Forum Regular

will reciever get upset about 7.1 setup with lrg spkrs?

I have a yamaha htr5760/rxv650 rated at 95watts x 7. I want to put 4 cerwins (v-series, 8 ohm, 12" woofer, 5.5 inch midrange, 1.25 inch tweeter) on (2 on)front and (2 on)surround, and put 2 wharfedales(8 ohm, 8 inch woofer, 1 inch tweeter) on back surrounds, and a cerwin centre(2-5 inch midwoofers and a 1.5 inch tweeter) on centre channel. Is there any way to adjust the amp to lessen the load? Should I get bookshelves to replace the rears? or will the reciever handle the load? Should I keep the volume down? Would a rxv1500 or rxv2500 be able to handle the load better?

Quote Originally Posted by mr. budget
    I have a yamaha htr5760/rxv650 rated at 95watts x 7. I want to put 4 cerwins (v-series, 8 ohm, 12" woofer, 5.5 inch midrange, 1.25 inch tweeter) on (2 on)front and (2 on)surround, and put 2 wharfedales(8 ohm, 8 inch woofer, 1 inch tweeter) on back surrounds, and a cerwin centre(2-5 inch midwoofers and a 1.5 inch tweeter) on centre channel. Is there any way to adjust the amp to lessen the load? Should I get bookshelves to replace the rears? or will the reciever handle the load? Should I keep the volume down? Would a rxv1500 or rxv2500 be able to handle the load better?
    Not familiar with those exact speakers, but theoretically, a better amp, or more powerful amp would be able to drive fuller range speaker much easier than the 650. Are you getting distortion? Have you tried these speakers out on the 650 yet? One consideration, as per your other, self-reflective post, would be to get a two channel amp for the front mains. Even a cheap Rotel amp can be had for $400. Again, that would theoretically relieve the receiver's amp load. You could get bookshelves for the rears if you think that floorstanders would be overkill.

Forum Regular
    I hooked it all up...not a problem, especially with the noise rule here at the apt. The only thing to watch would be 7-channel stereo at volume for a while. The pl2x music and other settings, the amps acting as if it's the normal load, the cerwins I have are very efficient, so I just wasted more space here with my nervous questions. No Problem. I don't know why I even want 7 channels, just I guess more is sometimes better so it's that sometimes that I want more and that's sometimes better?

Quote Originally Posted by mr. budget
    I hooked it all up...not a problem, especially with the noise rule here at the apt. The only thing to watch would be 7-channel stereo at volume for a while. The pl2x music and other settings, the amps acting as if it's the normal load, the cerwins I have are very efficient, so I just wasted more space here with my nervous questions. No Problem. I don't know why I even want 7 channels, just I guess more is sometimes better so it's that sometimes that I want more and that's sometimes better?
    Cool. Enjoy.

What I've heard from others on this board is that if one has the proper spacing and room, 7-channel kicks ass, albeit there are no movies or DVD-As with 7-channel discrete encoding.

Forum Regular
    Thanks Pual, actually I noticed it heating up a bit on prlgc2xmusic so I'll have to watch it. My old sony, I used to leave that thing on at high volumes all day and all night with the 4 big vegas hooked up so I don't think this one's going to really have a problem, I guess I'll just limit it and moderate it. Anyways, I'll let you know how this situation evolves.

Thread Information