Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    Yeah, how are you going to demo these speakers?
    Hyfi, we checked out the B&W CM-7s and compared them to the Studio 60s last night. The shop was using a Rotel integrated amp and Rotel CD player. I don't know what models.

We've chosen the Studio 60's. The B&Ws sounded great loud, but really sounded flat at lower volumes. The Paradigms sounded great at all volumes. Since we don't always have the volume turned up loud, the Paradigm's are the better speakers for our use.

We've tested several different brands and models and we keep coming back to the Studio 60s. At this point we just can't imagine finding a speaker in our price range that we're going to like better, so we're going to go order the Studio 60s this afternoon.

We just have to decide on colour.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Hyfi, we checked out the B&W CM-7s and compared them to the Studio 60s last night. The shop was using a Rotel integrated amp and Rotel CD player. I don't know what models.

We've chosen the Studio 60's. The B&Ws sounded great loud, but really sounded flat at lower volumes. The Paradigms sounded great at all volumes. Since we don't always have the volume turned up loud, the Paradigm's are the better speakers for our use.

We've tested several different brands and models and we keep coming back to the Studio 60s. At this point we just can't imagine finding a speaker in our price range that we're going to like better, so we're going to go order the Studio 60s this afternoon.

We just have to decide on colour.
    I'm sure you'll be happy rocking out with those bad boys.

Make sure you get your dealer to throw in enough speaker wire for you - at least 16 gauge, and preferably 14 or even 12 gauge. But check your receiver manual to see what size speaker wire it can accommodate.

The speakers are a done deal! Wooohooooo! A set of Paradigm Studio 60s in Rosenut finish are on order and should arrive on Wednesday. I'm very excited! The dealer recommended 8 strand speaker wire with a combined gauge of 13. They will set up our wire with the banana clips on one side and just the wire put together on the other since our receiver has spring clips. I couldn't find the maximum wire size for our receiver in the manual or on the specs, but the sales guy told me to trust him that it will fit. So, I'm trusting him.

I couldn't get him to throw in the wire, but he was $100 cheaper on the speakers than anywhere else we priced. So if the other guys were going to throw in the wire (and I don't know if they were), they were taking it out of that extra $100.

This is the beginning of a very expensive friendship.

Suspended
    Congrads, enjoy the music.

The speakers are a done deal! Wooohooooo! A set of Paradigm Studio 60s in Rosenut finish are on order and should arrive on Wednesday. I'm very excited! The dealer recommended 8 strand speaker wire with a combined gauge of 13. They will set up our wire with the banana clips on one side and just the wire put together on the other since our receiver has spring clips. I couldn't find the maximum wire size for our receiver in the manual or on the specs, but the sales guy told me to trust him that it will fit. So, I'm trusting him.

I couldn't get him to throw in the wire, but he was $100 cheaper on the speakers than anywhere else we priced. So if the other guys were going to throw in the wire (and I don't know if they were), they were taking it out of that extra $100.

This is the beginning of a very expensive friendship.
    Hey cool, my Studio 40's are the same colour.
    Next up, a kick-ass amp! You must be the coolest wife in the world. Mine doesn't give a rat's ass about stereo gear and would never take as much interest in shopping as you did. She criticizes my speakers ideas, or when I use a stain she doesn't like, or pick ugly drivers but other than that, doesn't get involved. At least she doesn't use her wifely veto powers. Oh, but she loves blaring Ben Folds or Supertramp at obscene levels (which she wouldn't be able to do with those cute little cube speakers she sees in magazines).

Anyway, you have a very nice set of speakers that will keep you happy for years. I've had mine around 5 years or so, they still look new. FYI, when you're ready to upgrade in several years, you will have no trouble selling them for a good buck 2nd hand.

Enjoy your new toys.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    You must be the coolest wife in the world.
    Well, I like to think so.

When it comes to audio, I'm the instigator. Hubby goes along for the ride because he's a pretty cool husband and he enjoys reaping the benefits. But all of our a/v equipment and 90% of our CD collection is stuff that I've purchased.

He's actually had the nerve to tell me I should sell off some of our CDs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kex
    FYI, when you're ready to upgrade in several years, you will have no trouble selling them for a good buck 2nd hand.
    Upgrade???? That might be when Hubby starts to use his veto powers. Honestly, I'm not sure that our room is big enough for an upgrade.

Honestly, I'm not sure that our room is big enough for an upgrade.
    You heard it here folks. Apparently, size does matter.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Suspended
    Kex, my wife is the same way, except she don't even mess with the system. What's maddening is she might like a song one day and down the road I'll put it on and she won't like it. I am lucky though she let's me pretty much do what I want with the audio and music. The only time she really vetoed anything was when I was intent on purchasing a pair of Electro-Voice 15" 2-way road monitors for speakers, the type with the carpeted cabinet. It seems that just wasn't proper living room decor. Today she probably wouldn't mind as the audio and music has been relegated to the lower level, which was mutually fine with me. But back then we just had one level, one living room and she just didn't seem to feel concert speakers belonged there. I'll never understand why but I guess it's a girl thing What do ya think FA, if the room was larger would you go for a couple concert monitors? The ones with the 15" woofer and horn for mids & highs, nice carpet cabinet. No jokes aside these things sounded great. Better than anything we had in the store at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    What do ya think FA, if the room was larger would you go for a couple concert monitors? The ones with the 15" woofer and horn for mids & highs, nice carpet cabinet. No jokes aside these things sounded great. Better than anything we had in the store at that time.
    I don't know, those carpet cabinets sound like something you'd find in the back of a van with a sign on the window saying, if this van is rockin' then don't come knockin'.

I don't know, those carpet cabinets sound like something you'd find in the back of a van with a sign on the window saying, if this van is rockin' then don't come knockin'.
    Ha ha..I built a pair of high end, 2 way towers for my first speaker project several years ago. They are still the main speakers in my stereo rig down in the spare room I call my studio. My wife hates them. I guess "rental car gray" isn't an attractive color. Keep meaning to refinish those.

My wife only vetoed one HT thing ever. When we built our house last fall I made a dedicated HT room. My plan was to build an Infinite Baffle subwoofer array. If you don't know, this is where you sink the subwoofer into the wall rather than put them in speaker boxes. Unfortunately she won't let me cut four 18-inch circles into the front wall.

Yet.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    My wife only vetoed one HT thing ever. When we built our house last fall I made a dedicated HT room. My plan was to build an Infinite Baffle subwoofer array. If you don't know, this is where you sink the subwoofer into the wall rather than put them in speaker boxes. Unfortunately she won't let me cut four 18-inch circles into the front wall.

Yet.
    Ah, it's only drywall. Tell her to lighten up.

Tyler Pro Dynamics

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Kex, my wife is the same way, except she don't even mess with the system. What's maddening is she might like a song one day and down the road I'll put it on and she won't like it. I am lucky though she let's me pretty much do what I want with the audio and music. The only time she really vetoed anything was when I was intent on purchasing a pair of Electro-Voice 15" 2-way road monitors for speakers, the type with the carpeted cabinet. ....
    No need for carpeted cabinets. How about these Tyler Accoustic Pro Dynamic models?? These PD15's look pretty sweet and you can order optional matching grills from Tyler.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Feanor; 07-27-2009 at 05:22 AM.

Suspended
    Four 18"'s, I'd like to hear that. I wonder what those infinite baffle sound like throughout the rest of the house.

I don't have room now for something like the Tyler, and they'd have to sound good enough to unseat my Dyn's. If I had another room for 2-channel it could be worth looking into because I'm sure my tube amps would appreciate a more efficient speaker and I might enjoy the extra SPL's.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information