Forum Regular

Tone Defeat......

I have had 2 receivers over the past 10 years or so that have had pure direct/cd direct (on a Yamaha) and a tone defeat button on my current NAD. I've heard the argument that tone defeat/tone bypassing maintains signal purity. Couldn't you get the same results by just setting your tone controls at "0"? I know it's clearly a personal preference, but do you folks prefer tone controls or tone defeat?

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Yes and no...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark111867
    I have had 2 receivers over the past 10 years or so that have had pure direct/cd direct (on a Yamaha) and a tone defeat button on my current NAD. I've heard the argument that tone defeat/tone bypassing maintains signal purity. Couldn't you get the same results by just setting your tone controls at "0"? I know it's clearly a personal preference, but do you folks prefer tone controls or tone defeat?
    ...you would need to see the schematic to see how the defeat is accomplished in each case. Generally speaking. tone defeat and setting the controls to neutral are pretty much the same, whereas pure direct does an end-run or bypass of all the tone control, and in some case balance control circuitry. There are some cases where eliminating that associated circuitry can provide a signal that may be cleaner or have more impact, but IMHO the difference is really minimal, to the point where I ask the question "am I hearing a diff or am I just paying closer attention in order to hear the difference?"...

I am one of those who actually uses tone controls, due to the fact that all sources are not created equal and use of the tone defeat gives you a very definite A/B POV with which to judge the results. They also can be helpful and much more precise than "loudness" controls when listening at lower levels.

jimHJJ(...now, aren't you sorry you asked?...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    ...you would need to see the schematic to see how the defeat is accomplished in each case. Generally speaking. tone defeat and setting the controls to neutral are pretty much the same, whereas pure direct does an end-run or bypass of all the tone control, and in some case balance control circuitry. There are some cases where eliminating that associated circuitry can provide a signal that may be cleaner or have more impact, but IMHO the difference is really minimal, to the point where I ask the question "am I hearing a diff or am I just paying closer attention in order to hear the difference?"...

I am one of those who actually uses tone controls, due to the fact that all sources are not created equal and use of the tone defeat gives you a very definite A/B POV with which to judge the results. They also can be helpful and much more precise than "loudness" controls when listening at lower levels.

jimHJJ(...now, aren't you sorry you asked?...)
    Seems like a reasonable, non-sarcastic response. Are you feeling ok today? Or maybe my sarcasm detector is broken.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Well...

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Seems like a reasonable, non-sarcastic response. Are you feeling ok today? Or maybe my sarcasm detector is broken.
    ...I'm not always a sarcastic SOB...I save that for special cases like those affluent, upstate-types with their pot-luck dinners, Gold Bond powders and animal husbandry...

jimHJJ(...see...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    ...I'm not always a sarcastic SOB...I save that for special cases like those affluent, upstate-types with their pot-luck dinners, Gold Bond powders and animal husbandry...

jimHJJ(...see...)
    I guess that 2 out of 3 aint bad.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Or maybe my sarcasm detector is broken.
    Oh, yeah. Sure. Right.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

mhm...of course

Forum Regular
    Resident Loser- Thanks for your response. Have a good day.

Thread Information