Forum Regular

Anyone hear of these stereo amplifiers?

I'm looking for some good stereo integrate receiver at around $500.00 an no more then $1000.00 Some one recommended these to my but I never heard of them.
    Comments, please.

1. hyperion (Studio Accoustics www.hyperionsound.com base in walnut)
    2. Electrocompaniet
    3. Musical Fidelity
    4. Jeff Rowland
    5. PRIME

There high end manufactures. I have heard Musical Fidelity, and Jeff Rowland and I have heard the other two names but not the equipment. I would think there all out of your range though. Possibly some older Musical Fidelity equipment.

Musical Fidelity and Jeff Rowland have been around for over 20 years. The other two im not quite sure about.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I recently needed to purchase an integrated amp since the left channel kept cutting out. I also wanted to spend around $500.00. I bought the Cambridge Audio azur 640 A. It is a fine sounding amp and better than my 9 year old Rotel. I use it to drive NHT SuperOnes which are not very efficient. The amp has excellent bass and smooth detailed high end. I bought it from Audio Advisor and they have a good return policy.

Quote Originally Posted by m500
    I'm looking for some good stereo integrate receiver at around $500.00 an no more then $1000.00 Some one recommended these to my but I never heard of them.
    Comments, please.

1. hyperion (Studio Accoustics www.hyperionsound.com base in walnut)
    2. Electrocompaniet
    3. Musical Fidelity
    4. Jeff Rowland
    5. PRIME
    Most of these are serious hi-end companies and the only way you'll touch a Rowland, Electro, Prime, or Hyperion is used through audiogon or a dealer that takes trade-ins. The Rowlands and Electro's are pretty dear when new, (think >$5K) so you'll be looking long and hard to find one that fits your budget. What in the world are you driving? Whoever recommended these to you has expensive tastes...and deep pockets!

If you want to buy new, you can get a MF X-150 for under $1k. The Prime is around $1,700, IIRC. Other brands you might consider (that actually fit your budget) are Rotel, NAD, Jolida, PrimaLuna (upscaleaudio.com), Cayin, Audio Refinement (YBA), and Cambridge Audio. Like John, I use a CA Azur and find it to be a very competent integrated, especially considering the price. However, make sure you audition as much as you can and see which one fits your needs best.

Hope this helps.

Thread Information