Integrated Amp: Krell KAV-400xi
    CD Player: Naim CD5i
    Network Music Player: Squeezebox 3
    Interconnects: QED Qunex 1
    Cabling: QED Silver Anniversary XT
    Shelving: Quadraspire Q4
    Universal Remote: Logitech Harmony 880
    TV: Sharp Aquos LC-37D62U

From the very first day I heard these speakers they were paired with Naim separates. I was absolutely blown away by what I was hearing. However, the system connected was a Naim CDX2, NAC 282 Preamp, NAP 250 Poweramp and a Hi-Cap power supply (total $20,000). Of course this exceeds my budget by a huge margin.

So my thoughts are to build slowly. I already have the Naim CD5i. As far as I can tell, to build an entry Naim system I'd be looking at a NAC 122x Preamp, NAP 150x Poweramp and a Flat-Cap 2x power supply. This would come to around $4,000, less the trade-in of my Krell integrated.

My question here is.. would this be worth the upgrade? Or am I taking a step back from the Krell? Eventually I would like to build up to a 202/200, but this may be years away. What is the general consensus on this forum towards Naim?

I would focus on the 'end' result as to what you truly want to have. Sometimes you have to upgrade in baby steps, but if you can do it in large leaps over a longer period of time than I think you will find yourself getting to the end much quicker and in a more satisfying way.

Don't be too rash

Quote Originally Posted by elapsed
    With lots of help from this forum, here's where my system now stands:

From the very first day I heard these speakers they were paired with Naim separates. I was absolutely blown away by what I was hearing.
    My question here is.. would this be worth the upgrade? Or am I taking a step back from the Krell? Eventually I would like to build up to a 202/200, but this may be years away. What is the general consensus on this forum towards Naim?
    It's been a long time since I've been swept away by a dealer's shop demo system. I've learned you can only really tell what's good by trying it in your own system at home.

What chance that the dealer will lend you some of the Naim components to set up at home for a few hours? (Maybe you'll have buy them with a no-penalty return privilege.) I'd start with the Naim pre + power, or just the power driven by the 'outs' on your Krell. Like what you hear? Then maybe get the Naim power amp; otherwise forget the whole deal.
    Last edited by Feanor; 06-19-2007 at 06:18 AM.

nightflier
    Elapsed,

Have you thought about replacing the speakers & sub? While I'm sure the FAs are great speakers, something bigger, grander, might be the next best upgrade. Maybe something full-range that can compete w/o the sub?

Suspended
    In my opinion Naim is on par with Krell. You have 2 good suggestions already. I wouldn't make up my mind unless I could audition the Naim pre and power in your home. If it strikes you as being worth the expense, go for it. But for $4k, I'd have to hear a significant improvement.

I'm not familiar with your speakers but it is something you could certainly explore. Krell and Dynaudio match well. You might find a full range speaker gives a flatter response. Subs can be tricky to blend.

Thread Information