just awesome in a two channel configuration.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

[QUOTE=frenchmon]Hi Jack..seeing that you have had your power amp connected to your receiver in a home theater configuration all this time....you may miss it if you buy a preamp to go with it in a two channel system. IF it where me, I would leave the Anthem in the home theater and get a very nice integrated that has out-puts to add an amp later down the road if you wanted more power. Remember...this new two channel is going to be your baby....for you only. If your family is like mine, they always have control over the home theater in our house, but the two channel is mine and no one is even interested in it. So if that sounds like your house, do it right. Build it one piece at a time if you have too. Our good friend Audiogon has some nice toys at a very good price if you watch it daily...but you should make a list of the amps you want. Building another system is fun indeed! I'm excited for you....keep us posted on what you do....and remember, pictures if you can. IF you like tubes...look in to Audio Research, Conrad Johnson, Belles, and PrimaLun and Rogue sounds good as well, but I've read a good few reports about some Rogue models being noisy....you may want to check with RGA about Rogue.....I think he has had some experience with them.

Hi Frenchie,
    Thanks for the encouraging words. I see we're on the same wavelength. It would be nice if RGA would give us his thoughts on the Rogue, but he may be in the middle of an article for his column. My local shop has a Audio Research SP9 preamp that they took in trade.
    I like the looks of the PrimaLuna ProLogue Two integrated and they have it on sale for $1599. I see Poppa like the idea of SS also, what do you think of the Rotel RA 1520?
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

Jack, do you know which generation of SP9? You do realise that the ARC SP9 is a real class act, yes? Put it this way, my system goal is to have any generation of SP9 as preamp.

They really are wonderful. In good condition they still command decent scratch, around $7 - 800. The MKII can be even more. Often they have been modified which can put the price up OR down, depends. From the point of view of an analog lover, the ARC will have much to offer you. A wonderful phono stage which is also manually adjustable to accomodate MM or MC.

Anyhow, make sure you audition this wonderful piece of gear and realise that it COULD possibly be the last preamp you need.

Frenchie is the Rotel expert. I have poor knowledge in modern day SS. However, I think you have to decide what you want in terms of performance. Super huge power or maybe superb dynamics or maybe both! Krell and Bryston can give you the best of all worlds, but for a price.

There is a local seller unloading a Phase Linear 400. Ever heard of this company Jack? They actually go under alot of people's radar. Vintage, however superbly designed with both power and dynamics. Think old school Bryston....before there was Bryston.

Here's one selling on Canuck Audio Mart in mint condition. The unit local to me is not as pristine but comes with a Bozak pre for the cool price of $300.

Minty Phase Linear...http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/detai...400_series_ii/

Local PL w/ Bozak...http://london.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-se...AdIdZ216741964

Actually Jack, we could split on this if you want. I wouldn't mind having the Bozak and I could ship the amp to you. This 400 is the original with analog VU meters...cool!!

I have the Rotel RBH 1080 amp @ 200 watts per channel and the matching preamp RC 1090 and I just love them. I have all the power I need....RGA also has the RC 1070 preamp thats the same as the 1090 preamp but with treble and bass management nobs. He seems to think its a very good preamp. I also took the RC 1090 to MrPeabodys to plug into his Adcom system and he thought it was a very good preamp as well... he was impressed...gave Rotel a little love, and had a change of heart concerning Rotel.

With any audio gear you buy there is always a negative associated with it. So the knock on Rotel is that they are bright. I don't find mine bright at all could be my warm interconnects and speaker cable though.

