Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Thoughts on old school versus new amps?

Suspended
    Monoblocks are one channel per chassis so they each have their own power supply which is an advantage. Some say monoblocks provide better channel separation and less crosstalk type distortions. On the other hand two chassis are more expensive, two chassis, two power supplies, which is the heart of any good amplifier. And as mentioned in a prior post the monoblocks are typically the top of the line.

Forum Regular
    yes I noticed the weight of those and then the uot put doesn't make sense

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    The Parasound HCA-1201A's minimal, no-frills chassis could account for its light weight, as could the possibility of it being a balanced-bridged design, like the Adcom GFA-1/GFA-1A, Soundcraftsmen PCR-800, PM-840, etc., models which deliver output in the 200 watt per channel range, in a package barely over 20lbs. In a balanced-bridged design, each channel is really two smaller stereo amps run in bridged mode.

HCA-1201A inside view:
    Thoughts on old school versus new amps?-hca1201a.jpg
    Last edited by Glen B; 01-14-2014 at 01:30 AM.
    Feanor likes this.

I would think that the Adcom 5500 series would be a better amp than the Parasound HCA in my opinion. I heard a HCA years ago when I sold audio and a guy traded one in for a big Adcom and to me the Adcom seemed to have better bass and overall a warmer more musical presentation. Now the Parasound Halo is a whole other story as they are on a different level. But you are not going to find a Parasound Halo for the few hundred dollars that you can find a used Adcom 5500 these days.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Suspended
    Per the link supplied by Blackraven to the 1201 it doesn't sound like a bridged design. The basic specs look similar to my 750.

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Per the link supplied by Blackraven to the 1201 it doesn't sound like a bridged design. The basic specs look similar to my 750.
    I agree. Transformer just large enough to do the job, modest sized caps, lightweight chassis, no frills, all can save on weight considerably. I was commenting mostly for John's benefit, that it is not impossioble to have high class AB power in an exceptionally lightweight package.

Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    would I be able to bridge these mono blocks with another power amp and run 2 sets of speakers 1 off the 2 mono blocks and one off say the other amp is this possible ?

Suspended
    I don't think you mean "bridge". To bridge is an option on certain stereo amps to switch them to mono. A monoblock is already mono.

You can run a set of speakers from the monoblocks then another set of speakers from another amp. To do this your preamp would need two outputs or you'd have to use a Y adapter from the preamp with one leg of each Y to the stereo amp with the other legs going to the monoblocks. However, I wouldn't recommend this if both sets of speakers were in the same room, just because one amp may have more gain or one set of speakers more efficient which would make it difficult to blend or you may not even hear one pair. That's not even taking into consideration the frequency doubling and canceling you'd experience.

Forum Regular
    I have 1k to 1500 to blow on a amp and then I would need a pre amp

im looking at those parasound mono blocks and a adcom 200 watt pc and a legacy amp made by coda and a emotiva give me some thoughts ?

what would also be a good pre amp for around 300 bucks used?

Suspended
    Hands down get the Coda if it's in your budget. Some of the guys who worked at Threshold with Nelson Pass started Coda. This preamp would be way better than Emotiva or anything else you could find at $300.00.

The 1201's or Adcom depends on your taste. The Parasound will be clear, extended highs, I'd say with highs being prominent, there would be bass but it wouldn't call attention to itself. The Adcom will have a strong robust bass, lean to the warmer side by comparison, won't seem as open and airy as the Parasound.

As a side note Nelson Pass designed the early Adcom amps, later generations received some deviations from those original amps but still are basically similar. So the Coda and Adcom should have good synergy. If you don't like big bass you may want to go with the 1201's to balance the sound more. I've heard one of the higher end Coda preamps, so one of those with an Adcom amp will definitely provide some bottom end. So if you only need one preamp I strongly recommend the Coda. If you want a preamp in addition to the Coda at $300.00 pick up an Adcom. In another system I use an Emotiva USP-1 opposed to an Adcom but it's for the crossover features.

Forum Regular
    well the fellow wants 900.00 for the coda versus 400.00 for the adcom versus 250,00 for the parasound versus 750.00 for the emotiva 80 pound big arse amp at 300wpc my listening style is I like rush pink Floyd beatles stones some jazz classical some folk sometimes like it loud sometimes not but want great sound at low volume levels what do you think is the best buy ? bang for the buck?
    Last edited by john03; 01-16-2014 at 07:04 PM.

Suspended
    I think I misread your post, I thought the Coda was a preamp. The Coda amp would be worth the extra money, overall sound would be in another league over the other 3. Next it would be hard to beat the Emo on power but I find them void of timbre, sort of like a black & white picture versus color. If not really wanting to invest in the Coda, I'd buy the Adcom and look for an Adcom preamp, the package would have you probably under $700 unless you got lucky enough to snag a gfp-750 preamp. The Adcom are really hard to beat as cheap as they come used, it's odd because they really perform well. The Coda would be an amp you could hang onto and build your system around. What model number of Legacy and Adcom?

Forum Regular
    Adcom GFA-555 II legacy coda la96 how much better is the coda over the adcom is the extra money worth it ??

If you have up to $1500 to spend, I would give a listen to a brand spanking new Peach Tree Nova 125 integrated hybrid tube digital amp and DAC. It has 220wpc at 4 ohms, a state of the art Sabre DAC along with fantastic reviews. There is a guy on the audiocircles forums that has a pair of Magnepan 3.6's that bought one and sold his high dollar mono block amps.

