Forum Regular

Amplifier under 60 lbs

I am looking for a Stereo amplifier which would weigh less than 60lbs and can drive My paradigm Signature S4s. The stereo amplifier should be able to deliver at least 200 W of continous power.

I have observed Mcintosh's are very heavy. And infact most other amps are heavy. They weigh more than 80 lbs. I currently running these speakers on My B&K 7570 muti channel amp.

I need to get this amp thru a flight to India.. Anything greater than 70 lbs are not accepted by flight.
    Can you suggest me of some.

Thanks in advance

Pandu

Quote Originally Posted by pdhanwada
    I am looking for a Stereo amplifier which would weigh less than 60lbs and can drive My paradigm Signature S4s.
    There are any number of switching amps that meet your criteria. While I prefer conventional AB amps, many folks find switchers work well and they are compact and light.

rw
    Last edited by E-Stat; 10-30-2008 at 02:32 PM.

As an example ...

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    There are any number of switching amps that meet your criteria. While I prefer conventional AB amps, many folks find switchers work well and they are compact and light.

rw
    An example of high-quality, powerful (250 wpc 8 ohms), and light (27.5 lb) integrated would be the PS Audio GCC-250.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Take a look at the Van Alstine amps. His 250wpc (8ohms, 500wpc 4ohms) Tube amp the FET Valve Ulta 550 weighs only 38#'s. He also has a high current Solid State amp called the Insight 440H which is 220wpc and can drive 1ohm speakers. = 39#. All his amps, solid state and tube have a more analog sound with nice tight bass slam and a very detailed transparent sound. They are all hand made in his basement by qualified electronic people. I've been to his house and have seen the set up.

http://www.avahifi.com/root/equipmen...rison_grid.htm

I'm not sure if he ships oversea's. Send him an Email.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Here are some other amps under 60lbs

Cambridge Audio 840w http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CA840W

Parasound 2250 http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CA840W

Bel Canto Dual Mono amp weighs 15lbs and is 250wpcx2 at 8ohms and 500wpc at 4ohms, its a digital amp! http://www.belcantodesign.com/prod_S500.html#

Adcom GFA-5500 http://www.adcom.com/prod/shopdispla...=3&prodid=1152

Musical Fidelity A5.5 integrated amp http://www.musicalfidelity.com/products/a55/a55int.html

The Bel Canto really intrigues me.
    Last edited by blackraven; 10-30-2008 at 03:17 PM.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular

What is basic difference between Class A amps, Class AB, Class B, Class XD

There are different types of amps. It looks like the Class A ones are teh basic ones and they are the more popular ones. what different technology is used in other amplifiers. How does the sound quality affect with the type of the amplifier.

I saw cambridge audio one recommended in the post is Class XD type.

There are different types of amps. It looks like the Class A ones are teh basic ones and they are the more popular ones
    Only with small signal devices like preamps. Class A amps are inherently inefficient, heavy, and generate lots of heat. Actually, they are not the most popular, certainly not the most cost effective.

. what different technology is used in other amplifiers. How does the sound quality affect with the type of the amplifier.
    The most popular is the class AB amp. It operates class A to a point then switches over to the more efficient class B mode. Class A runs the devices always *on*. When AB amps switch over to class B, there is so called "notch" distortion. Also multiple devices each handle a part of the waveform. Its a group effort. While there are many excellent AB designs, A is technically superior.

I saw cambridge audio one recommended in the post is Class XD type.
    I gather that's simply their version of the Class D switching amp. These operate fundamentally different from analog amps. The perform their work at a very high frequency carrier wave which provides the efficiency. No large power supplies needed. Unfortunately, every one has residual RFI on the waveform due to the HF carrier. Call it "fuzz" on a square wave.

rw

Cambridge

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    I gather that's simply their version of the Class D switching amp. These operate fundamentally different from analog amps. The perform their work at a very high frequency carrier wave which provides the efficiency. No large power supplies needed. Unfortunately, every one has residual RFI on the waveform due to the HF carrier. Call it "fuzz" on a square wave.

rw
    Actually it sounds like Cambridge's "Class XD" isn't Class D at all, but a new method to manipulate the bias setting. This quote from Cambridge ...
    At the core of the 840A’s strength is a patent pending, Class XD (crossover displacement) technology which has been subtly revised following continuing post-launch development and critical evaluation. This unique design gives pure Class A operation at low levels, moving smoothly into an enhanced version of Class B at higher levels. This system should not be confused with Class AB, which inherently generates greater distortion at high levels than a pure Class B design. XD technology feeds a controlled current into the output stage actively displacing the crossover point in a new way so that the usual Class B crossover point no longer occurs at zero volume - the worst possible position in terms of distortion – but at a significant output level. The result is a smooth and linear transition between the two modes of operation, which differs significantly from the abrupt, gain transition of a Class AB amplifier.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Actually it sounds like Cambridge's "Class XD" isn't Class D at all, but a new method to manipulate the bias setting.
    Gotcha. Yet another sliding bias scheme. Naturally, theirs is unique and revolutionary! Yawn.

rw

Thread Information