I think my Rotel amp can use a little more bass weight, but thats no biggie as the bass is more than satisfying. I have heard the RA 1520 at the local hi fi shop but not in any extended listening. It was a rather attractive piece and what I did hear sounded good. They where driving B&W's. As far as Rotel goes, I like them. I also like Adcom which have a little more on the bass weight I mentioned.....I have an Adcom amp in my home theater. You may want to give Adcom a look as well for solid state but I don't think Adcom has ever made a integrated amp. But you may be able to get a good deal at Audiogon on a amp/preamp out-fit and add a Grant Fidelity Tube buffer to give it a little sweetness. You could also get the RA 1520 and add the GF buffer as well. Like I said...I know its your purchase, but I am excited as well. Cant wait to see your write up with what ever you choose. IF you can swing a deal on the sp9 you would be set...but it wont be cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon
    I have the Rotel RBH 1080 amp @ 200 watts per channel and the matching preamp RC 1090 and I just love them. I have all the power I need....RGA also has the RC 1070 preamp thats the same as the 1090 preamp but with treble and bass management nobs. He seems to think its a very good preamp. I also took the RC 1090 to MrPeabodys to plug into his Adcom system and he thought it was a very good preamp as well... he was impressed...gave Rotel a little love, and had a change of heart concerning Rotel.

With any audio gear you buy there is always a negative associated with it. So the knock on Rotel is that they are bright. I don't find mine bright at all could be my warm interconnects and speaker cable though.

I think my Rotel amp can use a little more bass weight, but thats no biggie as the bass is more than satisfying. I have heard the RA 1520 at the local hi fi shop but not in any extended listening. It was a rather attractive piece and what I did hear sounded good. They where driving B&W's. As far as Rotel goes, I like them. I also like Adcom which have a little more on the bass weight I mentioned.....I have an Adcom amp in my home theater. You may want to give Adcom a look as well for solid state but I don't think Adcom has ever made a integrated amp. But you may be able to get a good deal at Audiogon on a amp/preamp out-fit and add a Grant Fidelity Tube buffer to give it a little sweetness. You could also get the RA 1520 and add the GF buffer as well. Like I said...I know its your purchase, but I am excited as well. Cant wait to see your write up with what ever you choose. IF you can swing a deal on the sp9 you would be set...but it wont be cheap.

I'm going to E-Mail them and get some more info. Thanks Frenchie and Poppa
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

There is a local seller unloading a Phase Linear 400. Ever heard of this company Jack? They actually go under alot of people's radar. Vintage, however superbly designed with both power and dynamics. Think old school Bryston....before there was Bryston.

Here's one selling on Canuck Audio Mart in mint condition. The unit local to me is not as pristine but comes with a Bozak pre for the cool price of $300.

Minty Phase Linear...http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/detai...400_series_ii/

Local PL w/ Bozak...http://london.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-se...AdIdZ216741964

I owned a Phase Linear 400 for years during out my hifi hiatus ... it is a terrible sounding amplfier ... bright, harsh, opaque: avoid it like the plague. OK, maybe it doesn't sound so bad with Bozak but that isn't a typical speaker.

Jack, if you are considering tubes, you should take a look at this tube amp and hybrid tube amp from Van Alstine. They have a 30 day money back guarentee. Read some of the reviews on www.audiocircles.com under the Van Alstine column. By the way. I run a HT system and a 2ch system sharing the front speakers. I use an amp switcher from niles audio, they also make line level switchers as well. I have found no degradation in sound what so ever.

http://avahifi.com/index.php?option=...250&Itemid=235

http://avahifi.com/index.php?option=...108&Itemid=210
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

The SP-9 that Overture in Wilmington had appears to have been sold. There is a SP-9 MK3 on Audiogon.

I've had mine for 14 years. Buying an ARC SP-3 in 1981 spoiled me for anything other than a ARC preamp.

Were I to replace my SP-9 it would only be with something demonstrably better. A used SP-14 is a real temptation and reasonably (~$1100) priced. It's slightly better than a SP-9 and has more features. Everything that IMO would be a real improvement is in the +2K price range used. A lateral move which I see no point in doing could include various Conrad Johnson's or The Audible Illusions Modulus.

If I didn't own a preamp and was looking for one (new or used) I would look for one with a HT bypass switch and a remote.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    The SP-9 that Overture in Wilmington had appears to have been sold. There is a SP-9 MK3 on Audiogon.

I've had mine for 14 years. Buying an ARC SP-3 in 1981 spoiled me for anything other than a ARC preamp.

