Trends Audio Preamp

Printable View

• 09-07-2011, 10:44 AM
    blackraven
    Trends Audio Preamp
    Has any one heard the Trends Audio PA Tube preamp-

TrendsAudio - High end but not high priced audio products !

I'm thinking it may be a good match for a cheap digital amp or even the little Dayton DTA-100 amp. I might bypass the volume pot on the Dayton and use the Trends Audio preamp.

I keep thinking how a system of the Trends preamp, DTA-100 amp, Beresford 7510 DAC clone and my Monitor Audio S1's would sound.

Thanks for any info on the Preamp!
  • 09-07-2011, 01:16 PM
    Poultrygeist
    I would recommend Arjenhelder's modded MKIII preamp with the Alps volume control plus his Mean Well Power Supply which is the equal of the Trends for one third the price. Mount it in a nice wooden cigar box and you're in business.

NEW tube pre-amp MKIII 12AU7 fully assembled | eBay
  • 09-07-2011, 02:02 PM
    harley .guy07
    Poultrygeist has a point if you are interested in diy which from some of your posts in the past should tell me that you would probably like a little hands on build just to get familiar with the equipment I know when I have built speakers in the past or have worked on friends and families preamps or amps it gives me a since of knowing the component better and possibly even what could be done to make it better and also what to pair it with for the best results. I am not saying by no means that the piece you described is bad i haven't heard one but it almost seems like it is the same type of circuitry with some companies name on it and you are paying for the build, but about every component in our system is like that to a certain degree so this one is up to if you want to try the diy tube pre build or buy something ready made. The unit Pgeist posted looks to me like it is pretty much pre built with the exception of a case which you can find something to work at several electrical outlets or if you are crafty build your own.
  • 09-07-2011, 02:04 PM
    harley .guy07
    heck the more I look at it a really nice cigar box wood make the unit have a since of style to it especially at that price!!!
  • 09-07-2011, 03:39 PM
    blackraven
  • 09-07-2011, 04:25 PM
    Feanor
    And ... there are other options for the moderately DIY inclined. For example Tripath and International Rectifier modules from Connexelectronic.com

This International Rectifier IRS2092-based module, (same as used in Class D Audio SDS models)
    {EDIT} Same chip as used in SDS modules; CDA's modules appear to be a more elegant implementation {/EDIT} -- ...

http://connexelectronic.com/images/IRAudAmp7.JPG.JPG

And this Tripath TA3020-based module ...

http://connexelectronic.com/images/TA3020v3d.JPG
  • 09-08-2011, 03:51 AM
    Poultrygeist
  • 09-08-2011, 05:18 AM
    E-Stat
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    Has any one heard the Trends Audio PA Tube preamp-

Sorry, but that is NOT a "tube" preamp. Clearly, it is a hybrid. You cannot base an entire line stage upon one dual triode. I count at least six transistors in the signal path - which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

rw
  • 09-08-2011, 07:58 AM
    Feanor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blackraven View Post

The HLLY AMK-II preamp is interesting -- a remote controlled s/s preamp with four, remote-selectable inputs, plus balance control (from what they say). This is about a cheap as it gets, and potentially it could sound pretty good, (though not "tube like" presumably).

The line components per the sketchy description are an AD797 opamp and and a CS3310 volume control. Both of these are reputable components.

The AD797 is probably used as input buffer since the CS3310 likes to see a source with low output impedance.

The CS3310 is used in various high-end preamps as a volume control. It uses passive resistor arrays for attenuation -- no potentiometer. However it does have built-in output opamp amps that buffer and provide some gain.