Here are some great reviews-

Peachtree Audio Nova125 Integrated Amp/DAC/ Headphone Amp | The Absolute Sound

Peachtree Audio nova125 Integrated Amplifier ? Reviews | TONEAudio MAGAZINE

6moons audio reviews: 3 integrated amplifiers for Magnepan's MMG

I have heard the $5000pr digital NuForce model 9se monoblocks with a pair of PSB Synchrony's and they sound like they were made for each other. I think that your T6's would sound great with the Peachtree. I have a pair of PSB B6's that sounds great with a Class D Audio CDA 254 digital amp and a Grant Fidelity DAC-11/Preamp/tube buffer.

Audio Advisor sells the Nova 125 and they have a 30 day money back policy. I think that the Nova will sound better than any thing you will buy used for your money.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    If you got an integrated it has pre and power sections in one chassis. Coda make good amps, a step above the other 3, however, I couldn't find much on the la96 for info, I did see one for sale at an audio shop listing for $899.00 so if you buy it get it for less than $900.00. I wish I could see how old it is. The 555ii delivers the power it says it will and solid bass, good R&R amp.

Here's an integrated that is far superior, I've owned a couple Krell and JohnMichael owns Krell, described as brute force in a velvet glove
    Krell KAV-400xi Integrated Amp -- Very nice!! | Solid state | Oak Ridge, North Carolina 27310 | AudiogoN - The High-end Audio Community

Really it depends on what you want, things like Krell are high end and pretty far beyond your Onkyo. If you want a decent system to rock and not blow the budget the Adcom gear would make you happy. Also, the Emotiva is worth a consideration but I'd buy new and you could get a lot for $1k. They allow you to return it in 30 days if not happy so there's no risk like buying used without hearing it.

Forum Regular
    that coda for 899 is the one I was talking about I contacted coda they sent me info on a model that's similar but they claim that model is ten yrs old

the emotiva according the the fella selling it still have 4 yrs left on the warranty

but its a beast 80 pounds in weight and will not fit in my new stereo rack lol 24x23 inches I am selling my hk3490 I do not even want to use it as a pre amp in fact I have it up for sale on ebay and audiogon

Forum Regular
    ok thinking I am narrowing down on power amps now now to pre amps adcom could be one but what about emotiva pre amps is there anything I need to consider? I mean I can of course mix and match right?

Suspended
    Which amp are you considering? Ten years isn't much on an amp, the Coda would be the best sounding and provide good bass as well, it would be my pick out of what you listed without hesitation. In order to get your money's worth from the Coda I would recommend finding a decent preamp to match.

You can mix brands, I feel you get better synergy from same brands as the designer usually build them to work together but as everything in audio it's debatable and people have example of mixed brands working fine. In fact, I mixed a CJ and Threshold piece at one point and I'm not sure if I could have found anything same brand or not to mix better. I guess what I'm saying is same brands is a safe bet for synergy where mixing could be hit and miss. Despite what you hear components do sound different so some times a mix may compliment and other times not.

I would ask why the guy wants to sell the Emo so soon after purchase. Check their website as well to compare new versus the used, sometimes being able to return is worth some extra bucks not to be stuck with something you don't like.

If you pick the Coda maybe check to see if any Coda preamps can be found you could afford. Look on Audiogon. If not, look for a Threshold. If remote control is not an issue older Conrad Johnson preamps are pretty cheap and may work well, the only thing here the older CJ gear is on the warmer side of things and not maybe the best for dynamic Rock.

Integrated amps may not be something you'd want to write off as it would be the whole package. That Krell is a beast despite the size, the sound is very dynamic and Krell has the best transient response I've heard to date, as well as a ton of detail, you'll be discovering your music collection all over again. It would be a great amp for Rock.

Suspended
    Another strong consideration for the Krell is it has a Class A preamp section and you wouldn't be able to afford anything of that level separately. The Krell's power amp section will have a bit different sound over the Coda but in my opinion it would even be better. Do a bit o research on Krell they build some of the best amps out there. You'll have seemingly endless power with no distortion. You'd likely hang onto it for a long time and end up wanting to upgrade your sources. The bass is strong and rock solid but it has a lot of control so it isn't fat or flabby. Any way just a thought and a way to get both high end preamp and power amp though in one chassis. Also eliminates what cables to use etc.

Forum Regular
    well my 2 choices are boiled down to this right now the coda and the adcom

how much of a difference between the 2 amps now would it be night and day?
    or just simply a lil bit do you think I really do not know much about all this im learning as I go with you guys and many thanks for that?
    and would a emotiva pre amp be fine for either one of these?

Suspended
    The Coda is a better amp, I can't say whether you'd notice night and day, much of that is subjective. The Emo preamp would be an alright match with the Adcom and actually it sounds alright with my Threshold but if it was my main system I'd want a better preamp with the Coda. But the Emo would do fine until you had the money or found something to replace it if you had that desire.

The Coda would be more clear on detail in the midrange and probably at higher volume levels, both would have nice bottom end, Coda would have a sweeter high end.

Forum Regular
    well I found a coda pre amp for 1100.00 but I would need a phono pre amp because the coda doesn't have phono analog

Suspended
    If you just wanted separates I can understand that but that's what I was saying about the Krell, you'd get IMO an even better amp and an excellent preamp for around $1500.00, you can try offering less to see if they would take it. Or, if not wanting to go that high the Emo/Adcom would make a nice set up that would rock. If you buy a USP-1 opt for the metal remote, the plastic one is pretty much junk.

Forum Regular
    ok if I went with the adcom would the emo pre amp be better than the adcom pre amp???????

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information