Forum Regular

Tough Decision...Arcam Vs. NAD

Howdy,
    I am buying a new amplifier and I'm having a hard time deciding on which to buy. See, I am purchasing the Quad 12L bookshelf speakers from a dealer that also carries Arcam electronics. I heard the speakers on the Arcam A65 integrated amplifer and C73 CD player. I was impressed with the combination. However, in other auditions, I have found the NAD C320BEE, C352, and C372 integrated amplifiers and the C542 CD player to be impressive. I don't think there is any way in which I will be able to audition both the Arcam and the NAD electonics on the Quad speakers. What would you guys suggest as a way to make a decision? Any opinions as to which brand to go with?

P.S. Since I have made a final decision on the speakers (After months and months of auditioning $1000.00 bookshelf speakers.), I may purchase them and take them to the NAD dealer for an audition. However, this still wont allow me to conduct a side by side audition. I would hate to spend $700.00-$1,400.00 without making a side by side comparison.
    -Shwamdoo

Forum Regular
    For me, that choice would be easy: Arcam all the way. Regardless of power, looks, etc. I think the Arcam amp will give you better quality watts, and they are well-known for their CD players.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    I am not going to jump on the Arcam band wagon as they're later amps have left me cold - really since the Delta series Arcam just seems very overpriced.

The 320 has problems -- NAD in general is a bit more of a brute force amp maker thana smooth engaging amp --- that;s a matter of taste...you can always just buy the sepakers and then borrow the amplifiers for a home trial over a week or weekend. Personally I'd loook at Rotel which sits right in the middle and may actually sound the best. The RA 01 and RA 02 are terrific inexpensive SS integrated amps.

Also I would consider the AQ1003DT which is available in most areas and would be a terrific entry into Tube amplifiers - something Quad is noted for but their amps are pricey. http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...slaq1003dt.htm

It's just a hobby
    Quote Originally Posted by NickWH
    For me, that choice would be easy: Arcam all the way. Regardless of power, looks, etc. I think the Arcam amp will give you better quality watts, and they are well-known for their CD players.
    ditto, the Arcam.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I personally prefer most Arcam amps to most NAD amps at the present time...though if your speakers are dreadfully inefficient, or present large impedence swings or low resistance loads, you might trade sound quality for beefiness with a larger NAD.
    Any reason why you're limiting yourself to these two brands?

Forum Regular
    I ended up making my decision to go with the Arcam integrated amplifier a little over a month ago. I found a way to compare the NAD and the Arcam side by side and the Arcam was obviously superior, to me that is. I did not limit my search to NAD and Arcam by any means. I heard over 15 different brands and probably near 30 models of integrated amplifiers. After I considered my budget and needs I decided that NAD, Arcam, and Jolida were the best fits for me. I crossed Jolida off the list because it was slightly more expensive and I don't have a dealer nearby. I simply wanted to hear other's opinions on NAD and Arcam because, when I made the post, I didn't thing I would be able to do a side by side comparison. I was already leaning twords the Arcam I just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the advice, I am thuroughly impressed with the Arcam.
    -Shwamdoo

AR Newbie Registered Member

The Arcam products are awesome!

I just purchased the Arcam A80 and CD73 for a second system. I'm very impressed. I'm using Totem Arro loudspeakers, and they're a good match with the A80's conservative 65W/ch output. If you decide on Arcam, I'd recommend going for the A80 over the A65. It has a lot more flexibility, including the ability to do A, B, or A+B speaker switching. The A65 will only allow you to switch in a second pair of speakers, which is probably not advisable if you have low impedance speakers. The A80 essentially has all the bells and whistles of the flagship A90, at $600 less, and not much compormise on output power. I like the features like selectable max On volume for each input and graceful power-up. I've had experience with both NAD and Arcam. IMHO, the Arcam products are superior.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
    TheStereoman

Thread Information