Forum Regular

Post Technical question..

The amplifier has more fatigue in amplifyng low powered output from sources?

Example: if I have a soundcard that has high output wattage, mine amplifier will distort less if I want it to sound loud?
    On numbers: A. 2W (source) * 20 W (amplifier), B. 1W (source) * 40 W (amplifier). Whch of these two will distort and/or clip less?

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuro
    The amplifier has more fatigue in amplifyng low powered output from sources?

Example: if I have a soundcard that has high output wattage, mine amplifier will distort less if I want it to sound loud?
    On numbers: A. 2W (source) * 20 W (amplifier), B. 1W (source) * 40 W (amplifier). Whch of these two will distort and/or clip less?
    The concept you need to understand is called input sensitivity. Every amplifier, integrated amp, or preamp has a stated threshold of voltage (not watts) required for it to produce its rated output. Providing more than the input allows will cause overload and gross distortion. Providing not enough will increase the noise level. It is all about proper matching.

Overdriving a small amplifier will just give you a highly distorted small output, not more power.

rw

Forum Regular
    Uhm... I change volume with mine soundcard and I didn't noticed distorsions, just more loud sound.

Thread Information