Were I to replace my SP-9 it would only be with something demonstrably better. A used SP-14 is a real temptation and reasonably (~$1100) priced. It's slightly better than a SP-9 and has more features. Everything that IMO would be a real improvement is in the +2K price range used. A lateral move which I see no point in doing could include various Conrad Johnson's or The Audible Illusions Modulus.

If I didn't own a preamp and was looking for one (new or used) I would look for one with a HT bypass switch and a remote.
    Joe I have a line on a Bozak 919. What can you tell me about it? I need to know if it really is a giant killer.

JoeE I know what you mean. You feel the same way about ARC like I feel about Canton speakers.

I had a very extensive listen to a AR LS 15 and it had so much class it was not even funny. The LS 15 was driving a McIntosh 225 tube amp. It was only 25 watts per channel. The sound that came through was like it had this sophisticated, velvety sound to it. I played a few of my own tunes that I am use to playing on my own system and the LS 15 preamp just kicked the music up about three notches. There was great detail and it seem to place each instrument in its own space, but not only its own space, but it was like each instrument was front to back...it had depth. There was this feel of sophistication. One tune I listened to that I am use to listening to on my system was Dexter Gordon's tune "Hi Fly" off of his "Gotham City" album. Art Blakey on drums and his cymbal was totally different from what I am use to hearing. It was a softer sounding cymbal with greater seperation in its own space....I was floored at how real it sounded.

I took my own speakers over for a shoot out and discovered my buddy's Acoustic Research LS 15...and the sound was coming from my own speakers. He also has a few more systems I never got a chance to listen to. He has 2 more Acoustic Research pieces of gear. A SP-6 tubed preamp and a an AR amp VT-100.

I got to get back over to MrP's house to listen to his Conrad Johnson out fit again....I think when im ready to get a new preamp, it coming down to a AR, Conrad Johnson, or a Belles tubed preamp. And the Rotel preamp will go in a second system with my Adcom amp.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon
    JoeE I know what you mean. You feel the same way about ARC like I feel about Canton speakers.

I had a very extensive listen to a AR LS 15 and it had so much class it was not even funny. The LS 15 was driving a McIntosh 225 tube amp. It was only 25 watts per channel. The sound that came through was like it had this sophisticated, velvety sound to it. I played a few of my own tunes that I am use to playing on my own system and the LS 15 preamp just kicked the music up about three notches. There was great detail and it seem to place each instrument in its own space, but not only its own space, but it was like each instrument was front to back...it had depth. There was this feel of sophistication. One tune I listened to that I am use to listening to on my system was Dexter Gordon's tune "Hi Fly" off of his "Gotham City" album. Art Blakey on drums and his cymbal was totally different from what I am use to hearing. It was a softer sounding cymbal with greater seperation in its own space....I was floored at how real it sounded.
    frenchie you asked me once regarding too much tubes in the chain. Sounds like you have heard exactly what happens... fidelity!

My humble EICO and Golden Tube rally together much better than they should. I like to think I am getting performance well out of their respective values.

frenchie you asked me once regarding too much tubes in the chain. Sounds like you have heard exactly what happens... fidelity!

My humble EICO and Golden Tube rally together much better than they should. I like to think I am getting performance well out of their respective values.
    I don't remember asking you that...are you sure you don't have me confused with another person?

They E-mailed me this morning to tell me it was a MK1. Couldn't find any info on it, so I was moving on anyway. Would have been a good deal, cause I could have driven up and picked it up in 10 minutes.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    Jack, if you are considering tubes, you should take a look at this tube amp and hybrid tube amp from Van Alstine. They have a 30 day money back guarentee. Read some of the reviews on www.audiocircles.com under the Van Alstine column. By the way. I run a HT system and a 2ch system sharing the front speakers. I use an amp switcher from niles audio, they also make line level switchers as well. I have found no degradation in sound what so ever.

http://avahifi.com/index.php?option=...250&Itemid=235

http://avahifi.com/index.php?option=...108&Itemid=210
    That sounds like it's just what I need. Niles makes a lot of really helpfull components. Not much in the used market from Van Alstine. I'll keep looking. Thanks
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System